fast parts in a slow computer

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

fast parts in a slow computer

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

As of right now i have a freenas (http://www.freenas.org) running in an older computer, 1.7celeron with i think a gig of ram. I bought a gigabit nic and a 750GB WD sata2 drive and a sata drive controller for it.

My main issue right now is that i am not getting GB speeds through the nic and i believe it has to do with the PCI bus being slower than what GB will allow. Even though the Sata controller isnt sata2 it should still be plenty for a GB network.

I know this is really wierd and i dont know what exactly to ask, do yall have any suggestions on what can be done?? I am trying to avoid going overkill and use my old setup AMDX2 with 2GB of ram and stuff.

I was thinking about running freenas in VMWARE in windows but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of running linux.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: fast parts in a slow computer

Post by Major_A »

Couple of things...
1. You do know that Gigabit networks work a CPU pretty hard. If you have a slow CPU on one end you will likely not fully utilize your conneciton.
2. Download SANDRA and run the network test to see what speeds you are getting.

I recently bought a couple Gigabit NICs and a Gigabit switch to connect my main rig to my HTPC. In all honesty I was expecting a night and day difference, truth is I haven't been impressed.

*EDIT*
Here is what I'm getting. Pretty sad too I'm running a 12 foot Cat6 cable from my switch to my HTPC and a 3 foot Cat6 cable from my main computer to the switch.