Buying A Preconfigured System...Thoughts

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Buying A Preconfigured System...Thoughts

Post by Razorbacx »

Well, I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and buy...sigh...a preconfigured system. ](*,) The wife has refused to allow me to build a new box, since I got a whopping 18 months of unreliable service from my last build. So, I have found a package deal that does seem pretty inticing and would like your opinions, please.

HP - Pavilion Media Center 9500 TV Desktop , Model# m8330f
AMD Phenom 9500
8500GT
3GB PC2-5300
TV Tuner/Capture Card w/Remote Control
640 GB HD
DVD RW Optical w/Lightscribe

LG - 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor, Model: L226WTQ-BF
HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer (model#?)

Package price at Best Buy is $1120.00 plus or minus a few dollars. I'm not sure how reliable HP computers are, but I could not find any negative reviews on this particular model. It meets all my requirements for home movie editing and such, although I would have preferred an 8800GT in place of the 8500GT. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Buying A Preconfigured System...Thoughts

Post by Alathald »

Ouch. That sucks. At $1120 you could have a great computer but if you have to buy prebuilt, just remember these guys work on commission so go in there without the wife and haggle him down to below $900-1000, if not farther. They WANT to sell you something cause they have a stake in it so use that against them.

Here's a fun read I found a few weeks back: http://www.esquire.com/features/money/ESQ0205NEGO_114_1
And a small website with some good tips on haggling: http://www.howtohaggle.com/

Sorry to hear about your misfortune :(
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

that sucks you can't build one... what about Intel processor based systems?

I'd almost suggest going Intel with integrated graphics then adding a GeForce 8800 GT, so you can actually game on that 22" monitor that comes with the system. You'll be able to save some money with the integrated graphics system and then pop in the GeForce 8800 GT once you get it home.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Stinks you can't build one, I see a lot of HP models in the course of a year, most have a Asus board in them, slightly modified and locked bios. Generally well behaved but rip out the bloatware after you make the backup disks. I wouldn't do any thing until I made the backup restore disks right out of the gate. Since their usually Asus boards it makes a guy wonder if ordering a bios from ASUS for the board would restore it's full bios functionality. Might be worth checking into.
snowking03
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by snowking03 »

Do you have something against dell because while their tech support is bottom of the barrel you can get some amazing deals on them with coupons and such.

I'd scour slick deals and fatwallet and keep an eye open for coupons.
Rigs:
AMD 3400+ Claw, DFI NF3 250GB, 1GB XMS3200 2-2-2-5, 9800 Pro, 2x80GB WD HDD Raid0, 320GB External
Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo, Test Pipe, WB02, Boost controller, EGR delete, Autometer Cobalts, etc.
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

A friend of mine has an older HP media center pc (x2 4400, etc).

He hasnt had a single problem with it, so I say go for it.
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

So what exactly happened to your first build that your wife is so against you building another?

Building your own is so much better and so much cheaper...I can't even imagine buying a pre-built system unless its a laptop.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

ibleet wrote:So what exactly happened to your first build that your wife is so against you building another?

Building your own is so much better and so much cheaper...I can't even imagine buying a pre-built system unless its a laptop.
To answer your question regarding what happened to my first build, well my HD died, then my video card, motherboard died (murdered by my video card), got a replacement motherboard and video card from the mfg'er, video card died again, got my replacement and then my just repaired motherboard started freaking out and now it won't even post. HD and replacement video card have been tested and are fine. RAM is fine. Motherboard is the problem and currently skt 939 is too expensive to try to resurrect, so I'm trying to look forward. Anyone interested in some pc parts? HA! Wife has had enough and so have I. My old P4 Dell that I gave my mother, which I've borrowed back in the interim, is still working fine. I can build an airplane, but I can't build a computer, so I'm going the preconfigured way.

Questions for you all....

1) I want to take my home movies and put them to DVD. Also, looking to add some special effects and music to try to make them more fun to watch. Does it matter whether or not I go AMD or Intel?

2) As far as graphics go, should I settle for nothing less than the 8800GT or could I go the route of an ATI card, such as the 2600 series or the 3800 series? I do want the ability to do some gaming, but I simply do not have the time to devote to anything serious. Just casual gaming.

3) Is Windows Vista worth a try?

4) How much ram will I need to do video editing, music and gaming? I want to make it enjoyable, not a problem.

5) Desktop or Laptop? SFF or Full? I recently found another deal at Best Buy for a Gateway FX laptop that came with a lower end Core 2 Duo proc and the GO 8800GTS video card. Price was $1249.00. Worth it or not?

6) I've found several online e-tailers offering up what appears to be really nice systems, but I have no idea who is trust worthy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
doghucat
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by doghucat »

I would go witjh C2D a 6750 or a 6850 or go quad but if you like the AMD they are a fast cpu also I have the C2D6750 and nothing slows it down but I also have a AMD 5000+ Black Edition OC'ed to 3.0 gig and it is fast also but not quite as fast as the C2D clocked at only 2.6 the L-2 has something to do with the speed. I personally would stay away from prebuild but to each there own.
Sandman/Intel C2D E8400 @3.00GHZ/ P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo / Xigmatik-1283 / 2-HD5670 Video-Crossfire / 4 Gig Kingston Ram / Antec P-180B Case
Notebook HP dv9720US 17" Wide Screen
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

maybe ibuypower.com would be a good option for you. they customize builds like alienware does but they're more affordable
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
ParoxysM
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ParoxysM »

Build one or else, lol.
ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Opteron 165 Denmark | Dual Dell UltraSharp 2007FP LCDs
150GB Raptor | Corsair XMS 2GB (1GBx2) DDR PC-3200 | MSI ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB
Max CPU - 2808@312*9 | Max FSB - 340*8 | Max HTT - 1480@296*5 | Max RAM - 2-3-3-6-1@225
3DMark2001 - 34650 | 3DMark2003 - 19377 | 3DMark2005 - 11901 | 3DMark2006 - 6159

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

First I would talk to your wife about buying the parts that you really want. Then if she doesn't let you build it, then tell her you will have a local comp store build it. If she says yes, then build it at a friends house. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

vbironchef wrote:First I would talk to your wife about buying the parts that you really want. Then if she doesn't let you build it, then tell her you will have a local comp store build it. If she says yes, then build it at a friends house. :)
That sir is epic craftyness.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

stopthekilling77 wrote:maybe ibuypower.com would be a good option for you. they customize builds like alienware does but they're more affordable
great suggestion. my buddy/roommate got one from them back several years ago and still runs great on it!!
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

just be sure to check their warranty policy and so on and so forth

buyer beware! but yeah ibuypower.com
customization
reliability
if you know what youre doing and what you want you might even get a really sweet deal!
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck building computers. I have built two and have not had an incident yet. I am now building 2 more...1 for a friend, and 1 for my son.

Sorry I can't give you advice on pre-built...but the simple matter is that I don't believe in buying pre-built anymore...spoiled by LR. :)

Best of luck!
DemonicDerek
Legit User
Legit User

Post by DemonicDerek »

Tell your wife that buying a pre-configured system while easier to troubleshoot really isn't a good solution because of all the crap that comes preloaded onto the computer that it basically takes out a good chunk of performance right from the start (and once it is in there it never leaves!).
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

vbironchef wrote:First I would talk to your wife about buying the parts that you really want. Then if she doesn't let you build it, then tell her you will have a local comp store build it. If she says yes, then build it at a friends house. :)
Never thought about that! The problem with doing something like that is that I'm so dang transparent that my wife would find out and anyway, I don't have any friends... :)

I'll look at ibuypower.com and see what they offer. I really don't want to go the route of Dell or HP and I want complete control over my build.

Thanks for all the responses, even those that might cause a divorce... :)

Razorbacx
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I feel your pain, but I cannot possibly imagine not building my own rigs. :goodman:
Dreamcrusher
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dreamcrusher »

Best Buy, Circuit City and so on...are for the non tech types to buy they're PCs. I can't believe that a person that visits a forum such as this would even consider such an action.
There are better gaming rig sales out there. ibuypower would be a better choice. You're going to get a better quality rig and great tech support. You also have to keep they're upgrading capability in mind.
PCgamer mag has a few companies' ads in there as well.