thoughts when purchasing

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Do You Use Ebay

NO
45%
Once in a While
50%
frequently
5%

Total votes: 22

skier

thoughts when purchasing

Post by skier »

allright, im lookin at a Pentium III processor to upgrade from my 600E to a 733 MHZ with a 133MHz FSB apposed to 100MHZ, i found one on ebay for a "buy now" of $1.50 + S&H of about $5- the user feedback was from tons of people that bought pentim III processors also

at http://cgi.ebay.com/brand-new-Pentium-I ... dZViewItem

Anyway-
what are good rules of thumb when buying off ebay, even if it only costs $7 anyone can give suggestions
Last edited by skier on Tue May 29, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I get stuff off ebay every once in a great while...the biggest problem with ebay now is the fact that it's nearly impossible to find good deals because most sellers are just using ebay as a store front. I generally only buy from a seller with a high rating (>%95) and have yet to have any problems. Still, is best to look around NewEgg & Tiger etc. to make sure you're getting a good deal cause stuff from ebay usaully doesn't have a warrenty. I'm also a little paranoid with ebay and don't like to use my credit card and while I'm sure it's probably perfectly safe, it's just my prefence to use money orders...

Well that's my two cents on ebay... :drinkers:

As far as what you're looking at, he takes MOs and has a high rating and if you get screwed (which I doubt) you're out $7.00, tops.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

for $7 on a PC that is used often it's worth a shot... Look at it like this... if you get scammed it's for $7... If you can live with losing that money then go for it... E-Bay is a risk and if you treat it like that then you'll be fine. I'll use if for little things like that, but I won't be buying anything in the thousands off it.
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

I guess I am from a different camp here. Although it may only be $7 if it is a loss, I am unwilling to give eBay my money since it has left its roots and become a cheesy strip mall on the web.

I personally wouldn't do it no matter how little money could be lost, but then again, I am one of those paycheck-to-paycheck guys so $7 is a lunch for me.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

I might have a 733 or 800 laying around that i could send you, but not if you are in a rush, got alot of stuff going on right now...
PS, just the actual cost of shipping will cover it,
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

Just one question, is this for a laptop? Specifically, an IBM Thinkpad 600E? (The model number you gave is a clue...)

If it isn't, and is a desktop, then ignore the following.

I've done a lot of research into older laptops, and if it is a Thinkpad 600E, then that cpu won't work in it. P3 laptops use a different system, two in fact. The first is this, the second is this. And the 600E uses the first one, the big card. The fastest possible cpu on this platform is an 850 model, which is still a 100mhz fsb. And they're damned expensize unfortunately. You'd think something that old would be as cheap as the little ones are, what with it being so old, but for some reason they're not.
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Once in a while I use it. For $7, go for it. That would probably be what shipping costs from a regular retailer :)

Neighbor of mine had HUGE problems with overseas bidders using stolen credit cards trying to buy his laptop he was selling! Ebay and paypal were so slow that he mailed it out the last time because they said everything was good, then came back and told him he needed to refund the money!

I dont trust ANYONE on ebay, but i have bought some things :) and sold some too!

Mike

Ebay needs to get rid of the store fronts and go back to being an auction site. I can find better deals on most items elsewhere on the web, or at least the same prices.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Post by skier »

Darkstar wrote:I might have a 733 or 800 laying around that i could send you, but not if you are in a rush, got alot of stuff going on right now...
PS, just the actual cost of shipping will cover it,
i need a 733 with 133 FSB, thats all my board can handle(so i would only pay to ship it?)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

My best advice to any e-bay newbie is to do your research before you decide to place your bid! Research the seller by looking at their history and read a few pages of comments to get a feel for the reputation of the seller... Location is important as well... I personally stay away from any seller that is not located on the same continent as myself ;)

Make sure to read all of the auction description for terms of payment, shipping, etc. so you know what you are getting into before you place that bid. Many sellers like to gouge the buyer on shipping and make additional profit from a high shipping rate :evil: :roll:

That being said, for the small amount that it would cost you, I would take the plunge and get that CPU, unless Darkstar can hook you up ;)
"Who' doing what now?"
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

its hard to beat the price if that Proc will work for you, the seller has been around since 1998 and sells alot of CPU's. I have several Gateway Solo, 5300's (screen out, backlight?) that i was going to piece out or sell. they have been laying around though and i kind of forgot about them till i saw your post. I am pretty sure they are in the range from 600 to 800, but cant remember whats in there.... So like i said i "might" have one, no guarantee, so you might consider getting the ebay deal.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's