Video Card Question

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Video Card Question

Post by Mortious »

I have had my 7900GS (BFG) for a bit now, and was wanting to SLI that card, when I went to newegg this morning I found they are out out stock and it looks like on the BFG page I am going to have no luck either.

So my question is actually 2 parts.

1. Can I mix manufactures in an SLI configuration as long as the core speeds are the same?
2. Should I just jump to the 8 series cards?

Im wanting to spend no more than $160.00.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Card Question

Post by DMB2000uk »

hehe, the nvidia FAQ is your friend:
Can I mix and match graphics cards?
In order to provide optimal symmetric scaling, SLI technology requires the NVIDIA GPUs to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT. However, using the latest Release 80 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards is one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce 7800 GTX that is overclocked (for example BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC) can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce 7800 GTX.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
While it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer this flexibility using Coolbits. When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. For example, if your first card is a GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory, you should purchase a second GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory. However, using Coolbits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes. Instructions to enable this feature can be found here.
The only thing that would make going to an 8 series card worth it is if you went for an 8800gts or higher. But they are more expensive than $160.
The 8600 line isn't worth it imo as the performance is so close to your card that you won't see a tangible gain (unless DX10 counts as one).

So SLI might actually be a viable option in this situation. Bear in mind that in games that don't properly support sli (its bad to think that there are still some with how long sli has been around) you will only still get the performance of one 7900GS.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-pro ... 14-133-186

Different manufacturer but it doesn't matter. Don't worry about chief value they are owned by Newegg/ABS.
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

Dan, thanks, heh its funny if I have questions the first place I think about asking is here instead of looking on the manufacturers site...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Why search when you know someone else will do it for you :P

If more people Googled first then asked later it would be nice, but I guess part of that is knowing where to look (and what you are looking for).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

So looking at my options, and looking at the 8800's. What sort of increase could I expect going from my BFG 7900gs to say the XFX 8800GTS 320 meg card?
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

You're going to see a major DECREASE.....

(in your wallet) :mrgreen:

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

So its not an upgrade?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, he was making a joke, at how much it would cost.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Considering your budget and other things (pricing, compatibility, etc.), I would keep your current card a bit longer. As you can see from my Sig, I'm running a 7900 GS. I game a lot and I can run most games wide open with little or no slow down. I chose not to SLI because at this point, it will make little to no difference in most games and apps that I run. I also chose to stay away from Vista for obvious reasons, so the 8x series cards were not an option for me either. When mainstream products catch up to technology in these areas, and Vista has more of the bugs worked out, then I will consider the upgrades.

I don't do the "keep up with the Jones'" thing, so I'm perfectly content, especially considering that my comp runs everything perfectly well. :)
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

The one im looking at is 300, but I dont want to buy it if there isnt much of a difference.

Unless its a noticable difference, I guess my money would be better spent on other items.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well...

An 8800GTS 320MB will give you roughly 55% average performance increase over your single 7900GS.

7900GS SLI will give you roughly a 40% average performance increase over a single 7900GS.

So looks like the better single card is still the better choice. But it is more expensive still than just going sli.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

Thats the info I was after, thanks much.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You're welcome ^_^

Dan

(Be funny if I had of just pulled those numbers out of my ass ^_^)
(Don't worry, I didnt :snakeman: )
Image (<- Clickable)
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

Yep it would be, but considering I have seen you give good advice before, I think Im safe in trusting it... :)