Building New PC

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Building New PC

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

I have been researching different PC components, and have picked the following base components (the prices in parentheses are the cheapest I could find with shipping included):

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 ($200)
Motherboard: DFI BLOOD IRON P35-T2RL ($147)
Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2 6400 4-4-4-12 ($57 after rebates) - from what I've heard it overclocks easily to PC2 8500 with timings 5-5-5-15
PSU: Either keep my current 500W Ultra X-Connect or get 700W ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ700 for $100 after rebates ($0-$100)
Harddrive: Either Seagate or Western Digital 500 GB (around $120)

I was curious on what your opinions are on the parts I have listed above. I'm also not sure yet which graphics card I should go with (was thinking of 8800GTS). I also want to go with water-cooling, and would like to spend $200 or less on the cooling (I know about Nautilus kit, but was wondering if that would be the best investment and if there are still places selling it). I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building New PC

Post by dicecca112 »

Get a different PSU. Not a fan of the Ultra. Look at the Corsair 520. As for watercooling, this is pretty good from what I here http://www.swiftnets.com/products/h20-120-compact.asp. GTS would be a good choice on graphics.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

dicecca112 wrote:Get a different PSU. Not a fan of the Ultra. Look at the Corsair 520. As for watercooling, this is pretty good from what I here http://www.swiftnets.com/products/h20-120-compact.asp. GTS would be a good choice on graphics.
I'm in complete agreement with Dicecca on this one.
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Alright, would it be a good investment to buy a second memory kit to get 4 GB?

Also, I stumbled upon this liquid chiller as well (it seems to be using different method from conventional radiator), what do you guys think of it: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5345/ ... 0c83#blank
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about750 ... lit=coolit

^_^

Basically, if you get a good one, they are good, but if you get a naff one, you will have lots of trouble and mediocre performance.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Thanks for the link, I was seriously considering buying it, but all the horror stories definitely changed my mind. dicecca112, your recommended cooling system seems like a good solution, but after reading a few reviews I'm worried that with a GPU waterblock added to the system and overclocked components, the kit might not be able to keep the temperatures under control. Could someone who tried one fo these with GPU waterblock confirm/disprove this suspicion?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I think it would still work. But you would just see higher temperatures than if you were only cooling the CPU (or had a bigger radiator).

But i think that it would be no less able to deal with the added GPU temps than say the Nautilus would be too. Ideally you'd want a 2x120mm radiator, but getting one of those in a kit from Swiftech is like $300+.

So I priced up some individual Swiftech stuff, dual 120mm rad etc and using a tline filling approach (instead of a res), you can get the parts you'd need for $250 (But that is without tax and shipping).

So you can either choose to save up and pay more for better performance, or just try running them both on a 120mm rad with silightly hindered performance. (or you could just watercool the CPU and try for a beefy air cooler on the graphics?)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)