Monitor Refresh Rate

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Monitor Refresh Rate

Post by IssE »

I didn't know where to put this, so I posted it in General forums.
Alright simply put this what the title says. My resolution is 1600*1050 and thus I only get 60 mhz. The problem is whats the point of having a graphics card that puts out more then 60 fps, since you will only ever see 60 fps. You guys most probably already knew this but I am wondering is there a way around it. I changed my resolution to 800*600 and got 75 mhz, when I clicked 100mhz I got this black screen, and got automatically changed to 75 mhz.

My monitor is an lg 20.1`
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Monitor Refresh Rate

Post by Darkstar »

Not sure what you are referring/asking to in part there , the horizontal and vertical scanning frequencies are measured in Hz and not Mhz or Fps. You didnt mention what model you have (LCD or Graphics) but you should be able to set it not to display anything thats out of range.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

IssE wrote:I didn't know where to put this, so I posted it in General forums.
Alright simply put this what the title says. My resolution is 1600*1050 and thus I only get 60 mhz. The problem is whats the point of having a graphics card that puts out more then 60 fps, since you will only ever see 60 fps. You guys most probably already knew this but I am wondering is there a way around it. I changed my resolution to 800*600 and got 75 mhz, when I clicked 100mhz I got this black screen, and got automatically changed to 75 mhz.

My monitor is an lg 20.1`
Turn off VSync. Now the framerates aren't locked to the monitor's refresh rate.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

exactly what major A said.
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

Major_A wrote:Turn off VSync. Now the framerates aren't locked to the monitor's refresh rate.
Eh? Apart from tearing, and performance issues in some circumstances, it doesn't really matter, if the refresh rate is 60 Hz, only 60 fps are shown, regardless of how many the gpu renders.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Are you running an LCD or CRT?

Will it not run the 1680x1050 @ 75Hz?

And Zelig is right, if the 60Hz is the max it will do, then 60fps is all you will see. However most people cannot distinguish the difference between anything above 60fps, so it is really a mute point that your monitor won't display anything above it.

Have games lost their enchantment so much that you are worrying about frame rates now? :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Yep, 60Hz means the image is refreshed 60 times in a second, type of panel doesn't matter.

Also, NTSC is 29,97FPS and your TV doesn't "lag". In fact, your eyes can't see more than 24 frames per second.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Zertz wrote:Also, NTSC is 29,97FPS and your TV doesn't "lag". In fact, your eyes can't see more than 24 frames per second.
Not quite true, TV and cinema get away with less frames per second for two reasons that I can remember;
You are further away from the screens than with monitors, and the added brightness from them creates almost a burn in effect on your retina, so that the frame will merge with the next one.

While 30fps is definitely fluid video, if you were to have a 30fps and a 60fps side by side, you would be able to tell the difference. There is something about LCD's too that you have to have higher than 30fps (preferably 60 or something) to be able to get an immersion feel of the game, again I forget exactly what it was that caused this.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Zelig wrote:
Major_A wrote:Turn off VSync. Now the framerates aren't locked to the monitor's refresh rate.
Eh? Apart from tearing, and performance issues in some circumstances, it doesn't really matter, if the refresh rate is 60 Hz, only 60 fps are shown, regardless of how many the gpu renders.
I was giving the quick answer.
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by IssE »

Thats what I thought, but is there no way of making your monitor have a higher refresh rate?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If it doesn't support it then no.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)