8800GT or wait?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

8800GT or wait?

Post by KnightRid »

Should I pull the trigger and buy a 8800GT (when someone gets them back in stock at a price BELOW $250) or should I wait to see about a DX10.1 card?

Is there much difference between DX10 and DX10.1?

I hate to pay above $200 for a video card, but this is just too damn tempting! Plus the boss said she would get it for me for Christmas :mrgreen:

Let me know what your thoughts are on the subject. I would like to get the 8800gt that comes with Company of Heroes Opposing Force Fronts, but I can settle for another one - I think ASUS has the COH game in them.

Mike

Hopefully this will pair well with the intel bundle this year that she will be getting also ;)

edit for getting the games name wrong :roll:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 8800GT or wait?

Post by ibleet »

There is always something new on the horizon. I'm not waiting on this one. Usually when I wait, Its not worth it anyway. You can't stay ahead of technology for very long no matter what you do.

I will most likely look for one from XFX as I like their recent offerings and they usually bundle a decent game.

No one would have known you edited your post since there were no posts under yours at the time.
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by slayer22 »

meh, just wait for your boss only one and a half months away and if your good she made get u the top quality...;) with the money that your going to buy a 8800gts jst buy a asus eeepc(check it out if u havnt i wouldnt mine one very useful and not as bulky, roughly around 300 US ;] )
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:Should I pull the trigger and buy a 8800GT (when someone gets them back in stock at a price BELOW $250) or should I wait to see about a DX10.1 card?
AMD will have 3800 series cards for less than $200 and they will be good cards that consume less power and do HDMI out and all that fun stuff which is ideal for HTPC's and media PC's. As for waiting for a DX10.1 card... you really mean to say wait for Vista SP1... doesn't matter if the cards come out with directX 11, because if microsoft doesn't support it the new features like global illumination don't mean crap.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

I would personally do a little benchmarking on your system and see how your system does. You should upgrade when you think your system is getting slow. If you want to upgrade your system, wait. Come 2008, Nvidia will release the g 92 (which I think means the geforce 9200). It is supposed to be an amazing card.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

tekgek wrote:I would personally do a little benchmarking on your system and see how your system does. You should upgrade when you think your system is getting slow. If you want to upgrade your system, wait. Come 2008, Nvidia will release the g 92 (which I think means the geforce 9200). It is supposed to be an amazing card.
G92 = 8800GT
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:
AMD will have 3800 series cards for less than $200 and they will be good cards that consume less power and do HDMI out and all that fun stuff which is ideal for HTPC's and media PC's. As for waiting for a DX10.1 card... you really mean to say wait for Vista SP1... doesn't matter if the cards come out with directX 11, because if microsoft doesn't support it the new features like global illumination don't mean crap.
I am running Vista Ultimate now, so SP1 is a gimmee when it comes out to download it. I was just thinking ahead :) I do not replace video cards every year, maybe every 2-3 years when they totally die out on games I play. I have a 7600GT right now and Supreme Commander doesnt care for it too much at high settings :) My monitor only does 1280X1024 native for the highest resolution so I wont be going to 1600X1200 or anything, so a decent video card will usually last for the 2-3 years. I am just concerned that once DX10.1 comes out that it will already be implemented in games and I will lose out after only 6 months after buying this card. I imagine DX11 is a couple years away yet.

3800 with HDMI for under $200 - WOW - I will have to do some research on that! Thanx! If it will do gaming decent, I might grab that one and plug it into the 2" Olevia lcd upstairs ;)

Mike

Ok, since everyone is sold out at the moment anyway, I will wait for a bit :) I am gonna check to see if they have a release date for the 3800 yet and go from there!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Even if the 8800GT's were in stock (I am) I'd wait at least till the new AMD cards are released (they are supposed to be DX10.1 versions) and the 8800GT prices to come down to what they are supposed to be (MSRP)............. :mrgreen:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Even if the 8800GT's were in stock (I am) I'd wait at least till the new AMD cards are released (they are supposed to be DX10.1 versions) and the 8800GT prices to come down to what they are supposed to be (MSRP)............. :mrgreen:
I agree! I won't buy one unless it is below MSRP. Gotta love the opportunists, they prey on the impatient. :finga:
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I'm personally waiting until May, then the graphics wars will have settled, albeit briefly, and it will be "upgrade time" in my buying cycle...
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

If only anyone had them in stock for a good price.
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

I would buy one, as a matter of fact I intend to buy one here in the next couple months. Judging by the disappointment that was the Radeon X2XXX line, I would jump on this opportunity, and quick. Out of the 20 or so reviews available on newegg, about a quarter of them had MASSIVE overclocks going on theirs with perfect stability. I am sold 100%.

DX 10.1 is a hardware upgrade? I thought it was simply a newer set of instructions to go to the card, guess I didn't understand DX fully after all...
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Yes, what exactly does DX 10.1 do?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Tim Burton wrote:Yes, what exactly does DX 10.1 do?
adds a cool .1 to 10

:mrgreen:

Mike
actually I found this - http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index. ... &Itemid=29

SLOW SITE

I have also been reading where the 10.1 update will not require a new GPU?? everyone can use it that can use 10? Then the article above says you will need new hardware for it - would be nice for everyone to have the same info :)