Possible cpu problem

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Possible cpu problem

Post by InspectahACE »

Howdy,

I'm now on a quest to see what could be wrong now with my rig as i switched out my motherboards after my Asus seems to have fouled up on me(first 2 memory slots wont boot with memory in it but the other 2 will)...I reinstalled the stock heatsink to see if maybe me installing the zalman 9500 messed somethin up as it was my first time using a heatsink of that nature..im used ot the push pin type of the stock fan.. Anyhow...it seems that even on a different motherboard the cpu gets astronomically hot...I checked the heatsink and paste the first time..wasnt enough compound...reapplied the Artic silver 5 and it was still hittin 80+ degrees Celsius....im sure theres enough thermal compound( but i will check again after work) but is it even remotely possible that my cpu is damaged? far as i knew, if it was it wouldnt boot...but if its hittin that high already within 3 minutes of being turned on with the stock heatsink when i havent had issues before, it makes me wonder,..
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible cpu problem

Post by Apoptosis »

is there anyway you can take a picture of how much thermal compound you are putting on? Like yank the HSF and take a picture before you clean anything off of both the cpu and hsf. It's possible something fried in the CPU the first time this happened and is causing all this.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

i do have a pic from when i removed the zalman when the issue first arose...just hope i can get it on the pc as i lost my micro sd adapter....ill take one when i take the stock one off when i get home today(with a real camera no cell phone crap cam)...i do know the reason i reapplied it the other day was that there was literally only a bb size amount of AS5...which was weird as normally it supposed to spread out...but didnt that time..
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

just smear it around with your finger... a bb size drop with thick compounds isn't going to cover right.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

hehe...well i did have too much when i took the zalman HS off lol...i mean...im surprised i didnt see any get on the chip itself...but got lucky on that one....well home from work...will upload that pic asap to show ya...now...as much as i know too much or too little will mess it up...should it pretty much cover from end to end or just enough to where it wont squeeze out when i put the heatsink on?
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

I used AS Ceramique for my CPU, and as far as I've heard its ultra sticky compared to AS5, but the easiest way to apply it for me was to grab a sandwich bag and stretch it out over my finger, then put about a rice-grain sized amount on the CPU, then I smoothed it out with the stretched part of the bag over my finger, it wasn't perfect, but once it heats up it will spread and set fully. It ended up that about 2/3 of the CPU surface was see-through thin and the other third not quite. Again it will spread out over time. Keep in mind that you only need in the fractions of a millimeter of compound to transfer the heat, any more and efficiency decreases exponentially.

Hope this helps! Sandwich bag and see-through is my advice!
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble