USB 3.0

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

USB 3.0

Post by Methious »

Any one seen a projected release for USB 3.0, last I saw they were going to have like a year long ANSI conference with vendors on standards it'd be nice if they got it out in time for the new chip sets.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: USB 3.0

Post by Darkstar »

last i read, it was slated for first half of 2008, which most likely will get bumped to 2009

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

That's kinda what I was figuring, it'll probably be a while before any thing really uses it anyway.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Why not just use eSATA for thumb drives and keep USB 2.0 for lower end peripherals that don't need high data transfer rates (mice, keyboards, game controllers etc) I don't understand the need for USB 3.0 when eSATA sounds so promising.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Probably universal connectivity on the usb port, supposed to be 10X usb 2.0 speed. Up in the Giga Bit range. I use usb a lot to transfer files to and from computers I'm working on cause most of what you see isn't esata hardware. Once I get windows loaded I hook up the external HD, run a .bat file and all I have to do is walk by once in a while and hit a key or two and my basic load of software practically loads itself. Takes longer from usb 2.0 but I don't have to drag out the disk portfolio and swap disks in and out.

To much usb stuff out there to do a cold stop on the technology. Same reason you see PCI expansion still on most machines. Break with the old technology too quick and see how many people you miff off.

Besides I can't connect my USB powered rocket launcher to ESATA :shock:
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

Well I'm assuming USB 3.0 will be backward compatible (haven't read ANYTHING on the subject, just an assumption) just like USB 2.0. Otherwise like you said will upset a large group of 2.0 users...
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

From what I've read usb 3.0 will be backwards compatible, and be 10x faster. 4.8gbs instead of 480mbs. I forget the other stuff I read, that was all the important part.