Quite the delima, could use some help {SOLVED}

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Nastidon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Quite the delima, could use some help {SOLVED}

Post by Nastidon »

Ok, here is the thing, I just baught an nVidia 680i motherboard. As I was hooking everything in, I was surprized to find that it has an 8-pin 12v connector, I looked through my power supplies different connections, and it only has a 4-pin. Ok not too hard to solve, I baught a 4-pin to 8-pin 12v adapter, everything fit in nice and snug. The problem is that, when I hit the power switch I get nothing. The only thing that turns on is the Motherboards blue LED light. Other than that, nothing, no fans turn, nothing at all, anyone know why?
Under the hood:

MB: nVidia nForce 680i SLI
Video: Geforce 8600 GTS 256
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Edition
Ram: 2000 MB at 800 Mhz
CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHZ
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Quite the delima, could use some help

Post by martini161 »

could you post a link to the newegg pages of your procesor, mother board, and psu, and if you can the 4-8 pin adapter you used? that would be helpfull
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you got all the power cables plugged in correctly and still nothing? what power supply are you trying to run?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Try taking out the 4-8 pin adaptor, and putting the 4 pin in one side of the 8pin motherboard connector, don't force it, it will only go in one side.

If it still doesn't start, and you are confident with messing about with your PSU, give this a try;
Unplug all teh PSU connectors to you system, with everything but the main power kettle plug disconnected, jump the green wire to a black wire on your 24pin mobo connector, turn on your PSU, but ONLY for a couple of seconds, if you leave it on like this it will damage your PSU. If the PSU fan starts up then your PSU looks to be OK and it will either be a dodgy connection somewhere or a bad board.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Nastidon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Nastidon »

Well, DMB2000uk, I tried all of what you said, except messing with the PSU, it is just about brand new. Anyway, I got to looking on the a forum dedicated to 680i problems, and came across a PDF of the MB's manual online, the board in the box only comes with a small sheet of instructions ( go figure ). The problem I had was mainly my own goofy fault. I was connecting the front panel connectors on the wrong pins :lol: so my power switch wasn't connected correctly, thus is why I got no happy happy turn on. I really do appreciate all your help.
Under the hood:

MB: nVidia nForce 680i SLI
Video: Geforce 8600 GTS 256
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Edition
Ram: 2000 MB at 800 Mhz
CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHZ
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, well glad you got it fixed then, it's almost like a law that you have to mess something up when you rebuild your rig ^_^

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)