My hospital trip

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

My hospital trip

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

I sliced my foot open today on a piece of exposed computer frame, so I had to spend three hours in the ER. It's about 2 - 2 1/2 inches long, required 13 stitches, and I have to stay off of it for about 2 weeks, maybe more. :mrgreen:

Anyone else had fun injuries in the past?

P.S. I can still work though! =D>

P.P.S. Pics tomorrow hopefully! :supz:
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: My hospital trip

Post by stev »

I sliced open my thumb, actually almost sawed it off at the first knuckle using a gourmet kitchen knife. It took surgical super-glue to repair the cartridge and six stitches. After 20 years, I still have a faint scar.

Now that you're back home, make sure you keep off of the foot and keep it clean. The last thing you need is a bad infection in the foot. A co-worker of mine had that happen. Then in three years he had to have the foot amputated due to a bad recurrence of the infection.

Keep a set of clean socks on the foot and get a nice, comfortable slipper that slides on/off easily. Don't get anything too tight. Let things breathe.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The forums aren't big enought and I don't feel like typing that much to list everything............ :shock:

A quick and easy listing, 14 major fractors by the time I finished high school (motocross racing) and 2 helicopter crashes while I was in the service......... :lol: . Damaged just about everything at one time or another throughout my life.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

The Black Pumpkin wrote:I sliced my foot open today on a piece of exposed computer frame
Oh, the things we go through in the pursuit of our loves!

I've been somewhat lucky as I've only really had one "hospital required" injury and that was when I was younger but it did leave me with an interesting souvenir. When I was younger a friend and I were 'racing' toward a decorative well, I tripped right before getting to it, tagged the corner of the well with my forehead (winning the race...I think) and getting knocked unconscious. When I came too, I had a nice, purple, grapefruit sized lump which I still have a remnant of (bout the size of a pea) which is, ironically enough, in the exact center of my forehead like a third eye (yeah, I'm a freak). Other than that, I had most of the childhood injuries normal people have as kid (no broken bones though, yay me!) and a couple major surgeries and quite a few minors, though none of those have to do with an 'injury'.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Bio-Hazard wrote:The forums aren't big enought and I don't feel like typing that much to list everything............ :shock:
agreed... but on a foot related note, I sliced open a toe on a pontoon boat runner. Needed 6 stitches to button it back up and a tetanus shot for fun.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

WOW - take care of the foot!

never really had a computer incident other than cuts and stitches.

Best one for me was when I was riding a motorcycle (drunkin early years :roll: ) and hit a guard rail. Stuck the handle bars into my abdomen and had a nice 1 inch deep pulsatin gash - hospital loved that one - oh scraped my hand too, but seeing your abdomen pulsating while drunk is an experience nobody should ever have :)

Reason #186,432,765,234 to stop drinking :mrgreen:

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

My foot doesn't really hurt, it's just annoying not being able to step on it. I think my shoulders hurt the most, from the crutches.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Best computer injury, broke my neck and ruptured 3 vertebrae moving a server rack at a newspaper in South Carolina. Got stuck on a gap in the tiles in the floor pitched forward while I had hold of it, snapped my neck bull whip style. Got some nice internal Titanium jewelery out of the deal. Good neurosurgeon though I can still do my computer repair thing and most importantly all the parts below the neck still work. :shock:

Lesson: Don't mess with Dell Servers they might mess back.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:Best computer injury, broke my neck and ruptured 3 vertebrae moving a server rack at a newspaper in South Carolina. Got stuck on a gap in the tiles in the floor pitched forward while I had hold of it, snapped my neck bull whip style. Got some nice internal Titanium jewelery out of the deal. Good neurosurgeon though I can still do my computer repair thing and most importantly all the parts below the neck still work. :shock:

Lesson: Don't mess with Dell Servers they might mess back.
How in the hell did a rack fall over! I've never seen one that wasn't bolted to the floor!

I've a metal bar in my left shin. I've also got a dislocated left shoulder which has never been popped back into place. There's now a lump above it with a bone poking out.
the docs say I left it too long and the bones have now fused together.

We all have our beer scars :mrgreen:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Me not so much, the wife on the other had :roll: the ER nurses ask "how are the kids"

If she was a horse, I'd done shot her years ago. :lol:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Bio-Hazard wrote:and 2 helicopter crashes while I was in the service
OK, you win.

I don't have any good stories
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

They had every thing on a wire roll rack more suitable for food service than servers. When I suggested they move to a real rack and have it bolted down I was informed that I was in the South now and they didn't have all the financial resources us Northerners did. It didn't go over it just caught on the crack in the tile floor between the tiles (grout line) rocked sharply forward jerking me while I was stupidly trying to prevent it from tipping. The settlement was nice and I have a cool copy of the MRI on disk for a memento.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Methious wrote:They had every thing on a wire roll rack more suitable for food service than servers. When I suggested they move to a real rack and have it bolted down I was informed that I was in the South now and they didn't have all the financial resources us Northerners did. It didn't go over it just caught on the crack in the tile floor between the tiles (grout line) rocked sharply forward jerking me while I was stupidly trying to prevent it from tipping. The settlement was nice and I have a cool copy of the MRI on disk for a memento.
They disabled me due to a serious neck injury! Guess I should have seen your doctor! My life was only worth $60,000-lawyer fees - so I might have gotten about $38,000 - not even a years wages.

Oh I have a cool picture of a discogram/discography being done - x-ray/mri (whatever it is) with 3 needles sticking into my neck into my discs - real topic starter. I wanted to get it framed, but the old ball and chain said no :p

Mike

Everyone in the computer industry needs to ask for hazard pay :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I hear ya mine was worth $45K after fees. $65k before, lawyer lowered his fees to 25% from 33% cause he felt like he should have gotten more. Go figure a lawyer with a conscience. The doctor was good, did the operation in office (right next to a major hospital), still have a lot of problems with it like any other anterior fusion of cervical disks. Was kinda freaky being driven home after, was a 50 mile road trip out of Myrtle Beach to home. Had the sore throat from hades for 5 weeks. Caused a narrowing of the spinal canal so movement causes impingement on the spinal nerves, pain and loss of feeling in the right arm and hand.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Yah, mine doesn't hold a candle to Methious' neck-cracking. :shock:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Was my own fault really, what was I thinking hold onto a teetering roll rack. Really though there was no thinking when stuff happens it happens so fast you just react. It wasn't all bad I got a new lappy out of it (old now), moved back to Missouri, bought a house and payed off my car.
johnaintdoe
Legit User
Legit User

Post by johnaintdoe »

I'm pretty careful most of the time. Worst injury probably a soldering iron burn across my hand, no scars.
I almost got shocked to death when I was messing with exposed wires in China to get the light working.
Plz, have mercy, I know nothing about (modern) computing!!!
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

A friend of mine did a similar thing before coming to a LAN, he cut his foot on his computer case and he showed up and asked for the first aid kit. It was a pretty bad gash and he probably should have gone to the hospital, but he decided to LAN instead.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

inko1nsiderate wrote:A friend of mine did a similar thing before coming to a LAN, he cut his foot on his computer case and he showed up and asked for the first aid kit. It was a pretty bad gash and he probably should have gone to the hospital, but he decided to LAN instead.
That's either addiction to gaming or a hardcore attitude right there!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

When I was in my early teens, I sliced open my foot by stepping on a broken beer bottle some ass wipe had thrown into the water at the boat launching ramp. I should have had stitches but we couldn't afford it, so I went home and bandaged it up myself. Medicare didn't pay for stitching back then.