What's your favorite brand DVD Burner?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

What's your favorite brand DVD Burner?

Post by Topher »

I'm about to purchase a new DVD burner and thought I'd ask everyone what their favorite brand name is for DVD burners.
Now, I already have my favorites, but I like to get a consensus of what everyone else is using before making my final purchase decision.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm about to order a Lite-On LH-20A1L drive. Newegg has a good deal on them right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106073
FZ1

Re: What's your favorite brand DVD Burner?

Post by FZ1 »

i have that drive...really haven't used it though
Joe
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The non Light scribe version of the Lite-On is what I use, works great and its a lot better than the old Lite-On it replaced (less noise).
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Samsung for me. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827151153

I mistakenly ordered IDE drivers for my build. Once I get a few bucks, I'm replacing them with the above linked drive and putting the IDEs in my older machines that only have CDs.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I go with the cheapest I can find
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

dicecca112 wrote:I go with the cheapest I can find
How often do you burn DVDs?
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Depends. Keep in mind I haven't used a Desktop since May 07. I use a laptop now. I sold my old tower to a buddy in May 06, his Lite On el cheapo is still working great. My last Desktop went to my sisters fiancee, another elcheapo Lite On, works great still. I guess I should have said Lite on then huh?
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I have a non light scribe versoin of it also. I too go with the cheapest with the best reviews.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

Depends. Keep in mind I haven't used a Desktop since May 07. I use a laptop now.
Laptop only huh? I guess you're not much of a gamer then?
I've romanced the idea of dumping the desktop for a laptop, but as long as game developers keep pushing the limits of hardware, I'll probably just stick with the desktop.
Hell, I call my last upgrade the "Crysis Upgrade". This is the second time now where a single game release has caused me to upgrade my rig.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

nope, not anymore. I play Wii occasionally.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I usually go Lite-on or Sony depending on if I buy it locally. Locally Lite-on from Wal-Mart cause if they die their replaced locally. Online I buy Sony. If it's going in a gaming rig you might think about dual layer. Like you my last upgrade was a Crysis upgrade, not so much to play it but to be ready for up and coming games. Now at least one game is requiring a dual layer dvd drive. Specifications here: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about13781.htm

If that's any indication of the future format their releasing games in I'd hedge my bets and go dual.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I have one Lite-on IDE burner and two Samsung Sata burners...never had an issue with any of them. You can't really go wrong if you just go with the speeds you need and pick one with decent reviews.
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Topher wrote:Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm about to order a Lite-On LH-20A1L drive. Newegg has a good deal on them right now.
I have that same drive and it has had no problems whatsoever other than reading the Securerom disc protection.
It'll beat, bang, and pop for several seconds and finally get past it to read the software.

I bought a Plextor and it doesn't have that problem.
http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 4&CatId=89
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I have used several for long periods. I've been using the below LG for about 14 months now. I get new movies every tuesday and then back them up. I use the backups for daily use. I can tell you that I have only had a few platters - usually caused by my own mistakes. I don't know how many spindles of discs that I've gone through on this drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136103

For media I use Taiyo Yuden only for movies. For data I typically use Verbatim or TDK. I get my media at supermediastore.com.

Other drives that I've used on other builds:
Lite-On SOHW-1633S -- beat the heck out of this drive, still running on one of my guinea pig systems
There's also an NEC drive that I've put in a few systems, but can't remember the model # off the top of my head.

I have yet to try a SATA burner, might go that route on the next build or if my drive happens to tank.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Don't get the ASUS drive, I just got it, and it is kinda loud, and wrote 4 backup discs with a ton of files with errors. I was so happy to find that out after formatting the drive all of the files were on. luckily they were audio and EXEs mostly, which I can get again.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

I have a Samsung (a built by Toshiba product iirc)

After about a year, it started to make a LOUD squel whenever reading a dvd. Cant even watch DVD movies with this pc because of it.

From what I have been reading around the web, Lite-On seems to be the best, and will be the next drive I buy.
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
cyberlicity
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cyberlicity »

lite-on or sony usually.
though my last purchase was an Asus. unlike other reviewer here, i have no problems whatsoever with it under XP or Vista. *shrug* beats me.
burns like a champ through every program and brand of media i put it through and reads loads better than my poor dying second-hand-Samsung drive it's supposed to replace.
Jesperkatt
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Jesperkatt »

My favorite is NEC DVD RW ND-3570A

I have two of these, on separate puters.
Have burnt some 2500 DVDs on different brands of disk and only had 1 bad burn.
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

I use a lite on with lightscribe. I have to say no complaints yet.
Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3.0Ghz
2gb of patriot ram reduced latency.
500GB 7200 rpm Seagate (baracuda)
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

I've already purchased the Lite-On LH-20A1L drive and it arrived today.