Dell motherboards

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Dell motherboards

Post by Merlin »

Does anyone know who makes all the micro ATX boards for Dell??
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Dell motherboards

Post by bubba »

Dell.. LOL no don't know who makes them.

Sad to say if your looking to replace a Dell mobo you need a Dell mobo. The OS and other software won't load on anything else. You MIGHT get lucky and can use the key with a standard OS disk of the flavor your running but wouldn't hold your breath. If it doesn't then your down to buying an OEM OS.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I don't have a Dell I am just checking to see who makes the most stable Micro ATX MOBO and a very large number of Dell PC use micro ATX. My thinking was whoever makes the boards for Dell probably has one they sell under their own name and it would have to be fairly stable or Dell wouldn't buy them. I am about to abandom the whole micro ATX idea simply becauese there has to be a reason why nobody has one and not many people make them and they are farther behind the "cutting edge".
Merlin
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
allenpan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by allenpan »

depend on what model, most of inspiron are micro-star-inc, and optilex = foxxcon, and xps are either asus or msi or foxxcon,...remeber alot of them are custom only for dell
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I run mATX, have used MSI, ECS, and ASRock.

Used an ASRock ConRoe 945-DVI until I killed it via my own stupidity, dropped back to my old MSI board for the time being.

As for them not being used widespread, one most only have 2 RAM slots, can't do SLI, nor over clock very well.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I know all of Dell's stuff is custome but I would assume that the quality controls they have in place to keep Dell happy would not vanish in their other lines of products. It may not be the best way to find a good product but as far as I know If the car is made by Honda or a division of Honda it will most likely still have Honda quality .
Merlin
schembo2000
Legit User
Legit User

Post by schembo2000 »

i believe they are custom made by intel.
Pesto
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Pesto »

allenpan wrote:depend on what model, most of inspiron are micro-star-inc, and optilex = foxxcon, and xps are either asus or msi or foxxcon,...remeber alot of them are custom only for dell

allenpan is right, it depends on the model and the mfg's listed make the motherboards or other devices with specific firmware and bios for Dell so you need Dell drivers. Even the power button on the cases are a molded plug so you can't just upgrade to another vendors motherboard without changing the case, so its model specific.
- Pesto
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Merlin wrote:I know all of Dell's stuff is custome but I would assume that the quality controls they have in place to keep Dell happy would not vanish in their other lines of products. It may not be the best way to find a good product but as far as I know If the car is made by Honda or a division of Honda it will most likely still have Honda quality .

I know its all custome and can't be modified....I wanted to know IF anyone knew who made their Micro ATX motherboards so I could buy one from that company IF Dell asks A company to make them then the company, Gigabyte , Intel, MSI, or even foxcon must make a good board as far as dependability is conscerned or dell would not buy it. Dell cannot afford to have all the customer support problems from a bad MOBO.
Merlin