Nividia's Imminent Demise?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
justjoel73
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Nividia's Imminent Demise?

Post by justjoel73 »

Looks like it is not going to be smooth sailing for Nvidia in the not to distant future if this story is true.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/disp ... r_Bus.html

It maybe that Intel is trying to squeeze them out or position themselves to buy out Nvidia.

However it turns, we should know the future of Nvidia before the years out.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Nividia's Imminent Demise?

Post by smack323 »

I think there is way to much money at stake to have this technology fall to the wayside over a simple licence.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel and NVIDIA are in a big fight right now... The 680i not supportting quad-cores was just the start... 780i not supporting 1600MHz FSB cpu's was round two... round three on the 790i is still in the works. Seems the latest stepping that Intel came out on their 45nm 1600MHz FSB processors (QX9770) doesn't play nice with 790i... Three generations of chipsets have all worked with the early engineering sample processors then Intel releases a new stepping and breaks something on the NVIDIA chipset logic... With the next round of new CPU architecture it only makes sense that Intel play tough with NVIDIA and force them to do what they want. Intel will not pay NVIDIA an SLI license fee for every chipset they sell and with the added pressure from AMD and Intel it might be tough for NVIDIA to find a niche again. AMD chipsets will be the best choice for AMD CPU's and Intel will be the best for Intel CPU's. With Intel getting into the GPU market and ATI already competitive form a price/OEM perspective, NVIDIA will also feel some pressure... NVIDIA had a couple years of competition free sales, but with the slowing US economy and pressure from other companies it will be tough. Remember Phenom might have flopped in a sense, but AMD still has Fusion in the works and they have integrated a full GPU into the 780G. For the first time integrated graphics isn't 'halfed', which is interesting.

just my 2 cents
justjoel73
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by justjoel73 »

I heard somewhere there is a possiblity of IBM buying out AMD since their stock is in the shitter. That would truly create a monster.
Wildfire788
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Wildfire788 »

Last time I checked, Nvidia is out there to make video cards, not motherboards. As far as I can tell, they'll end up selling more video cards if they forget about their motherboards and just allow SLI on the superior Intel chipsets.

I'm sure Nvidia will be fine no matter what though.
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

Wildfire788 wrote:Last time I checked, Nvidia is out there to make video cards, not motherboards.
Non-integrated video cards are a really small market though, the vast majority of PCs have all their audio/video needs integrated into the motherboard.
justjoel73
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by justjoel73 »

The biggest discrete gpu maker is Nvidia. If you want to run SLI, you need Nvidia's chipset. Nvidia's got their niche market and don't want to give it up. Intel wants to keep their bases covered now that their previous close relationship to ATI is non-existent. The only way they are going to get a SLI license is to twist Nvidia's arm until they say daddy.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Wildfire788 wrote:Last time I checked, Nvidia is out there to make video cards, not motherboards. As far as I can tell, they'll end up selling more video cards if they forget about their motherboards and just allow SLI on the superior Intel chipsets.

I'm sure Nvidia will be fine no matter what though.
Remember Intel is going to start making discrete graphics... so 'fine no matter what' isn't so true.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Just my 2 cents also, Nvidia has always done what I felt to be a superb job on their nforce chipsets. I've dealt almost exclusively with them on all my builds until the core 2 quads came out. NF2, NF4 and 650i sli were all great boards. I'd say at the least they have a good niche in the motherboard market still. They may have some problems with intel, but you have to remember VIA is almost completetly out of the competition now so, one leaves and another enters. This time though it is a bigger competitor.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

Zelig wrote:
Wildfire788 wrote:Last time I checked, Nvidia is out there to make video cards, not motherboards.
Non-integrated video cards are a really small market though, the vast majority of PCs have all their audio/video needs integrated into the motherboard.
im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. i belive that more pcs have descrete graphics nowadays
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I would say that all home-built rigs have dedicated graphics cards, but half of all branded PC's have integrated graphics, and over half of all laptops have integrated graphics.

So all in all, its pretty even.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Yep. Those building their own PCs opt for discrete graphics, but majority of off-the-shelf budget PCs and laptops still have integrated. I reckon 100% of gamers have discrete graphics cards, but the rest of the population would probably forgo the additional expense. :roll:
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

martini161 wrote:im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. i belive that more pcs have descrete graphics nowadays
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/disp ... earch.html
For example, of 97.85 million graphics adapters shipped in the third quarter of 2007 only 25.74 million were discrete graphics cards (among 72 million desktop graphics adapters).
Actually, that's more than I expected.

And FWIW, laptop sales are expected to pass desktops overall in 2008.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

well when i say discrete graphics, i mean a chip that is seperate from the north bridge, which is what most many laptops have. every desktop i have had has had a discrete graphics adapter. as for laptops surpassing desktops, i hate that. i absolutly hate it. why? because people are so stupid. the only people that really need laptops are buisness people who either work at home and work and that travel alot. if you arent one, then why dont you get a real computer that you can upgrade? not to mention that a laptops price performance ratio are absolute crap compated to desktops. people dont seem to realize that desktops are muuuch better for the average consumer.
skier

Post by skier »

well, Laptops are now required for many courses and schools(College) and otherwise, are still good to have(in college) and that is a large sector of computer sales
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

martini161 wrote:as for laptops surpassing desktops, i hate that. i absolutly hate it. why? because people are so stupid. the only people that really need laptops are buisness people who either work at home and work and that travel alot. if you arent one, then why dont you get a real computer that you can upgrade? not to mention that a laptops price performance ratio are absolute crap compated to desktops. people dont seem to realize that desktops are muuuch better for the average consumer.
Because the same people who buy laptops aren't likely to upgrade, either. They're more comfortable just buying a new computer. Besides, few of them would use the laptop beyond Word, internet surfing and email. You're also forgetting the space constraint factor. Also, if you've done some price shopping for bottom of the barrel PCs, you'll notice that sometimes, laptops are even cheaper than desktops since they already include built-in displays. Sure, they're not as powerful, but for basic needs, they're more than fast enough.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

justjoel73 wrote:I heard somewhere there is a possiblity of IBM buying out AMD since their stock is in the shitter. That would truly create a monster.
that was disclosed shortly after, apparently it was just a couple of kids that made it up in their blogs.
skierkid450 wrote:well, Laptops are now required for many courses and schools(College) and otherwise, are still good to have(in college) and that is a large sector of computer sales
right, and UMPCs, and slimline laptops are becoming more practical and popular now, too. while with jobs in engineering, you'll usually see tablets.
hnzw_rui wrote:Also, if you've done some price shopping for bottom of the barrel PCs, you'll notice that sometimes, laptops are even cheaper than desktops since they already include built-in displays. Sure, they're not as powerful, but for basic needs, they're more than fast enough.
hooray for asus eee! although i do think martini161 has a point, from what i've seen, if you compare two computers (one desktop, one laptop), with very similar components, you'll find that the desktop is cheaper, granted it's because the laptops are soo much smaller, but i guess portability is worth a lot, just look at the macbook air.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

actually the mac book air has had a lot of problems. and i think that somthing that thin is just complete and total overkill