Basic info about twin tuner HDTV capture cards

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Basic info about twin tuner HDTV capture cards

Post by Davo26 »

Do I need 2 signal feeds with these cards?
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Basic info about twin tuner HDTV capture cards

Post by hnzw_rui »

No, you don't. But unless you can get it for cheaper or just a tiny bit more expensive than a single tuner card, why buy a twin if you're only using one connection? As it stands, dual HDTV tuners cost the same as two single tuner cards so if you don't need the functionality right away, you could save money now and just buy another tuner card when the need arises.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Davo26 »

I want to record 2 shows at once....I already have a single HDTV card, but I wasn't sure whether you need another input.
Does PQ degrade when you record 2 at once...?
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Davo26 wrote:I want to record 2 shows at once....I already have a single HDTV card, but I wasn't sure whether you need another input.
Picture Quality depends on the spec of your machine. From what I've seen/read, you need 1Ghz and 1GB of ram for each signal you are recording. Thus, if you use 2 cards (or a dual card) you will need at least 2.0Ghz and 2GB of ram. Of course, I'm only going from what I've read. I haven't built the box yet, but I'm planning to build an HTPC/MythTV (or equivalent) box in the next few months, so I've started to do a little research on it. I'm certain someone will correct me if my information is inaccurate.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Davo26 »

DaIceMan wrote:
Davo26 wrote:I want to record 2 shows at once....I already have a single HDTV card, but I wasn't sure whether you need another input.
Picture Quality depends on the spec of your machine. From what I've seen/read, you need 1Ghz and 1GB of ram for each signal you are recording. Thus, if you use 2 cards (or a dual card) you will need at least 2.0Ghz and 2GB of ram. Of course, I'm only going from what I've read. I haven't built the box yet, but I'm planning to build an HTPC/MythTV (or equivalent) box in the next few months, so I've started to do a little research on it. I'm certain someone will correct me if my information is inaccurate.
Fair enough, but how does the card utilize one input, it must split the signal, so i'm wondering if one recording will suffer :shock:
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Fair enough, but how does the card utilize one input, it must split the signal, so i'm wondering if one recording will suffer :shock:
If you want two shows at the same time, then you need two separate signal feeds, one for each. So that means a separate antenna for OTA or an RF splitter if you're recording unencrypted QAM (cable). Sorry for that misunderstanding. Digital broadcast is all or nothing. You don't get noise like you do in analog channels, but if your signal's not good enough, then you get freeze frames or no picture at all. For OTA, I don't think it would matter. For unencrypted QAM where each split suffers a signal loss, it might, depending on how strong your signal is.
DaIceMan wrote:Picture Quality depends on the spec of your machine. From what I've seen/read, you need 1Ghz and 1GB of ram for each signal you are recording. Thus, if you use 2 cards (or a dual card) you will need at least 2.0Ghz and 2GB of ram. Of course, I'm only going from what I've read. I haven't built the box yet, but I'm planning to build an HTPC/MythTV (or equivalent) box in the next few months, so I've started to do a little research on it. I'm certain someone will correct me if my information is inaccurate.
I think the system requirements you're quoting are for real-time encoding of analog feeds (for analog tuner cards w/o hardware encoding). If you're just recording HDTV and not watching it, and you're using a decent program to do so, then you don't really need that much processing power. HDTV feeds are already in compressed form (currently MPEG2 in the US) so all that's needed is to save the stream to the hard drive. If you're watching, though, then you would need a beefy system. If your graphics card can't do hardware assisted decoding, I don't think 1GHz is enough.

I've only got one tuner currently, the oldish ATI HDTV Wonder, and using the silent record feature in WatchHDTV, CPU usage on a Sempron 3200+ w/1GB DDR 400 SDRAM was just 8%. Forget about watching 1080i on that PC, though.

Looking into getting an HD Homerun (or two). I've run out of empty PCI slots. It supports ATSC & unencrypted QAM, and reportedly works out of the box with MythTV. Too bad it doesn't have analog. Hopefully, wifi throughput at home is decent enough so I can use it with my laptop, too.
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Davo26 »

Thanks for clearing that up hnzw :supz:
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

I stand corrected. Just read on another site that you can divide the signal coming from an antenna using an RF splitter like you would for cable. Same as with cable, signal deteriorates with every split.

Guess I never really thought of it as an option since all our TVs had their own antenna prior to switching to cable.

unRAID Server
Davo26
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Davo26 »

hnzw_rui wrote:I stand corrected. Just read on another site that you can divide the signal coming from an antenna using an RF splitter like you would for cable. Same as with cable, signal deteriorates with every split.

Guess I never really thought of it as an option since all our TVs had their own antenna prior to switching to cable.
I wonder if the twin tuner card would bundle this item....I might join a dedicated HDTV forum or whatever and see what I can come up with.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Bundle what? The splitter? I seriously doubt it. They're relatively cheap, though. If you've got a good enough signal, then even the $1 splitters from your local Walmart might work. If not, then get something better. My signal's already bad so if I get another ATSC tuner, it's gonna get its own antenna (renting so can't mount a good antenna on roof).

unRAID Server