simple vid card question

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Paq
Legit User
Legit User

simple vid card question

Post by Paq »

Hi, i am in the process of building a work/play/home computer. so far, it's looking like:

Abit IC7 mobo
PIV 2.8C ghz with ht
512 3200 ram
80GB WD hd with 8MB cache
dvd/cdrw combined drive

so, i'm stuck with the vid card question. Newegg is having a sale on the 9800 pro, but its still $200, which is pretty much out of my price range. I'm looking for something in the $100 area that is DX9.0 and opengl 2.0 at least, there are a few, but i'm stuck between ATI and Nvidia and other options, if there are.

Can anyone help me decide, and if there is any more info i need to provide, please let me know.

This machine will primarily be Photoshop with gaming, fun secondary. I am going to upgrade ram later on when i have more money as it's an easily swappable commodity. Highest resolutions needed will probably not be much larger than 1280x1024 at 32bit color. Dual monitor support isnt' necessary, but may be welcomed in the future, so the capacity would not be shunned.

Thank you so much for the help so far
Chris
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Look at the 9600SE's at the very least. Since you mentioned gaming, the 9600SE is about the absolute least you would really want to go with. Especially with today's newest games. And even then you will have to cut way down on the eye-candy.

If you can sqeeze $150 from your budget, look at the 9600XT's. They are definately worth it over the 9600SE's.

And you should definately be able to fine a 9600XT with dual monitor support... but it is hit and miss with the 9600SE's -- some do some don't.

Good luck!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Quality
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Quality »

I'm running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and can say that it is well worth $200. I spent $300 on it foolishly at Christmas and wished I had done it much sooner.

I love my 9800.

:lol:
bigapl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by bigapl »

A good 9700non pro or 9800non pro will run about 165 or so I would save a bit more and be happy!
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

if you can hold on a few weeks or a month the newest releases from both camps should drive the existing prices down, you should be able to easily get a 9600 pro (or similar) or similar close to your price, with will do all you are asking.
Genuine
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Genuine »

Although ATI and NVidia have only just brought out there new vidcards, I would suggest you wait a few weeks. These new cards will bring the prices of the now lower end cards down normally, so save some money and still have a nice card!
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

ATI cards wont ship in bulk till the end of the month apparentley.

You cant go wrong with a 9800SE though, they are dirt cheap and EASILY softmodded to a 9800 Pro, so saving you $100. Bargain of the century! :D
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Best Buy is now excepting preorders of the new ATI X800XT cards so expect the prices on todays top models i.e. 9800pro and xt to go down some time within the next month and a half.
Sintax
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sintax »

Yeah, I would go with some form of the 9600 hundred if you look around you should get a decent price, and I would go with the 9600 before the 9700.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'm with T-shirt........wait a few more weeks if you can for the prices to drop a bit when the X800 cards ship. Then the 9600 pro's should be low enough..........you might even beable to find a great deal on a 9600XT.......shop smart my friend.......... :D
AL
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AL »

A great deal on 9600XT? In a couple of weeks you will be able to get a great deal on 9800 Pros. I got a 9800XT a few weeks ago for $500 AUD, in a couple of weeks, you could pick one up for $400 AUD.