Dell Dimension 2400

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
chotachatri12
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Dell Dimension 2400

Post by chotachatri12 »

hi a while ago ma cuz gave me this kinda old Dell Dimension 2400, and i tried to hook up all the wires and go to boot it and nothin...i mean i hear the comp running but no display, and i have tried the comp on like 5 different screens but same problem occurs....guys i could really use some help, let me know wut u guys think :-k :-k :-k ...thanks in advance
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Dell Dimension 2400

Post by bubba »

I have a pile of 2400's at work.

Well couple of things first, check all the connections in the case and make sure everything is seated good. If he had a video card in it, some 2400's don't have an AGP slot and if you used a PCI slot card the onboard vid has to be completely disabled for some reason. So yank the CMOS battery or reset the CMOS jumper.

To get the manuals for your machine find the quick service number on the case. It will be a black sticker with white numbers your looking for a 7 digit number. Take that number and go to Dell's site enter the tag number you will get all the drivers and manuals for your box.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Dell Dimension 2400

Post by ibleet »

What do you mean when you say you hear the comp running? You hear the fans spin? You hear a system beep? Can you actually see the fan spin up for a brief moment?

Yep, good advice. Reset the CMOS, and reseat all the components, and thoroughly clean the computer with a vacuum, or air canister as you are reseating. Make sure not to miss reseating all connections to the PSU. for older computers, dust can be the culprit for many issues.

And by reseat, I mean actually pull the video card and other components (Ram, etc.) out, dust the slots, and reinsert them.