What the ?!?!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

What the ?!?!

Post by Merlin »

So I read a post from Methious where he mentioned getting some speed improvements when installing SP3. I ran off without full info and downlaoded the SP.
I backed up my PC using the windows backup utility to a seperate partition. Everythin seemed to be fine UNTIL it tried to restart. Endless loop trying to load OS. No posting problems at all but none of the options under F8 ,safe mode etc., would work. I booted from my OS disk and selected the "repair" option. I got it all back seemingly just fine except now I have reverted back to pre SP1 and 2 ( my disk is old and should not validate but it does) and some of my device drivers don't work. I kept getting this error...."spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close". I also was getting another error when I tried to loggon to the internet but I can't remember what it was .

I thought the backup utility backed up more than personal stuff like drivers etc. so I restored to the backup which took over an hour. Same problem and there were two unknown devices in my device manager one of which refered to BIOS. I opted to turn it off and live to fight another day. This morning I tried to turn it on and it powers up like normal but I get no post screen no beeps nothing. I tried turning it off and back on twice but still no post. This afternoon I plan on opening it up checking all connection clearing CMOS and see what happens. Anyone have any ideas??
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What the ?!?!

Post by DMB2000uk »

Apart from clearing the CMOS, no idea what could be causing it to not post.

If the cmos does work, but windows is still screwed, you might have to completely re-install it.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What are the two devices?
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

no idea what the devices are. I have a wireless keyboard /mouse that work fine, a camera dock, my monitor has 2 additional USB ports on it so its plugged into one USB and a USB headset. The printer is not hooked up to my pc but rather set up as a network printer direct to the modem thru ethernet. All the listed devices seem to be working fine so I do not know what the unknown devices are. It may not be notable but during this whole thing at one point I could not even access the control panel. I am about to try the CMOS thing and see if it will boot. If it will then I gess I have to try to find a way to load SP2 off a disk or something.
Merlin
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
pavilion cooler
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by pavilion cooler »

i got sp3 on my pc and it works great
i have only put in a graphics card and more memory ,did u build yours or buy it there tens to be more problems building one
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Trying to RMA the MOBO and CPU for replacement. Never could get it to post.

Mostly I am very confused. I did not touch the PC after I turned it off Tues. night. Wednesday morning it won't post?
I tried all the " normal" mess ups...Unhooked and re- hooked all devices to MOBO and to PSU. Reseated CPU and RAM ( twice for the ram in different sockets) removed Vid card and tried the onboard Video in both DVI and D-sub. The darn thing seemed to boot up just fine except no picture and no HDD activity. I am now running my old DFI 939 board with a X2 3600 CPU and the 8800GT card so I kow it was not the PSU. I also know it was not the monitor since I am using it now. I cannot see or smell anything that would lead me to think something " fried" nor were there any burps or beeps when I went to boot up.

OH WELL i DID JUST SAVE LOADS OF MONEY ON MY CAR INSURANCE BY SWITCHING TO GIECO!! and it was all a gift anyway so I am only paying in aggrivation.
Merlin
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Don't yet know what tis means but a friend from work told me a friend of his has a 5000 Black edition CPU as well and his friend also had problems with SP3.
Merlin
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

So considering this thread...Windows update now tells me that SP3 needs to be installed....dare I do it?? Any ideas what may have happened the first time? Need advise please.
Merlin
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Only thing I've seen with SP3 is that previous to installing SP3 you need to have all the drivers installed. Eventually we ran into several cases of drivers not wanting to install under SP3.

When SP3 installs it coordinates a bunch of hot fixes under it's banner and they no longer appear in the add and remove portion of the control panel. The drivers looking for the hot fix can't find it any more and refuses to install.

Most notably it was sound drivers, both Bio-Hazard and I tested it with identical results. If you have a driver problem you can install SP2 on top of SP3 and install the driver and then reload SP3 and in the testing I've done that's worked so far. In the case of the Yoggie Gatekeeper security device I had to reinstall SP2 and then apply a hot fix. When SP3 went back in the hot fix is in SP3 but the drivers still worked.

The vendors I have contacted are talking 3-6 months for a driver fix to avoid the issue.

So far the devices I've seen it on are Yoggie Pico Gatekeeper and on board sound. The sound issue happened on a Asus and a MSI board so it's likely an onboard chip issue as many boards use the same manufacturers chip.

It's unhandy but it's the best work around I've seen.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Microsoft has told all AMD users not to update to SP3, for this very reason, cycle of never ending reboots
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/what_w ... ade_fiasco I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall xp pro sp2. Not going to take a chance for a long time.