Scanner software

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Scanner software

Post by Tim Burton » Sun May 04, 2008 11:03 pm

I just borrowed my brother's scanner.

Now, I need to know what to do to scan the books.

Any idea what software to use?

Here is the previous thread.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/post1030 ... ok#p103053

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Scanner software

Post by Alathald » Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 am

Could give Tesseract a try, I've played around with it a bit and it seems to work well when it's fed single column text but it's command line only and doesn't do more than one column of text at a time. You could also try out OCRopus, I've never tryed it but it does sound interesting, it's "a free document analysis and OCR system [...] with a very modular design through the use of plugins. These plugins allow OCRopus to swap out components easily." and one of those plugins is Tesseract. Either way, they're both opensource and completely free (as in freedom and beer) so might give those a try.

Tesseract - [homepage] [wikipedia]
OCRopus - [homepage] [wikipedia]

Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton » Mon May 05, 2008 10:03 am

Right now, I'm just looking for something that can scan an image, not convert text. I'd like to show you what I would like to do.

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald » Mon May 05, 2008 10:29 am

Oh, misread that then, maybe try something like xsane and see if that works...I know photoshop has built in scanning software but not everyone has that...it appears openOffice also has builtin software but IDK how to use it.

XSane - [home]

Also, some more apps but I think a lot of these may be Linux only - http://www.sane-project.org/sane-frontends.html

JuneBug
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JuneBug » Mon May 05, 2008 12:32 pm

wtb loading the default drivers for the scanner and letting windows do the rest its nothing fancy and full of possible bugs but if it works all would have to do is download the drivers and then hit the scan button on the scanner?

Or did i completely miss something

zepper
Legit User
Legit User

Post by zepper » Mon May 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Once the scanner's Twain driver is in place, you can scan images directly into a program like IrfanView (free, and excellent, download - I get mine from majorgeeks.com). It has the ability to acquire Twain devices and grab images directly from them. IrfanView can then save it in any of many different formats and/or edit with incredibly easy to use tools then save in whatever format.

You'll find the scanner menu entries at the bottom of the IrfanView File menu.

.bh.
Last edited by zepper on Mon May 05, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine.

/dev/null
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by /dev/null » Mon May 05, 2008 6:00 pm

zepper wrote:Once the scanner's Twain driver is in place, you can scan images directly into a program like IrfanView (free, and excellent, download - I get mine from majorgeeks.com). It has the ability to acquire Twain devices and grab images directly from them. IrfanView can then save it in any of many different formats and/or edit with incredibly simple tools then save in whatever format.

You'll find the scanner menu entries at the bottom of the IrfanView File menu.

.bh.
I second the vote for irfanview. Many excellent plug-ins for this program make scanning alot more convenient than any software bundled with scanners these days. Great integration into your os if you want to as well!

The official website is: http://www.irfanview.com/

:partyman:

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald » Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 pm

D'oh! These guys are on top of it! use IrfanView to scan for sure, best bet is to save to png with the pngout plugin.

Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton » Thu May 08, 2008 12:19 am

Ok, thanks for the tip.

Which one should I pick?