Unable to get Netgear WG311 V2 to Connect to Buffalo Router

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
FormatC
Legit User
Legit User

Unable to get Netgear WG311 V2 to Connect to Buffalo Router

Post by FormatC »

I am using WPA-PSK AES on the Buffalo Router (Model WHR-HP-G54) with the stock firmware Version 1.40 (The newest as Buffalo Stopped selling and supporting these great routers for some reason) The PCI Wireless card is a Netgear WG311 V2 With the newest drivers that Netgear offers on the web and the OS is XP SP2 Here Is A Netgear Site Explaining the Wireless security the WG311 V2 supports (I don't understand that page fully though) I don't broadcast my SSID but for a test I disabled all encryption and I set it to broadcast the SSID And it still did not connect I can however connect to my neighbors unsecured WIFI Network just fine is it my router? or the card?

Thanks
Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open up windows.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to get Netgear WG311 V2 to Connect to Buffalo Router

Post by DMB2000uk »

Do you accidentally have MAC address filtering turned on?

Can you connect to the router with other wireless devices?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FormatC
Legit User
Legit User

Post by FormatC »

Yes I can get my laptop computer to connect to the router (It has a Linksys WPC54G CardBus Card, Since it does not Built in WI-FI. and no Mac Address filtering is not turned on
Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open up windows.
Jakey The Avatar
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jakey The Avatar »

Check your add/remove programs for Hotfix Q815485. It's a fix that MS added ... some time ago to add WPA capability to windows, however it wreaks havoc with certain wireless cards that had WPA built into their software config. The above link to the Netgear site has instuctions for how to work around the problem. Perhaps that will help?
You move north.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.