I run on a UPS. Do you?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Do you run a UPS for your rig?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 29

Mumm
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

I run on a UPS. Do you?

Post by Mumm »

Just wondering. How many of you guys actually use a good UPS. And Im not talking the cheap sub $50 things or the fancy power strips. I read somewhere once that users should spend about 10% of their computer budget on a UPS. I'd say that pretty close up untill you hit the 3k+ mark.

I'll tell ya a little story ...

About a year ago we bought this new building to move our office and store supplies. Well there really wasn't a good place to set up an office area so we had some work contracted to add some outlets and so on. After the work was completed I started bringing in the desks and setting up all the computers, printers, and other networking items. 2 days later Im sitting at my desk working on the network set up when I hear this loud BANG !!! All the lights flashed and went out. I was running on a UPS so I shut everything down and unplugged it from the wall.

I called the electrician in and told him what happened. He looked around and found the source of the problem. One of the wires he had in box arced over and shorted out. He fixed it and we fired the breaker back up.

Well... the computers I had running on UPS all survived without a scratch. But everything on a power strip was fried. All of our printers and such were dead. One UPS did get fried too but thats it. I built all of our office machines and Im so happy I talked the boss into buying some good UPSs.

I wouldn't trust my rig that Ive put so much time into to run on anything less then a good UPS. Here is what I use:

CyberPower CP1285
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produc ... VRLCD.html
Intel Q6600
8 gb OCZ SLI-Ready Edition DDR2 800
XFX 780i SLI
eVGA 9800 GTX+ in SLI
Western Digital RaptorX 150 gb
Vista Ultimate x64
Matrox TripleHead2Go with (3) Dell E207WFP 20" LCDs (5040x1050)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: I run on a UPS. Do you?

Post by martini161 »

my computer is on its own line on the breaker box, its a real mans 30 amp line, not one of those sissy 20 or 15 amp ones. and my circuit breaker is hooked up to a 3kw genorator, so i dont really need one :finga:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I do. I bought two at costco. They really help when the power goes out. One for computer and one for tv and sound. I just wish I could get rid of my subwoofer 60hz hum. I have it unplugged most of the time. When it's on, it rocks! Paradigm servo 15v2.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I wasn't running one the last time this topic came up, but have changed my ways. I'm using a Belkin 1500VA with AVR. Where I live the power drops everytime it storms, or we have dips in power.

I'm still looking for something to plug my TV and stuff into. Might go with another one of these or maybe an APC.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

vbironchef wrote:I do. I bought two at costco. They really help when the power goes out. One for computer and one for tv and sound. I just wish I could get rid of my subwoofer 60hz hum. I have it unplugged most of the time. When it's on, it rocks! Paradigm servo 15v2.
wow, does it hum at 60hz all the time or just when its on the genorator? i could see how that could get really anoying :shock:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I do not use one. But thats how you learn lessons right?

What if you just chained a bunch of surge protectors?
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Whenever I plug it into any power outlet I get the hum. It goes in cycles, low than it increases then it goes low again. Natasha will not let me keep it plugged in because it bothers her. I wish I could fix the problem. I have it plugged into a Yamama rx-z9 receiver. The receiver cost me a few bucks.
doghucat
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by doghucat »

Yes all systems 4 total use APC UPS one is a 700BB. a 750BB, a 750G, and a BE800blk have used then for years and usually replace battery every 2-3 years if not sooner. Power around this area is always going up and down and was having a problem with over voltage for quite a long time until they finally came and put a recorder head on my meter to record the voltage fluctuations.
Sandman/Intel C2D E8400 @3.00GHZ/ P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo / Xigmatik-1283 / 2-HD5670 Video-Crossfire / 4 Gig Kingston Ram / Antec P-180B Case
Notebook HP dv9720US 17" Wide Screen
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I have an APC BN1250 on my main system, but nothing on the others. I either need to get a new battery or replace this one soon too :( darn thing was blinking red at me so I just turned it of and back on, now it doesnt glow red any more :mrgreen:

Mike

I wont build a computer for anyone without including the price for a nice UPS - I usually snag them at Sams Club for around $150. Surge protectors are a joke and should be banned from even being called that! Some of the higher end ones are good, but the low cost junk that most people have will not stop hardly anything, plus they do not stop the power fluctuations in your line either.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

At home no, have a really nice belkin surge protector on it though.

Now at work yes I have several...
-4x small APC UPS/surge for test machines and formatting drives.
-a APC 750XL+secondary battery for phone system console.
-a 7kva Ferr UPS for my phone system, hub/switches, NAS box.
-a 2kva Powerware unit for my iSeries.

I would like to switch out the 7kva unit to a more modern/efficient APC unit, maybe they will let me do it this fall. Now at home I would like to get one of the APC 750XL, but that is ~$800'ish that I need to spend else where.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

yes, at work 5 APC SmartUPS 1500's

at home 2 rackmount APC 1400's and a APC smartUPS 1000

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

For years I've used APC UPS on all my expensive equipment.

Surge bars are okay for surges but they don't cover brown outs and they won't shut the computer down normally if the power goes out. Plus they come with protection insurance.

In all the time I've used them nothing has ever gotten hit or damaged by surges or brown outs.
Mumm
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Mumm »

I'm glad to see some do make use of a UPS. When I worked in the repair shop I saw lots of things that probably could have been avoided if they only used a good UPS. Those cheap eMachine and Acers come to mind...
Intel Q6600
8 gb OCZ SLI-Ready Edition DDR2 800
XFX 780i SLI
eVGA 9800 GTX+ in SLI
Western Digital RaptorX 150 gb
Vista Ultimate x64
Matrox TripleHead2Go with (3) Dell E207WFP 20" LCDs (5040x1050)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I have a 1000VA for my main computers, 900VA for my monitors, 550VA for my networking equipment, 550VA for my servers(which arent in use at the time) I try to keep the load >50% on each of em.

Gotta love em!

When they finally croak, i will see if i can replace the batteries with car batteries, should be a fun experiment.
duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by duplo83 »

I suspect the answer to my question is 'Yes,' but does one have to run a UPS with equal-to or more wattage than the equipment you're running? If I have a 700W internal power supply and my monitor uses 120W, does my UPS have to be at least 820W to run them? :-k
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

duplo83 wrote:I suspect the answer to my question is 'Yes,' but does one have to run a UPS with equal-to or more wattage than the equipment you're running? If I have a 700W internal power supply and my monitor uses 120W, does my UPS have to be at least 820W to run them? :-k
No, the power your PSU can deliver doesn't have any effect on your UPS, the only thing that matters is the 120W you actually use!

Keep in mind that a PSU doesn't draw any power (well, just a few watts when idle), it's the components that are attached to it that do. The rating (700W) is only the maximum power the PSU can handle. A 2000W PSU doesn't draw more power than a 200W PSU!
Digerati
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Digerati »

I use a surge protector for my computer. I really should go out and buy some UPS's. I guess I'll wait for the next hot deal that comes my way.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

I use an ULTRA 1000VA I bought a few years ago.
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

I have an old UPS I bought some years ago. At the time, it was top of the line and it has held up to the ravages of time so far. However, it holds just enough power now to shut off my computer before it just goes out. I have a 1kw power supply.
JohnnyVic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JohnnyVic »

I wonder why no one has ever designed a UPS and PSU that work together. The UPS could output DC to the PSU, maybe even to the LCD monitor, and save a lot of energy wasted converting DC to AC and back to DC. Plus it would simplify the design of the PSU and LCD power supply circuity.