UpGrade

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Azmaril
Legit User
Legit User

UpGrade

Post by Azmaril »

Because of the all trustworthy issue of not having enough money to buy anything i would like to, I am upgrading my computer in two parts, starting with the CPU, motherboard and RAM. Gaming's my aim and i aim for gaming so any input on a killer combination of these would be appreciated.

I max out at about $500 - $600 Australian so don't tease me with something that i just can't afford.

At the mo, i have to live with a 7600gt PCIe video card which does an ok job but the ****ty AMD 3500+ and $100 motherboard that is not worth mentioning have to go now!!

Any HelP?
Mumm
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: UpGrade

Post by Mumm »

Before I just start listing parts it would help to know what you are currently working with. I assume you are using WinXp 32 bit but maybe not? For gaming I find the most seeable upgrade come from RAM till you have about 2 gb and the video card. Things that would help to know are your PSU and RAM (type and amount).

But before you replace most of those make sure you have a good PSU providing enough power to handle any upgrade you want. You maybe limited in what you can get due to a small PSU. Running too small of a power supply will result in poor perfomace and stability. That said I would suggest you start with the PSU if you are running less then 500 watts. I know its not a quick fix but to do it right thats the 1st place to start IMO. You can also carry over a good PSU to later builds more so then most anyother part. So buy a bigger one then you need if you want. No need to go crazy but its a good idea to give yourself room down the road.
Intel Q6600
8 gb OCZ SLI-Ready Edition DDR2 800
XFX 780i SLI
eVGA 9800 GTX+ in SLI
Western Digital RaptorX 150 gb
Vista Ultimate x64
Matrox TripleHead2Go with (3) Dell E207WFP 20" LCDs (5040x1050)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yes, its important to know the names and model numbers of everything in the computer
Azmaril
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Azmaril »

Don't laugh:

AMD 3500+ 939
Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra
512mb PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram x 2
XFX 7600GT 256mb Pcie
Atx 550w PS
Gameros
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gameros »

Azmaril wrote:Don't laugh:

AMD 3500+ 939
Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra
512mb PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram x 2
XFX 7600GT 256mb Pcie
Atx 550w PS
There is no laughing at that from me, its better than my system.
Athlon 2900 + 9600PRO + Chaintech MB + 1GB PC3200 = I need a new computer
Azmaril
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Azmaril »

Ouch............

Does any one have any ideas?

Also does any one know if they are scrapping vista and going back to the drawing board? Only asking because I used a friends computer today, and I must say that I absolutely hate that ****ing OP.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yes, windows 7 should be out within the next year or so. seems like you may have to upgrade your psu as well. can we get some numbers on it? there should be a sticker on the side that lists the amps on all the rails, which is important as it will determine if your psu can handle newer hardware
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

Not sure what prices are in Australia, but here in Canada you can get:
- Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L - $90.25
- OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 - $31.99 after rebate
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box - $199.99
- BFG GeForce 8800GT OC 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card - $149.99 after rebate
Azmaril
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Azmaril »

Thanks will check them out, in the mean time tell me what you think of this setup. I have no idea about motherboards and only limited knowledge about everthing else.

Antec TruePower Trio 550W ATX Power Supply $122.00
Cooler Master Elite 330 Black/Silver Tower Case (No PSU) $62.70
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400/ 3.00GHz/ 6MB Cache/ 1333FSB/ LGA775 $221.10
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 motherboard $214.50
XFX 9600GT xXx Edition 512MB, DDR3, 256bit, PCIE, Dual DVI, HDTV, HDCP, HDMI (PV-T94P-YHD4) $235.40
Seagate Barracuda 320Gb 7200RPM 16Mb SATA 2 $81.70 X 2
Team Elite DDR2 4GB PC-6400/800 (2x2GB) Ram $156.20

Here is where i normally get parts (http://www.centrecom.com.au) if you can put something together that is better for the same price or less from there i would like to hear about it!!

Oh and i will get back to you about my current PSU
Azmaril
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Azmaril »

Some one help me choose a Friggin motherboard cause i have no idea about them. If any one can help choose a motherboard to work well with the following components for around $200 from here (http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/def ... Path=36_62) I would greatly appreciate it.

Cooler Master Elite 330 Black/Silver Tower Case (No PSU) $62.70
Antec TruePower Trio 650W ATX Power Supply $141.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400/ 3.00GHz/ 6MB Cache/ 1333FSB/ LGA775 $221.10
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Standard Edition 512MB, DDR3, 256bit, PCIE, Dual DVI, HDCP, HDTV, TV Out (PV-T88P-YHF4) $258.50
Team Elite DDR2 4GB PC-6400/800 (2x2GB) Ram $156.20

Help!!!!!!!!!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I think you've pretty much picked out the best motherboard on that list for the money.

The only other alternative would be:
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/pro ... s_id=27907
Which has the added benefit of integrated wifi, but slightly less performance than the gigabyte board.

Out of the two I think I'd personally go with the gigabyte.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Azmaril
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Azmaril »

thanks for the help anyway.
tomcat2200
Legit User
Legit User

Post by tomcat2200 »

You might want to save the money on the power supply. It makes no sense to buy a 550 Watt PS to replace a 550 Watt PS you already have. Use the money on something useful.

I would also suggest if you haven't already jumped that you consider an nVidia 750 motherboard. If you plan to use an nVidia graphics board, then you may want the nVidia main board as well. At least you can then SLI someday when your tax check comes back. Another feature of the 750 is that it is ready for the 45nm processors that Intel is pumping out. At least it will be a bit more future proof.

The Q6600 is truely a dream workhorse. You may want to keep an eye out on the Q9XXX chips as well. There are some distinct benefits for the new 45nm technology, as well as support for SSE4, if you have a need for it. Even the 6MB cache, core Q9XXX processors did out perform the Q6600 with its 8MB cache by 5-10% , all things being equal. Not all of the Q9XXX series is in the stratusphere with prices. :)

I would also suggest you check out EVGA website to look over some of their nVidia products, then hop over to newegg and see if they have any combo deals that might shave a few extra bucks off.
Last edited by tomcat2200 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I'd have to disagree, If he's going from a generic no name rubbish 550w PSU to a respectable 550w PSU, then it is definately worth it.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

DMB2000uk wrote:I'd have to disagree, If he's going from a generic no name rubbish 550w PSU to a respectable 550w PSU, then it is definately worth it.

Dan
i second that
tomcat2200
Legit User
Legit User

Post by tomcat2200 »

It is fully functional at the moment and shows no signs of insufficiency. Just because he hasn't published the mfg of the powersupply means nothing. Respectability and $2, will still not buy you coffee at the Ontario Airport.

I follow the old axiom. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Your opinions and assumptions are based on nothing in this case. For all anyone knows this power supply could well have been manufactured by the very best power supply manufacturing firm in the world.

Quite frankly, Antec does not manufacture power supplies. Some no-name does and Antec slapps their name on it as do several other companies.

You gentlemen are obviously marketing victims. We mourn for you.

Funny thing is, it is equally likely his current power supply is made by the very same people that make power supplies for Antec.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

tomcat2200 wrote:You gentlemen are obviously marketing victims. We mourn for you.
You can believe that until your PSU goes and takes half your system with it. Your PSU is THE most important thing in your computer. You might get lucky with a cheap no name PSU but that's not a gamble I was willing to take with as much as I spent on the rest of my computer. Of course that choice is left to you, the consumer, but most of the folks on this forum will tell you to get a decent PSU at the very least.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

I will have to agree with Dan on both of the above posts. I've had an Enermax PSU and a noname generic PSU both go in different PCs and basically had to replace almost everything in the boxes. Not saying that that can't happen with any PSU but what risk do you want to accept? (or can you repurchase everything from scratch again)

My Gigabyte has been a pleasure to own and I agree that, from that list, your first pick is probably the correct one. That said I believe the current USD to AUD rate is almost equal (200.00 USD = 208.66 AUD). If you can shop around some more you could possibly find one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128089. If you ever do wish to Xfire two AMD GPUs you'll be ready.

The 750 seems OK but I like Intel chipsets for Intel chips (call me old school :) ). I've had 3 Nforce mobos and had issues all three times. With THAT said if you want to SLI Nvidia cards you need to go Nvidia chipset (at least for the moment).
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
tomcat2200
Legit User
Legit User

Post by tomcat2200 »

It is ultimately your decision on the PSU. I have seen more new units gut out than old ones die. It is your comfort level. I have set up systems with a 650i MB, 4Gig of RAM and a quad core Q6600 processor and an 8800 Vid card, all on a 550 PSU, and twin 250Gig HD's. Its a close fit.

If you want a new PSU, I recommend something a bit more stout than a 550 Watt unit, as long as your making the change.

I personally prefer single rail units. This multi-rail stuff is just for cheaper construction. You don't have to balance anything with a single rail, and your always sure to have all of the power available everywhere, with a single rail. Single rail units also have generally better quality parts.

You might see if you can find a special on a 750 Watt unit, or a combo deal at newegg to help keep costs down.

My thought was to hold off the PSU till you got to a point to upgrade more, and apply the cash to a vid card.

Its all good and up to you m8.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

tomcat2200 wrote:It is fully functional at the moment and shows no signs of insufficiency. Just because he hasn't published the mfg of the powersupply means nothing. Respectability and $2, will still not buy you coffee at the Ontario Airport.

I follow the old axiom. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Your opinions and assumptions are based on nothing in this case. For all anyone knows this power supply could well have been manufactured by the very best power supply manufacturing firm in the world.

Quite frankly, Antec does not manufacture power supplies. Some no-name does and Antec slapps their name on it as do several other companies.

You gentlemen are obviously marketing victims. We mourn for you.

Funny thing is, it is equally likely his current power supply is made by the very same people that make power supplies for Antec.
It's common practice for people to always think of a PSU last during a system build. I don't know why really, as it's the thing that can cause the most damage to the most equipment if something goes wrong.

If we are the marketing victims, how come you are the one judging the reliablity of a PSU based off on its wattage rating?
The amps on the rails are what is important. Generic PSU makers can (and often do) cheat the wattage ratings by having lots of amps on the 3.3v & 5v rails with just mediocre amps on the 12v rails. The watts from the 3.3v and 5v rails still count towards the final wattage rating, but the high 3.3v and 5v watts are useless in modern PCs as most of the load is on the 12v rails.

The PSU may not be 'broken' now with it's current components and work load, but moving up to a much more powerful machine is going to stress it even more. If the PSU is sub par, this puts it's chance of failing even higher, and with it the risk of damage to other components. Assumptions based on nothing again; but if the PSU is as old as the system it is currently in, then capacitor aging puts another possible point of failure in the works.

Seasonic make the Antec Truepower Trio series. Seasonic aren't exactly no-name.

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that if the PSU was a named brand, then Azmaril would have told us. Because it was written as an ATX 550w PSU it looks to me like it's been read off the side of the PSU, and generally only generic PSU makers put 'ATX' in big enough letters to stand out like that.

So that's why I think it's better to have a 550w reputable PSU over a generic 550w. I wouldn't want to take the risk on it taking other things with it.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)