using two router for two diff network security?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

using two router for two diff network security?

Post by SAMSAMHA »

hi, I am wondering is there anyway to setup two routers so that I can use two different network security setting. I got two routers but some of my devices cannot use the higher security setting so I am hoping to find a way to setup two settings so that I can use 1 router for low security whenever I need it and other for other devices taht can use higher security.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: using two router for two diff network security?

Post by martini161 »

if you want to do this you will have to setup static network IP adreses, here is a guide:
http://eurobattle.net/showthread.php?t=56138
and on the computers you want to be on the high security set the default gateway to the ip of the securer router, and set the computers that cannot use the higher security set the default gateway to the router that uses the less secure security
tomcat2200
Legit User
Legit User

Post by tomcat2200 »

Much of what you need depends on the type of network and lan/wan setup. You do not necessarilly need to jump into a static internal network to do what you are infering. The problems come in if you are using the routers on a home cable internet setup. Your ISP usually only allows one router per network connection, and per subscription.

There are some interesting binary connect possibilities, if your system has two separate ethernet connections too.

If your on a business LAN/WAN setup it is alltogether different than a home setup.

You need to provide specifics as to your environment, ISP, network and other systems specifics.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

well, if this is wired your talking about than no, you wont have to do static ip's. it is also important to know if this is wired or wireless.
@samsamha: ISPs cant limit the number of routers you use on your home network
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

the unit is setup in a home setting. I am using DSL which uses DHCP for the internet (SBC). I am not sure whehter or not hte static ip is the way to go as it automatic get hte ip for the internet.

I just got a few devices here that do not support the security setting and am thinkgin if there's anyway that I can simply use two diff router for diff security setting so I can use all the devices.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

so is this wired or wireless? thats really the most important part
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

SAMSAMHA wrote:the unit is setup in a home setting. I am using DSL which uses DHCP for the internet (SBC). I am not sure whehter or not hte static ip is the way to go as it automatic get hte ip for the internet.

I just got a few devices here that do not support the security setting and am thinkgin if there's anyway that I can simply use two diff router for diff security setting so I can use all the devices.
The router gets it's IP via DHCP for the WAN side (modem to router, your "public" IP) on the LAN side (home network) the router provides the IP (usually the routers DHCP, but static is possible) via NAT
There are several ways to set it up, depending on wireless or not and which device support what, as well as which devices need to be protected or allowed internet access.
More info on what you have, and how you plan to use it would help.
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

thaqnks for all the replies. I play around with th erouter settings and was able to get it to work.