Antec boned me on my rebate....

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Antec boned me on my rebate....

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I assumed that Antec would be a little more legitimate in their rebate offers. Guess I was wrong.

I bought the Antec Solo mid-tower case from Newegg and paid ~$90 because there was a $50 rebate. Figured that would take a nice bite out of the cost of my graphics card. Should have just saved my money and bought a Rosewill case.

At the same time, I submitted my rebate form for OCZ for a $25 rebate on my PSU. I've gotten no fewer than 6 emails from OCZ informing me of the status of my rebate. Got one the other day saying that it would be mailed today, June 25.

I emailed Antec to inquire what was up with my rebate with them. Got the response, "Aww Gee, we can't seem to find your information anywhere" Basically---- "Are you sure you mailed it?"

Fortunately I have copies of everything but what a PITA to have to re-send it all to them and chances are they'll just take a dump on it and I won't get my rebate anyway. :finga:

I'm so pissed right now!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

%#@%&!?$%
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Antec boned me on my rebate....

Post by vicaphit »

Personally, I think rebates should be illegal if companies just refuse to honor them.

Sometimes I won't even submit rebates, or I will just avoid buying items with rebates on them in favor of something that may be a bit more expensive than the discount after rebates on the other item.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bmaverick »

I don't buy anything that is mail in rebate. Got burned really bad by Motorola five years ago for a rebate or $90 for GMRS/FRS radios.
My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

I don't necessarily avoid items with rebates, but I never factor the value of the rebate into the price. If there happens to be a rebate, I'll fill it out and send it in, and if it happens to work, I think of it as free bonus money.

Probably the only situation in my life where I get free bonus money. ;)
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Up until recently, I've subscribed to that same philosophy. That's why I would never buy anything from Tiger Direct--all their prices were "after rebate." We send in a lot of rebates here at the shop and we're continually getting checks back so I thought "WTF" and ordered my parts based on the rebates. At least I'm batting .500 on rebated % or .333 on rebate $$ since I'm getting $25 of $75 total. It was definitely my mistake and I know I shouldn't have violated my own rule. But I did and I just wanted to bitch for a minute. (mostly at myself).

I did however, find my copies, so I'll make copies of my copies, mail them and see what happens.

Jack
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Jury's still out on Antec but got my OCZ rebate today! Woo-hoo! that's $25 towards my 4850! :supz:
~Bob Dylan
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

Just curious, but how long ago did you send off that Antec rebate? Did ya use a return address sticker?
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I sent it ~May 14, the day after I received the case. I didn't think to use a return address sticker or label since a lot of the rebate checks I've seen are printer "self-mailers." Did I miss something in the "triple r?" (Ridiculous Rebate Rules) :mrgreen:

Jack
~Bob Dylan
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I'm like others here, rebates are 'bonus' money. They're so damn unreliable it's pathetic. I hate rebates so much, I find myself offended by companies that offer them. Because it makes me think, 'Geez, here's another bunch of scam artists that I never want to do business with." To get my last rebate from a memory company, I had a fellow review writer who was working with their PR department do an inquiry for me. When it finally arrived months later, the rebate was worth twice as much as the memory was at that point. Want my business? Offer an instant rebate.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

moon111 wrote:Want my business? Offer an instant rebate.
Excellent plan!!!!!! :drinkers:

Jack
~Bob Dylan
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

I also got screwed over a $80 rebate. My 1950pro was regular $150 and was SUPPOSED to be $70, but I was screwed................ :(

They sent me a letter and said I had an "Invalid UPC" I sent the original UPC and didn't make a copy.... ](*,)
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I was so thankful I thought to make copies but at this point I don't know that it will do me any good. I can just hope. Although the $50 is a big deal to me because I'm on such a tight budget, in principle I agree with everyone's statements about not factoring in a rebate as a purchasing decision. As I stated earlier in the thread the reason I never made a purchase from Tiger Direct is because their great prices were always "after rebate."

But I'm also a bit of a fanatic on truth in advertising and especially on the subject of customer service. I've been in small business management since I was 17 and have dealt with mis-statements and over-promise marketing my whole life. It just pisses me off when a company doesn't do what it says it will do.

Every business I ever ran made a butt-load of money because I always under-promised and over-delivered and went out of my way, no matter how far, to make sure a customer received exactly what they were promised.

Even on those rare occasions where I lost money. I'd rather lose $20 bucks and gain $1000 over time than save $20 and lose a good customer who would have, in turn, told every one of their friends how badly they were treated at my business. In my restaurant career, with that philosophy, I took 8 failing units that were near being closed and turned them into money makers.

It chaps my ass that apathy and outright arrogance has become so commonplace in the area of customer service. I can't tell you how many times I fired employees on the spot for the type of behavior I see every day.

My motto was "The customer isn't always right, but we have to act like they are."

I'll get off my soapbox now. :oops:

Have a great 4th! :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman:
Jack
~Bob Dylan
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

At least you didn't have the IRS lose a return. I did. Only thing that may save me is that they recorded me coming in the day before I told them I sent it (weeks in advance of the 4/15 due date) to have them check it. They have that on record, so the IRS lady said there was a *fair* (cough cough) chance they were waive the penalties.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Tim Burton wrote:At least you didn't have the IRS lose a retur
That is very true. Things could definitely be worse. Thanks to our respective ex's, my wife and I have quite enough grief with the IRS :evil:

Jack
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Just an update.

Got an email Friday after sending in my copies of the submission paperwork. "It's under review and you should hear something in approximately 12 weeks."

I think they're trying to wear me down.

Jack
~Bob Dylan
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Just keep at them, we're all rooting for you!

"ewe con dew et!" :mrgreen:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Alathald wrote:"ewe con dew et!" :mrgreen:
"ewe con dew it ALL NIGHT LONNNGGG!!!"

These revolting heathens shall not get the best of me!!!

Jack
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Yet another update. I just received this email...
The Antec, Inc. Rebate Center recently received your submission for the following promotion:

Department: 107475 - NSK6580 $40 MIR @ Newegg.com (
Submission ID: 106426733

To access the status of your submission during processing, you may contact us at:

Online: http://www.rebatestatus.com/link.aspx?P ... 3-82144648
Customer Service: 877-776-1280

We appreciate your business. Thank you.

Please do not reply to this message. Because this message has been automatically generated, your reply will not receive attention.
Notice how they slipped $40 in for the amount instead of the original rebate of $50? I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.....
Jack
~Bob Dylan
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Fight for your $10 fight for it!

At least you've managed to get somewhere with them now.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Those tricksey tricksey bastards! Nice to see you're finally wearing them down a bit though :axe: