Changing OS harddrives

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Gameros
Legit User
Legit User

Changing OS harddrives

Post by Gameros »

As my signature states, I have an older PC. Currently it has 2 IDE harddrives in it. I am trying to slowly upgrade my computer to lessen the balloon price of upgrading. My first order of business is to replace my harddrives with a new SATA drive. Since the SATA IIs are backward compatible with the original ones, I'll be able to use one till I upgrade the motherboard.

My problem is, how do I transfer my program files (specifially the OS and main programs) to the new harddrive? Can I just reinstall Windows to it (than what would happen with the old Windows installation?). Is there an easy way to transfer data (I doubt copy and paste will work)?
Athlon 2900 + 9600PRO + Chaintech MB + 1GB PC3200 = I need a new computer
ratNukit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Changing OS harddrives

Post by ratNukit »

So you have a SATA capable mainboard at the moment?

Well if thats the case you just have to install the harddrive and install your OS to it and reinstall all the programms while using your old harddrive with the OS on it as a secondary to copy all the files.

Second option: If you install the OS to your now non OS harddrive and boot that, you could copy your primary HDD content to the new SATA and after that select the SATA as boot drive, now there should be all the OS and programm data on it. ( not 100% sure this works since I haven't tried that yet)

I'd recommend a completely new fresh install on the new harddrive.;)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The best way to do it is as ratNukit's first suggestion.

Trying to copy across installed files to a new OS won't play nice (as it will be missing key things like registry keys).

So hook up the SATA drive, install windows and all the programs you want, plug in the second older drive, copy all of your files from the old drive to the new SATA one, then unplug the old one and enjoy your new SATA drive.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Gameros
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gameros »

Thank you guys. I figured thats how I had to do it, but I wanted to make sure.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Another option (but costs a bit) is Acronis TrueImage (the home version is cheap and downloadable at Newegg).

You can boot from the Acronis Rescue CD and image directly drive to drive (ensure the SATA drive can be seen from Windows first) and just remove the old drive and boot from the new. The advantage of this is that you will also have a good disater recovery backup solution as you can also image to DVD and always be able to restore to a "known state" in a half hour or so.

Acronis has saved my butt more times than I can count and if you can spare the change it's a worthy buy.

Do note however that switching or upgrading drives (and other hardware) is easy with Acronis but it probably will NOT work this way when upgrading the motherboard.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There's a few free down loadable disk cloning programs online that work pretty well.

As a matter of fact I just cloned my wifes HD from a IDE to a SATA just like you're wanting to do and the system is working perfectly .............;)

I can't remember the name of it, but Google works real well. I'll try and find a link to the one I used for you though.

Here's the link to the one I used, I down loaded the free trial version, its just slower than the retail version.

http://www.pcdiskclone.com/?gclid=CLP-- ... FQod4XLWtw
PCDiskClone is a Linux LiveCD based boot CD that allows cloning of computer hard drives to backup data or
migrating system to another PC. It copies all data on
physical level with a full support of IDE, SATA, SCSI,
USB, Firewire Interfaces. Besides these compatabilites, PCDiskClone clones at a high speed of more than 7GB
per minute.
Gameros
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gameros »

I will give your PCDickClone sugestion a shot Bio-Hazard. I found a few programs online, but I am leery of using programs online without someone else saying they are good.

So thanks again all.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

:mrgreen: giggle :mrgreen:

I know, so immature...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

DaddyRabbit wrote:Another option (but costs a bit) is Acronis TrueImage (the home version is cheap and downloadable at Newegg).
I can never get Acronis to image from IDE to SATA or vice versa. It only sees the first disk in the config. That would have been my thought too except for the problems I've had.

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan