New future buil- TOPIC CHANGE! Tablet vs Laptop (see pg 2)

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: New future build, comments, OCable quadcore, many questions.

Post by martini161 »

you might want to see if you can flip that psu around so that the part where the cables come out is closest to the mobo tray. it helps alot for cable management
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

martini161 wrote:you might want to see if you can flip that psu around so that the part where the cables come out is closest to the mobo tray. it helps alot for cable management
yeah, I could, but I have another play in the works right now. Just have to get through the Folding War so I can take down the machine and get the list of mods done to it. The weekend after the War completes, I'm doing a massive rework of my machines and i'll keep the nine hundred out of service for remodel. Once it's complete, I'll move on to the other machines one at a time until they are all finished.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

XP Now I'm split between a laptop/tablet and a desktop, because so many of my friends say a laptop is handy for school.

D:
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

InsolenceAndHeresy wrote:XP Now I'm split between a laptop/tablet and a desktop, because so many of my friends say a laptop is handy for school.

D:
And after ALL we've done for you! Sir, you are full of Insolence and Heresy (well the Heresy part will come in when you say you're getting a Macbook Air "because it's just so da@#^d cool") #-o

OK here we go again, lets meet in the middle ground...

One example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220306

And another http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... l=en&s=dhs

I'm outta' my league with laptop chipsets, cpu's, and GPUs but a friend has an XPS and it's big, hot, and hungry (but fast). The Asus M50 and M70 series seems to be getting excellent reviews as well and are pretty popular.

If I were shopping for a "go to class" primary laptop though I'd go with a slower 15.4" screen laptop with good battery life and get a spare battery.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

XD Sorry man, I'm just really really pissed because my family's piss pooooorr and I'm lucky even getting one of these and getting two is akin to a wild sexual fantasy involving Jessica Alba.

I was thinking...
By the time I go to college (I'm a rising junior), there'll probably be multi-touch tablets available standard, so maybe I should just get a gaming desktop right now and go for portable once I go into college?

How useful is a portable at school? The two I've been looking at were the Sony Vaio SR (released early next month), and the Toshiba M700 Tablet. Both can be specced to similar levels around $1900.

(Will the desktop rig I specced out be able to run Crysis @ Very High 1600x1200?)
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Get the desktop now. Delay buying a laptop until you actually get accepted into whatever course you want in college. My cousin was a Business major and they had a specific list of laptops for class. He couldn't just buy any laptop he wanted. By the time you get into college, there'll be better technology and who knows if the laptop you buy now would be powerful enough in case you need to install course-specific applications.

On a sidenote, if you can afford to buy $1700 computers or $1900 laptops, I wouldn't say you're piss poor...
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Well my parents think all I'm gonna do with a desktop is play games - which is pretty much true, that'd be the main purpose of a OCed quadcore and dual graphics processors, no?

At least the laptops have academic focus.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New future buil- TOPIC CHANGE! Tablet vs Laptop (see pg 2)

Post by Alathald »

Check out some ODMs when looking for a laptop, you can usually get a nicer computer for cheaper...I'm tired so the only brands I can think off the top is Clevo, Compal, ASUS and MSI (I know there are tons more). Plus a nice Clevo guide I still happen to have in my bookmarks [link]
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

InsolenceAndHeresy wrote:Well my parents think all I'm gonna do with a desktop is play games - which is pretty much true, that'd be the main purpose of a OCed quadcore and dual graphics processors, no?

At least the laptops have academic focus.
My "old fart" inputs (in order) are:

1) Jessica is definitly HOT! (I feel so dirty now, OK not really :supz: )

2) To quote hnzw_rui, "On a sidenote, if you can afford to buy $1700 computers or $1900 laptops, I wouldn't say you're piss poor..." OK I won't go there, I'm in six figures and still have to beg for an upgrade (the battle is between a GPU that rocks and a basket that has "cute soap" in it) . Dude, you have a way to go (no diss intended ;) )

3) Yes that would be the "main purpose" for the above referenced desktop system, prove to them that you are going to write games, REALLY do homework, or otherwise do something remotely constructive with the sytem. Dad will be an easy sell, Mom on the other hand...
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Well, I can't carry a desktop around. . .

This is sssseeevreeeeely pissing me off because I'd kill to see Crysis running maxed out, yet the sound of a mobile workstation sounds so enticing.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

well if you have the money and you want a compromise...
http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... s&ref=lthp
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

XP That's not exactly discreet carry to school either.

Well the two arguments I've been getting are

Pro-Desktop/Anti-Laptop:
Laptop will be completely obsolete in two years, and I'll near 100% have to get another at the end of high school/before college.
High school's easy without laptop
Computers all over the school
Play awesome latest games

Pro-Laptop/Anti-Desktop:
Can't carry around a desktop
Work anywhere - do whatever you want (type papers, compose, edit a/v,anywhere)
Stylish (Sony SR)
Can still play light games - e.g. original Ghost Recon, Half Life 2 (HD 3470).
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I bought a laptop 2 years before I went to uni and i wish I hadn't. It was a complete behemoth and too heavy to carry around to be practical at uni.

By the time I got to uni I was so fed up of having to use the hot; slow; and outdated laptop that I bought a decent desktop system to give me space to have decent cooling and some power for gaming.

Now laptops have come a long way since i bought mine, and it could be that you will be happy with the general performance from it when it comes time for college (if you don't game on any new games :axe: ), but personally I would recommend to not make the same mistake I did and either get a laptop when you start college or get a desktop that you can upgrade if you need to.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

So chances are if I get a laptop, by college it'll be:
Outdated
Slow
May not fit requirements of major?
duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by duplo83 »

InsolenceAndHeresy wrote:It seems that the Antec Nine Hundred has its drive bays pretty much built in, and the fan bracket inside further lessens space, so D: - P180 for me I suppose?

I had an 8800GT in an Antec 900 and it was pretty dang tight. I wouldn't try to squeeze a 10.5" card it there, it most likely won't fit.
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

duplo83 wrote:
InsolenceAndHeresy wrote:It seems that the Antec Nine Hundred has its drive bays pretty much built in, and the fan bracket inside further lessens space, so D: - P180 for me I suppose?

I had an 8800GT in an Antec 900 and it was pretty dang tight. I wouldn't try to squeeze a 10.5" card it there, it most likely won't fit.
The image I posted was of an 8800GTX in an Antec 900 WITH cage rear fan housing in place.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by duplo83 »

DaIceMan wrote:The image I posted was of an 8800GTX in an Antec 900 WITH cage rear fan housing in place.
Woops. :oops: I suppose I should have read all the posts before spouting off.
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

InsolenceAndHeresy wrote:So chances are if I get a laptop, by college it'll be:
Outdated
Slow
May not fit requirements of major?
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3