New Build Ordered

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

New Build Ordered

Post by KPRROK »

I've finally ordered the parts for my new computer. I've been planning this build for about 8 months but had to delay it for several reasons. My wife finally told me to "order it now or you can't do it for 2 years." We've got a baby coming in October, so she wants to make sure we have plenty of cash for the little one.

So here's what I bought:

MB: Gigabyte EP-45 DS3R
CPU: E8400
RAM: Super Talent 4GB PC2-6400
VGA: MSI HD 4850
HDD: Seagate 500GB (7200.11/32M)
ODD: DVD-Multi (DL)
Case: Thermaltake SopranoRS
PSU: Zalman 600HP
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9500AT

TOTAL: about $920 (I'm not in the States, so not able to get good RAM or power supplies and paid a little more for some parts than in the States)

So the question is...how difficult with this be to put together? Any tips or websites that give some good step-by-step directions? I've never built a system from scratch and the one thing I'm worried about is the motherboard/CPU/Cooler installation. I've swapped and installed hard drives, video cards, and ODDs, but never all of it.

Thanks for any help and advice on the build.

Cheers.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New Build Ordered

Post by vicaphit »

It is a lot easier than it looks. As long as you are careful while ordering everything should fit together nicely. Your motherboard should come with all of the instructions needed for the build as well.

Good luck and post pictures when you're done!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671
step by step

good luck! lots of stuff out there and lots of good advice here if you get stuck or have a specific question.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Yep, building a new system was surprisingly easier than I expected. My first build, one thing I did regret not doing was testing the mobo+cpu+ram[+gpu] outside the case. Apparently, the cooler wasn't seated properly (stupid push-pins), hence, I had to remove the mobo from the case in order to remove and re-seat the HSF. That could have been avoided had I tested it prior to installation. Once you've installed the mobo inside the case, test it again just for good measure before you start adding hard drives, expansion cards, etc.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

the way they make CPU's/MB they are almost fool proof to install correctly. They only fit the right way..
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by KPRROK »

vicaphit wrote:Your motherboard should come with all of the instructions needed for the build as well.
Only problem with this is all of the directions will be in Korean! My Korean is ok, but not good enough to read installation instructions!

Thanks for the tips and that website. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

well considering we get instructions over here that are in god knows how many languages, i think youll be ok. i believe they only use one manual
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

KPRROK wrote:
vicaphit wrote:Your motherboard should come with all of the instructions needed for the build as well.
Only problem with this is all of the directions will be in Korean! My Korean is ok, but not good enough to read installation instructions!

Thanks for the tips and that website. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers.
most hardware vendors have the manuals for their equipment available for download online. I downloaded the manual for my new Gigabyte board before it got here so I could start to familiarize myself with the BIOS.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

English language link for your mobo - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... uctID=2842

And for the CPU Cooler - http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Pro ... sp?idx=161.

The rest is pretty much a no brainer, go slow and doublecheck everything as you go, and you'll be fine (and happy with the rig as well!).

And BTW the wife is a smart lady and congrats on the new family member! I've never regretted it (even though he waxes me in games!).
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by KPRROK »

Many thanks DaddyRabbit. I've browsed both manuals and I'm feeling much more confident about the build. I checked the delivery status and it's on the island I live on, but arrived too late to deliver it today, so I'll be getting it tomorrow. woo hoo!!!!!
KPRROK
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by KPRROK »

The boxes arrived on Friday when I was at work, so I had to wait until the night to get home and start working on building the beast. Imagine my surprise when I opened the motherboard box and it was empty! Yup, all the boxes were empty! I opened the case (felt heavier than it should have) and there it all was! The store I ordered from assembled it for me!

They did a pretty decent job on it, except for a couple of mistakes...the front fan came dislodged during transit and broke the silicone "screws" and the CPU cooler is at an angle.

Speaking of CPU coolers being at an angle, is that bad? I got the Zalman 9500AT which is a side-facing fan, and instead of the fan facing directly towards the back of the case, it's pointed at about 10 degrees up from that. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I have time and that might help. Can I fix it myself easily?

I'm setting everything up now, so I'll be back after it's all working. I'm actually posting this from the machine as I'm getting Firefox ready!

I'm loving it already!

Cheers.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Indeed a nice surprise. I personally would remove the heatsink and reseat it. Heck, as particular as I am, I'd probably pull the mobo and everything out to make sure no there are no surprises.

Definitely post up pictures.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Thats the whole fun of the build! Actually building the damn thing!

You should send it back and say "repack this into the correct boxes and send it back for me to do the work."

I am kidding of course, though if you wanted the experience you could take it all apart and do it again, as DaIceMan instructed.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

I would, at a minimum:

1. Pull out all expansion cards
2. Pull off the cooler
3. Double check all mobo wiring connections and SATA drive cable seating
4. Reseat the RAM
5. Clean and reapply thermal paste (not sure if they included any but check the cooler box for a small tube).
6. Check the cooler for damage and re-install
7. Re-install expansion cards

Also, while everthing is out give the case a "roll & shake" test to ensure no loose screws are floating around (happens more than you might think).

To be honest, the CPU cooler would be my biggest concern. I don't know what they were thinking shipping a system with a big aftermarket cooler installed, and in a tower case where they sit horizontally and the weight stresses the mobo at that. [-X Good thing you didn't order one that needed a backplate (like the original Thermaltake Big Typhoon) as jolting those too hard can destroy a motherboard. Even if it was on right I'd probably pull and re-goop it just to ensure that they actually put the thermal compound on to begin with (also happens more than you might think).

Enjoy the system!
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit