Im getting tired of seeing so many damn ISSUES!!!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Im getting tired of seeing so many damn ISSUES!!!

Post by solstring »

Hi,
There is always soo many hardware and software problems it unbelievable. I dont ever remember owning a computer that never needed fixing due to a virus a driver problem a compatability issue or some form of problem. Why have we been cursed with this ongoing saga of problems???
How much time and effert have we spent trying to put things write?? How many more hours, days, years are we going to have to keep forking out time and money just to get a normal working machiene?? Is computing really that great? Why cant everything just be easy? YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Do any of you feel the same way i do or am I the only one (yeh right)?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Im getting tired of seeing so many damn ISSUES!!!

Post by vbironchef »

Why not post your rig, and what software you are using. Let us help you. What operating system are you using and anti-virus, spyware, firewall. We can help if you give us all the info. you can. Name specific issues you are having.
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

I have many issues, my system runs on vista i will list my problems:
1.during games my keyboard plays up and stops responding, I get killed cause i cant move and miss frags cause my keyboard stops working it is sooooo anoying.
2.Some games dont even work on my computer (COD2, C&Cgenerals) and i have tried patch updates.
3. I sware my pc is not running fast enough It scored 7900 or so on 3dmark vantage and I have a phenom 9950 and ati 4870 all newly installed I saw a guy with the same hardware as me with 13000+ what is going on there?
4. My pc keeps coming up with blue screens and a load of with writing about bowser.something not working properly...
5. Just glitches in the desktop, like task manager dosnt always come up and games dont always open.
6.I have to keep on resetting windows because games and software I install screws up windows and programs stop responding, will the compatibility issues ever stop?
7. I tried to create an account on battleground europe and all i get is try again later and attempt failed.
8. I have lost all my account data for guild wars and for some reason I can only have ony account per cd-key and trying to get my account information out of them is like trying to get blood from a stone.

The list goes on and on, so why cant it just be easy, I mean I have latest vista latest sound and graphics cards and drivers to, so i should not be going through all this.

I wonder if anyone can help me anymore :(
P.S. where is the smily face thats crying his eyes out???
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What version. Example xp pro sp2.

Things to try without anymore info: You may have messed up your os due to windows updates. If that is the case you will need to do a complete wipe and install. Please list your components that you have and programs. You may just have to do a bios update for your motherboard. You may have a bunch of spyware on your computer. We need to see the whole picture. Please make sure you have all the drivers are up to date. How old is your computer and what changes have you made to it?
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

For #2

After installing the game, find the game's folder, and right click on the EXE for the game, go to properties, and then go to the compatibility tab. Choose "run in compatibility mode" and choose windows XP SP2.

That should allow you to play those old games. I am running Battlefield 1942 on my Vista 64bit machine.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

I think it may be the bios, i am gonna install all the updates and see what happens.
Thanks for the game tip, now hopefully i can play C&C generals etc.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

You could always dual boot...I run Ubuntu as my main operating system (as do a few others here) and only boot into Windows for gaming. This means no viruses, very few compatibility issues (at least in Ubuntu) and because I only use Windows for gaming I have quite a few services uninstalled (esp Aero) and I don't run an antivirus which means much faster boot times and an overall faster system. Heck, when I get the time I'm thinking of getting rid of the GUI in Windows but that's neither here nor there (not even sure it can be done with Vista).

Just something to think about, it's a bit more annoying the first few days with getting it set up but once you discover a little program in Ubuntu called Synaptic, you'll most likely never look back...
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

If it's got tires, boobs or a keyboard it's eventually going to give you problems.

I really haven't had any Vista issues for a while, but I still dual boot XP/Vista just to keep down time to a minimum.

Truthfully I'd get my save games and data off and format that thing and reload it. Trying to track and correct that many problems just isn't worth it. With that processor and a 4870 you should be seeing 14000 on 3dmarks. With the browser error and the keyboard errors combined with the blue screens you can just about bet you have a combination of driver/operating system errors.

Download the newest BIOS, drivers for the motherboard, reformat reload and hope. If that doesn't do it your looking at a hardware problem. Until you reload your probably not going to know. If it is software that will tell you.

If it's not software I'd hazard a guess at ram problems. Ram problems can wreak havoc all over the place with no seeming rhyme or reason.
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

I have just installed some new 4gb crucial tracer red ram I would hope this is not the problem, as for re-formatting the hard drive I have tried that so many times. I am thinking it may be my cpu but the clock speed reads of fine at 2.61 and the ram reads all there at 4gb.
I should not be having any hardware issues as my motherboard, ram, cpu, gpu, soundcard have all been updated this month by a pc professional. Ever since I got my newly updated PC back something in my heart was telling me the CPU and computer wasnt working fast enough. I just cant put my finger on the problem.
Do I really have to fork out more cash replacing it and installing it again??
Is there a shore fire way to test the CPU and ram for hardware issues?
Thanks fo the help so far.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Burn memtest86+ to something bootable and run it for a couple of passes. It will loop forever so just hit escape if it has done the passes error free.

Prime95 will help you in testing out the CPU, make sure to enable 'round off error checking' in one of the drop down menu's before starting. Running it for about half an hour should be fine for now.

There is a utilities CD called the Ultimate Boot CD, that has amongst numerous other programs, hard drive testing programs, find the one by your hard drives manufacturer and run it.

ATITool (use the latest beta) has a built in artifact checking program to test your graphics card.

Testing the PSU requires you to get a bit more hands on, as you will need a multimeter and to poke it around in the PSU connectors (24pin and a molex) while the PSU is running, let us know if you are comfortable doing this and I'll explain in further detail what you need to do.

Google for where to download all the programs, if you can't find any, or aren't sure if it is the right version, then post back what you found and someone will say if it is correct or not.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

I have prime95, all of the tests seem to fun for a while, but i have no idea if it is running correctly or if the results are good or not. all i see is a load of numbers. Will it tell me if there is a problem, and if so I have to assume because it hasnt told me of a problem there is none?

I have burnt the memtest86+ iso to cd so i am waiting for a space to do a reboot then hopefully I can get the tests under way.

I am downloading UBCD4 and will burn the iso to disk useing Free Create-Burn ISO, hopefully it is an .iso im downloading.

As for testing the PSU I will give that a miss for now.
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

I ran the ram test and the latency was a bit strange, it red off as 5-5-5-18-40. Is that 40 supposed to be there?

Could a damaged hard drive make for glitches in the system and software not responding etc?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I don't think your hard drive is the problem. What video card are you using? It may be that your video card drivers need to be rolled back or reinstalled. What programs are running in your windows task manager? Your pro may have installed something that may coflict with a program you already have installed. Have you done a full system scan for virus and anti-spyware? Good luck and keep us posted. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

40 and a load of other numbers are there but most people don't know about them, so it's ok.

If the hard drive has something wrong with it, and it's either reading/writing stuff wrong, then yes, it could cause errors and problems with programs and windows. It doesn't hurt to test it and rule it out as being part of the problem.

If you were running prime95 with that option turned on that I mentioned, it will tell you when there is an error, and stop the program. If it is OK it will run indefinitely.

If you are not OK with testing your PSU (and it's ok not to be), can you please give us a full system spec list of what you have in your machine (both part and model) so that we can see that there isn't anything that jumps out as being a problem.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I know this may sound out of left field but, have you checked your temps. Download coretemp. to see if your rig is overheating. Did you build your rig or did you buy it?
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

Ok i'll list all of the hardware thats inside my computer:
1.Motherboard: M3A32-MVP Deluxe
2.Graphics card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI
3.Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 Sound Card (30SB073000002)
4.Ram: Crucial Ballistix Tracer RED 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT25664AR804)
5.Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (ST3250410AS)
6.Power supply: 1000w power supply

My temps are all fine:
CPU 40degC
GPU 38degC
case 27degC

I purchased all of the parts separately and paid a PC proffesional to install them for me.

My drivers are as follows:

1. windows vista basic edition
2.latest ati driver
3.latest creative sound driver
4.latest updates on windows
5.latest updates on PCCILLIN tren micro internet security Pro ( which is damn good by the way I feel so safe)

I would send a screen shot of task manager and my desktop but for some reason the print screen wont let me paste onto paint. Is that the right way to save a print screen?

Thanks.
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

I forgot the CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9950 2.6GHz Processor
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

one more dumb question: Do you have your on board audio disconnected? Or turned off? Sometimes when both are on there are issues. What concerns me is that you can't get into the device manager. That tells me that a windows update or service pack messed up your system due to a improper instalation. Maybe you had your firewall and anti-virus running at the same time you were doing downloads. Just a thought. If that is the case a complete wipe and install would be in order.
Last edited by vbironchef on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

Ok, by onboard sound you mean my digital output device. Do you want it enabled or disabled? My sound blaster and is all enabled and working HDMI are both enabled.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I am talking about the on board audio from your motherboard. Your on board audio should be disabled or disconnected.