Velociraptor vs SSD

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Velociraptor vs SSD

Post by solstring »

The current price of a 150gb velociraptor is £130 and the curretn price of a 128gb SSD is £303 that is a £70 difference. I have the 160gb velociraptor and it is not much different than my 250gb samsung hd, I notice a slight speed increase and boot times seem a little quicker.

Overall I was expecting to supercharge my boot times and install time but I was very much let down buy the latest velociraptor. With this in mind I think I should have put the extra £70 into a SSD as they truly do have some impressive figures.

The seek time on my hard drive is 7.1ms and on the SSD it is 0.3ms and the wread/write times of the SSD are also vastly superior. I know the price difference is quite big, but I think you will notice where youre money went. I am not at all impressed with my velociraptor and am now saving up for a SSD.

What are youre views on the SSD compared to the velociraptors? Dose anyone have any SSD benchamarks using HDTUNE 2.55 they are willing to post.

My results are:
1.Minimum 78.6MB/s
2.Maximum 125MB/s
3.Average 105.3MB/s
4.Access time 7.1ms
5.Burst rate 177.7MB/s
6.CPU usage 2.3%

Sorry I havnt put a screen shot on but I cant paste a print screen onto Paint, dose anyone have a solution to this problem?
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Velociraptor vs SSD

Post by martini161 »

303euros minus 130 euros is 170 euros, not 70. theres an official ssd benchmark thread in the stoarage section
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The only SSD to buy is the Intel one and it's not out yet... when it comes out sell the Velociraptor and get an Intel SSD... It's already been shown to be faster than two Velociraptors in RAID 0!
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

Like you said the SSD rule, just wait for the intel one to come out and say good buy to those slow hard drives of the past.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

From what I have been reading is that there is very little difference between the two drives for boot time. They think that the OS is the cause. Please correct me if I am wrong.
solstring
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by solstring »

Its all to do with the access time of the hard drive, I have read that the OS can be the problem. But there is a great difference between the access time of a SSD to that of normal HD. So no matter what OS is used a SSD will most certanly be quicker maybe not by alot but it will be quicker. Its all to do with the way in which the OS accesses the information from the hard drive, some use the type of read that hard drives like and some dont. Thats all I know unfortunately I am not that well informed on the matter. Maybe someone else can elaborate on why some OS's load slower than others a bit better than I have.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

martini161 wrote:303euros minus 130 euros is 170 euros, not 70.
Could easily be a typo, although he never confirmed it!
solstring wrote:Like you said the SSD rule, just wait for the intel one to come out and say good buy to those slow hard drives of the past.
From the looks of it, SSD may be better, but surely not in capacity. The enthusiast will need 2 or more of these new HDs to fill multiple games, especially the upcoming ones. Hopefully that will change a year from now.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Apoptosis wrote:The only SSD to buy is the Intel one and it's not out yet... when it comes out sell the Velociraptor and get an Intel SSD... It's already been shown to be faster than two Velociraptors in RAID 0!
i'm guessing we'll see a review on this, but what is it going to be called?
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz: