Can Installing New Codecs or Something else Kill DVD Drive?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Can Installing New Codecs or Something else Kill DVD Drive?

Post by dgood »

The Title Didn't Give me enough space to type the full question. Here is the information around what I'm seeing.

I just got a new computer from dell. Vostro 200 Mini Tower.
It comes with a DVD-RW drive.
I just installed the software that came with a samsung digital camera.
After Installing The codecs for the digital video and DX9 (didn't really run it seemed) and Some other Intervideo program. The DVD Drive stopped reading disks all together. Be it CD or DVD.

So I was curious what could have caused the problem so I could go back and fix it?
Also Would a system restore to the point right before I installed that fix it? (The computer has nothing but programs fresh installed so far and that was the last thing I did)
Anyone Seen this issue before?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Can Installing New Codecs or Something else Kill DVD Drive?

Post by vbironchef »

Have you tried to do a Windows update? Go to device manager and see if DVD drive can be fixed from there.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Is it recognized in BIOS? Can you boot something from the drive, say UBCD or Knoppix? If so it's probably software (read: Windows) related, if not I'd contact Dell because it's probably a faulty drive.

With OEM computers I like to completely wipe and reinstall from scratch to get rid of all the bloatware crap they include...might try that if it turns out to be software.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

The problem with a Dell is that they make a O.S. just for that computer. The only way to get rid of all the stuff is to buy a new O.S. I know that is bad news, but the good news is to stop buying a rig and build your own.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Let me clarify. I just reformatted it from vista basic to Windows XP Pro using that drive. I installed all of those programs mentioned using disks in that drive. It was working up until that point. We have a site license for windows XP Pro.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Alathald wrote:Is it recognized in BIOS? Can you boot something from the drive, say UBCD or Knoppix?
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

That may be your problem right there. Like I said before, Dell has their O.S. tied to the motherboard. Not sure what they do but I feel that is the problem.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I've reformatted and put a vanilla OEM XP install on a couple of Dell PCs and never have had an issue...they do tie the key to the motherboard though, meaning you can't install using that key on any other computer. That doesn't stop you being able to put a different OS on it or even using the original key to activate a vanilla copy of XP (not sure if it has to be OEM though).

Just make sure you go to Dell's website and download all the latest drivers for your model number.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

yeah i have used my old Dell restore disks and CD key from the box that fried on a brand new build - the only thing i had to do was have it activated thru MS. I would try going back to the restore point. if it works you know it software. other wise do
Alathald wrote:
Is it recognized in BIOS? Can you boot something from the drive, say UBCD or Knoppix?
to test it.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

yes it's recognized in the bios and yes it can boot.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well it's some sort of software problem then.

Try the windows restore rollback thing.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

so last time I got it to boot and it did so I did the system restore and it didn't work.
then I decided to let it boot completely to see if it was just tricking me. Then I realized it wasn't really booting anymore.
so the drive is dead. Dell is replacing it. Thanks all.