HD formatted, need to retrieve lost data!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Aegis
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

HD formatted, need to retrieve lost data!

Post by Aegis »

I need to find some good software that will retrieve data off a formatted HD. The external drive was plugged in during a re-install of windows and accidentally got formatted. (I could shoot myself for this one) I've found a bunch through google but would like to know if any of you have used anything like this in the past before I just pick one randomly and pay god knows how much.

We have all our family pics and business pics on the damn thing and I REALLY need them back.

Thanks!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HD formatted, need to retrieve lost data!

Post by DMB2000uk »

Was the format quick or full?

Most of the apps that are available on the net will only work if the format was a quick one (i.e. it didn't write the whole drive with 0's).

It's worth trying to scan the drive with a couple of freeware programs before you try buying anything, I've had success with FreeUndelete and Undelete Plus in the past. Make sure that anything that you recover is saved to a separate hard drive to prevent overwriting the files that might be able to be saved.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Aegis
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Aegis »

Thank you Dan.

It was a quick format and I did find a program from the UK that showed me all my files but they wanted $69 for it. Kind of leery or spending $69 with an over seas company who's site looks kind of fishy.

Not that there's anything wrong with the UK mind you....as I notice where you're from. :oops:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.file-recovery.net/order.htm

Active@ File Recovery - best one i have ever used! EASY to use and it has found everything i have ever deleted. I think there is a free trial that you can scan your drive with to see if it finds everything before you buy it.

Mike

I would say the standard or pro would be all you need I think I have the standard (not a new version though)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I did the same thing awhile back.. i was able ot get 90% of my files back with this program.
http://www.grandutils.com/Back2Life/
I tried some of the free ones but they didnt find as many of my old files.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

I use Restorer2000 Pro for data recovery. It works pretty well. I didn't pay for it, though, my friend did, since her PC went fubar after the MBR got deleted/corrupted by some virus. :P
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Aegis
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Aegis »

Just wanted to thank you all for the info. I ended up getting Back2Life and got 100% of my data back!!!!

I have now been upgraded from sleeping with the dog to my spot back on the sofa...and I have all of you to thank!!

THANK YOU!!!!

~Aegis
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Great to hear you got everything back!!!

Mike

Kinda scares you though, especially if you ever formatted a drive and sold it thinking everything was gone ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

KnightRid wrote:Kinda scares you though, especially if you ever formatted a drive and sold it thinking everything was gone ;)
That's why hard drive scrubbers exist.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
prozac26
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by prozac26 »

KnightRid wrote:Kinda scares you though, especially if you ever formatted a drive and sold it thinking everything was gone ;)
Yea, it's scary. I had to retrieve some lost files too, and was glad that was able to, but nothing it really safe.

HDD scrubbers are useful.