lcd monitor

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

lcd monitor

Post by -mogwai »

i'm looking to buy an lcd monitor. i think i want a 17" monitor just to kinda save me some cash so i can afford some watercooling. i just dont really know what i want, to be honest. there are a couple lcd monitors i saw and i read reviews for on newegg, but a lot of times, those people dont know jack-ass-crap what they're talking about. my pricerange = $200-300. if you can find a sweet 19" in that price range, i'd go for it. i'm a little apprehensive about the 19" just because i've never played on a 19" screen before and i dunno if it'd hurt or help my gaming ability. i'm so used to 17"....

anyways, please help.

thanks, guys :)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Just mainly for quality reasons, I'd go with a high speed Samsung 17". They have some pretty good deals on them from time to time at Newegg.

As for water cooling gear, what you looking for, I have a lot of extra stuff sitting around the house I might be willing to sell. Let me know what platform or type of system you're looking for.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Dell Home has the E193fp 19in Analog LCD Monitor for:

$379 - 30% off (exp 5/26/05 5:59am CDT or after 2000 uses -$30 off $300 stackable code (exp 5/23/05 5:59am CDT) = $235.30 with free shipping

No DVI connections and pretty poor image quality though... That's the only "deal" i know on any monitors right now.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I bought a "refurbished" Dell Ultrasharp1704 for $265 a little while back and it is a great monitor. I use it for a second monitor so I don't use it for gaming etc. I read somewhere that the majority of their "refurbished" models are actually returns that had no real problems. However, they can't legally sell them as "new" and need to put them through a quality process, etc. I have no complaints. =D>
Joe
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I bought my LCD (the one that was at the last WarFactory LANs for the LR rigs) over a year and a half ago and i think it plays games just fine. Back then, the rule of thumb was to get a 17" LCD that has a contrast ratio of at least 450:1 and no more than a 16ms response time.

So the higher the contrast ratio, the higher the quality.... and the lower the response time, the better the refresh rate will be.

Like I said, my LCD is 450:1 with a 16ms response time... and plays any game out there now just fine... but I wouldn't recommend going any lower specs than this.

Hope this helps!

PS - and I just ordered this one for my brother... never heard of the brand, so I'm taking a little risk there, but I told him the risks involved and he still wanted the cheapest one... not a bad price!
http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/Vi ... 008&depa=0
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i was thinking about it last night.... i think what i just might end up doing is buying an hd ready tv or something for when i move into my new place. i figure that works well, but i dont have a nice tv for my room.

either way, i'd like to still be able to have enough for watercooling.... bio, i'm gonna pm you in a sec
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Answered back............... :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I splurged and bought the Dell 2005 a couple of months ago....LCD definitely takes some getting used to, but i love it.
I would check out either ViewSonic or Samsung, both put out high quality 17 in LCDs in your price range and 19in LCDs just out of your price range in the 8ms range.
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

I know this isn't what you want to hear but get yourself a 19" LCD . Less eye strain ans pretty affordable now
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Dell, ViewSonic, and Samsung make some great and affordable monitors....they'd be among my first choices.
Last edited by LVCapo on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I suggest the monitor I just bought a few months ago:

SAMSUNG 915N-Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor

Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Display Colours: 16.2 Million
Display Type: SXGA
Horizontal Fresh Rate: 30-81 kHz
Maximum Resolution: 1280x1024
Panel: a-si TFT/TN
Pixel Pitch: 0.294mm
Recommended Resolution: 1280x1024
Viewing Angle: 160°(H) / 160°(V)
Model #: 915N

Pricing: $289.95 w/ FREE Shipping

This monitor is in your $200 to $300 price range and play games just fine. I have run BF2, HL2, and CS:S on it without any issues. I'm not sure about Justin and his 16ms monitor that doesn't ghost, but this one is 8ms and hardly ever ghosts. A 19" monitor will help your gaming, at least it did for me. You can always run over and check mine out if you want. Heck I need my mobo back anyway and I can give you yours back.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

nevermind... i just saw that this is a months old post that was brought up from the dead...
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

lol..but they still answered:)
Zeratul
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Zeratul »

19" monitor is just bigger, it wont hurt your gaming in anyway, it will probably improve your gaming experience.