What Causes A Computer To Run Slow

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

What Causes A Computer To Run Slow

Post by dgood »

I'm talking really slow! A computer that should be quite fast. Its a core 2 duo t7200 or something. With 2gb of ram. It's a laptop. I've reformatted it and yet it still persists to be as slow as molasses.
Opening documents in Office 2007 can take up to 5 min to just open a 1pg word document. When the same file is opened on another computer it opens quickly as you would expect. This computer also loses connectivity with the printer very often. Such as it will sit in the print queue and never print until you restart the computer and it sends it through. It is the biggest mystery to me. I've reinstalled everything, drivers and operating system full reformat and nothing new. The computer just doesn't want to run how it should. So annoying that I wonder if it's a hardware issue that just wont' cause windows to crash. Any ideas? I'd love a response or two.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: What Causes A Computer To Run Slow

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Test your RAM? Run SpinRite on your hard drive as well. (in recovery mode)
A bad hard drive may be the cause of your slow computing, I'd be surprised if it's not the case, actually.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hum... could be memory like mentioned above if you already did a full format and a re-install of windows.
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

Anything overheating at all? Since I assume its a laptop.
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

My bet is on the hard drive, too. My Dad's PC was running really slow although it was clean and CPU (Pentium DC E2160) is more robust compared to other PC's in the house. After cancelling a really slow file transfer operation (~10MB/s), I checked the device manager. Apparently, the OS hard drive was using PIO which is why it was lagging so much. #-o

Yours might be dying, though, so I'd refrain from putting any important data on there without a backup.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I ran into a similar situation a couple years back. It turned out that the hard drive was dying. It took a while to diagnose this seeing as SMART showed no errors and I didn't hear any clicking from the drive.

Download BootVIS and upload the graph.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Ironically to all. The problem was not the laptop per se. As I suspected as I did run a memory test and reformatted it to fix it. The computer was still slow. It was the docking station. For some reason the docking station was causing documents to open slow and the internet to go slow and just was like everything was in molasses. Now I don't know how the docking station slows down the computer when it's bad I just noticed the trend that when off the station (which it almost never was) it was fine. I put it on another station and it worked perfectly. Anyone had a dock go bad? and yet still have it "function"?

I swear I bring you guys the most bizarre problems with computers and I appreciate the help I receive here. And the awesome reviews.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It's never a simple problem when you know about computers, else it wouldn't really be a problem otherwise ;)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

Would it have a different hardware profile while docked? It's been a LONG time since I've dealt with notebooks and docking stations. Maybe one profile is messed or missing a driver or something?
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I don't think so as when on another identical dock it works fine so it's a dock problem not the laptop as I found.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

GI-JOE wrote:Anything overheating at all? Since I assume its a laptop.

Exactly!

When was the last time the vents were sucked out to get the dust bunnies removed?

Most CPU's throttle back in speed if the temps rise.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights