Wireless USB WEP Issue

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Wireless USB WEP Issue

Post by ibleet »

Wireless networks are just not my forte...I think I'm just missing a setting...

The computer is an Emachines EL1200-05w running Win XP home, SP3, with a Linksys USB wireless G adapter (WUSB54GC). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124187

The main computer on the network is also running Win XP home, SP3 with an ActionTec GT704-WG wireless DSL modem/router, using 64bit WEP encryption.

With the encryption turned ON, the adapter will connect to the router, but will not connect to the internet. With the encryption OFF, the computer will connect to both the router and internet. After it connects and I turn the encryption back on, it disconnects. What would cause a USB adapter to not like going through WEP encryption?

I'm going to try changing channels. It's on channel 9 currently. I'm also going to uninstall the software because it's junk, and install the adapter (latest driver) using the found new hardware wizard, and just use the windows XP wireless configuration utility.

Any ideas?
Jakey The Avatar
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Wireless USB WEP Issue

Post by Jakey The Avatar »

First, don't use WEP if you can avoid it. It is NOT secure. Anyone who has read the "How-to" can crack a WEP encryption in about 5 minutes. WEP offers roughly the same security as putting a brown paper bag on your router. The only people that WEP will keep out of your network are cheapskate neighbors trying to freeload your internet.

WPA and WPA 2 are much more secure. You really should use them if you can.

Now, if you're stuck with some old hardware that absolutely cannot be upgraded to support WPA, then you might have to stick it out with WEP. Although, I'd recommend upgrading that old equipment, and switching to WPA.

Now, as for the specific problem you are having, (assuming that the steps you listed didn't work... because if they did, problem solved :))
Are you sure that both devices (router and laptop) are using identical encryption keys?
Can the laptop connect to other computers on your network (assuming you have some) when the WEP is turned on?
You move north.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Likely your wireless card/adapter can not use the encryption you are selecting in the router.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Thanks for the quick reply!

To Jakey:
They are stuck with WEP and only have the neighbors to worry about, so no big deal. (yes, the router is crap)!
The computer with the adapter is an Emachines desktop, not a laptop. I chose USB because it has no PCI slots. (yes, the PC is crap)!
I am positive they both use the same encryption key. I double checked in the router setup.
I will check to see if I can connect to other computers on the network and get back to you.

To Major:
The card is designed to handle 64/128-Bit WEP, and that's why I'm baffled. (but yes, the adapter is crap)!

I just noticed this in the specs: Channel - 11 CH (US, Canada), and the router is set on channel 9. :shock:

Thanks
Jakey The Avatar
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Wireless networks are just not my forte
I could swear that said Wireless laptop...
I think, maybe I need more sleep and less video games.

The 11 CH listed in the specs is nothing to worry about. That simply means it is compatible with all 11 channels used here in the United States. The FCC (or equivalent agency overseas) regulates what channels and frequencies are available for use in consumer products. US gets 11, Japan gets 14 ... and, well I don't know how many the rest of the world get...

So, unless your wireless configuration utility in Windows is reporting a different channel, it should automatically set itself to the same channel as the router.

My guess is you are missing a setting somewhere ... I know, that was your guess too. It's a good guess.
Although, I'd be willing to bet that it is a router setting that needs to be adjusted.
Heck, maybe you just need to enable the encryption on the router, and then power cycle it.
Since the computer connecting to the router only needs to worry about two things (get the encryption key right, and pick the right network to connect to), my money is on a setting in the router.
You move north.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

With encryption on are you able to get an IP address? If so is the computer able to ping the router?
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Maybe this will help...

I also hooked up a mini with built-in wireless and it connected instantly using WEP. So, I'm thinking the problem is more with the adapter or it's software and neither received rave reviews. :mrgreen:

I will check whether or not I get an IP address and if I can ping the router later today.

Thanks.
Jakey The Avatar
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

I was just thinking it would really help if you had another wireless device to determine if it was the router or the computer...

So... I agree, it's likely either the software or the adapter :)
You move north.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Solved!

Thanks for all the help on this! The culprit was the software. It was randomly disconnecting the other USB devices and messing up the network settings. I uninstalled the software, installed just the drivers and used Windows XP utility to configure it...worked great!

Avoid the linksys/cisco USB wireless software, it is horrible.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Glad you got it working. I personally avoid all networking software in general. Windows' built-in function does just fine for me.