Conflicker Scanner

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Conflicker Scanner

Post by Major_A »

I know that this probably isn't the appropriate place to post software. However, I feel that it will get more exposure in this area. McAfee has released an app to scan for this nuisance. Seeing as it is apparently spreading like wildfire it might be a good idea to go ahead and scan your computer(s).

http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_AVERT_ ... d6157.html
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conflicker Scanner

Post by Apoptosis »

came back clean on all 6 of my PC's!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Thanks for the heads up. Came back clean on all 4 of my PC's. I'm surprised that I never heard of it until now. I guess it just hasn't hit my area. My last few virus jobs were all for AV360.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm running the scan myself on my PCs, I don't suspect anything but you never know.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Good luck if you have any sort of large network and you get hit with this thing.

We've been fighting it for the best part of a month now and it's still showing up on memorysticks and the odd computer. If you're patched and up to date, it can't exploit anything, but it can still replicate itself across the network and install itself everywhere.

Your literal only option to get rid of it is to isolate a machine, and scan it, and don't put it back on the network till everything else is clean >_>
(If someone's got some better solution that doesn't requite you to destroy your network to clean it out I'd love to hear it!)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you found Conflicker and McAfee didn't fix the problem another company has released a scanner/remover.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sophos_Confic ... d6158.html
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

My friend said this is an April Fools Joke. What do you think?

Also how do I patch Windows?
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

been running around making sure all the machines here have been updated all the way.

bitched at several people that disabled the auto update and scheduled scans on the virus software, one guy was 3 months behind. Their excuse was that the scans slowed down their net surfing. Spent 10 minutes on each updating and resetting up the scans, and gave them a nice little "time out" from net usage. all they could get was email for 3 hours. when they bitched to their boss and then them at me, I explained why I did it and when they would get it back, I got "they didn't tell me that".

So I've been a real popular guy today.

Oh, I also so love when people say "what are you doing to MY computer" or "Why did you take the weather bug off MY computer".... 1. its not yours, its the companies. 2. remember that sheet of paper you signed when you started about 'unapproved software' and the whole pesky getting fired part, might want to re-read that and not bitch at me for taking something off that should not have been there to begin with. :axe:

yes I'm a little crabby today, dealing with this !@#$ all day I missed lunch and the vending machine is out of Dr. Pepper :evil: :finga:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I can deal with ignorant PC users, but no Dr. Pepper is unacceptable.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If you have copies of the sheets they signed, just give them one and highlight those sections :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I've decided to pull my computers off the internet and sleep through this virus just like the Y2K bug. Hell, I haven't checked email from a pc for the last 3 weeks anyway ( I <3 my Blackberry ), so aside from a few Folding work units, I won't miss much.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, it's been around a while so far and it'll probably be around a while yet, so you shall be sleeping for quite some time :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

That would be a welcome treat. Between stress and my sinuses I haven't slept much in a month.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

So far all is clear here as well. Thanks for posting this. Oh, if you google it LR's news post is the 3rd or so link on the page. Good stuff. Thanks for the initial post Major_A - gave me about a 12 hour jump on the media. I sent most of my contacts the links and info shortly after you posted last night.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Ran Stinger on my laptop at work, no problems. Ran clean at home on my main PC as well, two more machines to go.

Symantec has posted a removal tool, link below:

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/g ... xDwndp.exe
Last edited by Sparky on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

geokilla wrote:My friend said this is an April Fools Joke. What do you think?

Also how do I patch Windows?
I doubt a company like Symantec would issue software specifically for Conflicker if it were a joke.

You patch windows with windows update I suppose.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

its not a joke but the part about how when everyone gets home on april first their computer is going to be busted is...
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Here is a web based quick and easy check...not sure how accurate it is though.
http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/in ... chart.html
Joe
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

FZ1 wrote:Here is a web based quick and easy check...not sure how accurate it is though.
http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/in ... chart.html
That's a slick idea, using images from sites Conflicker is known to block. Nice find!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Are they trying to drop a hint there? cough Linux cough