Torrents replaying audio only

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Torrents replaying audio only

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I'm regretting more and more ever getting involved with Vista. I had everything on my XP install just perfect and in effing around with the other infernal OS have blown away my life. :yikes: :toimonster: I'm back to XP but everything is fubar trying to get all my settings back.

I'm using uTorrent client for my downloads. I've used it before but preferred Azureus (before it lost its mind and became Vuze). In the last few days, I have tried both clients but can only get the audio portion of the file. I thought it was perhaps WMP missing a codec or something but I've tried playing the files back on several different players and same result.

The file size is right (app 900 MB avi) but the video portion of the file simply won't play. Anybody got any ideas at all?

Thanks so much!

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Torrents replaying audio only

Post by ibleet »

I don't use Vista, for obvious reasons (since it's the devil and all :mrgreen: ), but I have had issues with torrents and codecs even with XP. I stopped downloading the various codec packs and went strictly with VLC Media Player and haven't had any problem with either audio or video playback since.

Working great on 5 desktops and 1 laptop without issue. Most of them don't even have any codecs installed as VLC does it all. Free and Open Source.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

It's gotta be a codec issue. Im runnin utorrent near daily with no issue and have been on vista64 for months. I know I have a codec pack that does a few of the major(if nto all) codecs. I don't think I can find it online anymore but I can send it if you want to give it a try. I've used it in XP and use it currently in Vista. up to you if you want to try it
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I second VLC. It's all I use for media on my windows PCs and it's even used as the backend for my prefered music player (songbird). I even have VLC portable on my flash drive to use from anywhere.

Great program that does one thing and does it well, play media files. :drinkers:
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

plus since its packet based you can play partially downloaded stuff :)
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

I second K-Lite...the all in one wonder pack for XP, Vista, etc.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks Dan and everybody. =D> K-Lite did the trick. Now I've just got to convert them from AVI to DVD format . LR Rulz!!!!!!!!:supz: :supz:

Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

It also doubles as a DVD Codec (Software Side) for DVD Roms, so if you ever format XP you can just use that instead of Cyberlink, etc.