My System shuts down after 3 minutes

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Durnock
Legit User
Legit User

My System shuts down after 3 minutes

Post by Durnock »

I am looking for some help! My system is turning off after only a few minutes and I cannot figure out the problem. So far I have made sure all fans are working, reseated all cards, checked the power connections and removed and reseated the cpu and cooler. Both Speedfan and Nvidia's monitor program show my cpu and gpu in normal temperature ranges, so I began looking for a bad part.

I took out both EVGA 8800 GTS cards, tried one, then the other even switching the power connectors as well and still have the PC turning off. Then I used an ATI 3650 card which does not require an additional power connector from my other rig and it too shut down after only 3 minutes. Next I pulled out both sticks of Patriot Extreme DDR2 pc 800 ram, and tried them one stick at a time, in both DIMM slot 0, and DIMM slot 1. The PC would boot but again shut down. The memory in my other PC is DDR2, but slower ram so I did not try to use that as a test. The power supply in my other PC was not swapped out as it did not have PCI-E video power connectors. My motherboard EVGA 680i SLI has an LED display and according to their website it is posting correctly and displays a code that shows everything is running fine.

I would welcome your thoughts as I try to figure out what could be the cause of this problem. Thank you for reading.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66
Motherboard: EVGA 122-ck-nf68-a1 LGA 777 Nvidia nforce 680i SLI ATX
Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 800
Video: 2 EVGA 8800 GTS 320mg cards in SLI
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 700W SLI certified PSU
Audio: onboard audio
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint T Series 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA
Case: Cooler Master 690
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My System shuts down after 3 minutes

Post by DMB2000uk »

Is this like a full shutdown, or an instant power cut out?

Does it happen even when you are doing things in those three minutes?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

As much as it pains me to say this it sounds like tht OCZ PSU is your problem.
Durnock
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Durnock »

Hey Dan,

In answer to your question it is like the power shuts off, as if the house lost power but the tower is the only thing without power, but it does turn back on, if only for another three minutes...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Yeah, PSU does seem at fault. Either its overheating or something has gone bad inside and is causing one of the shut off protection circuits to kick in.

It'd be interesting to see if plugging the OCZ into your other PC produced the same results.

Else I'd get it RMA'd if it's still under warantee.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Durnock
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Durnock »

Thanks for the comments. I will try it in my other rig and see if I get the same response. The good news is it is still under waranty and OCZ has a very good rep for waranty work.

Thanks again!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Often overlooked but sometimes it is the culprit, are you running a UPS? When they go bad you can get this type of activity too.