Laptop Sound is Choppy

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Laptop Sound is Choppy

Post by dgood »

So how do I diagnose the root cause of this? the Laptop sound is choppy both through external and internal speakers. I tried a turtle beach usb sound card and ran speakers through it and the sound is still choppy. What should my next step be to figure out why it sounds like I have mad sound lag spikes.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Laptop Sound is Choppy

Post by stev »

Sound is typically handled through the south-bridge chipset. On my MSI Intel MOBO, the chipset required two things to overcome the choppy sound.

First the latest drivers that worked and second a heat-sink with a little fan on it.

Since your machine is a laptop, try getting the latest drivers. If that choppiness still persists, then check the internal hardware for connections and thermal issues.

Have you searched the web dealing with this issue and your make and model?
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

will do tomorrow when I get a chance to check it out again. Upgraded to Vista Sp2 from Xp sp3 and installed new vista drivers, sound works perfect sp3 screwed up the sound for some reason.
Jsting
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Jsting »

Most likely it is a driver issue. Make sure also to disable the on-board sound card of your laptop if it has.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I've had this problem before on software codec based sound cards. The first thing I'd recommend doing is going to the Sound Option under the Control Panel, Select the audio output in question, go to advanced, and turn the sample rate all the way down and see if that corrects the issue.