USB Hub Recommendations

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

USB Hub Recommendations

Post by Tim Burton »

I'm looking for a powered USB Hub, because I'm out of USB ports.

I looked at newegg, but they all seems to have people state that they have "power issues" or they just plain have mediocre reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with an inexpensive hub that they could recommend?
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: USB Hub Recommendations

Post by Sporg »

I picked up a Dynex hub at Best Buy quite a while back. I had issues with it one time, but other than that it's worked perfectly.

The issue - I'm not really sure what happened, but I had to power it off for a while and unplug from my PC. After that it's been fine and before that it was fine. I think it happened after a system crash, so something probably got mucked up somewhere. Anyway, it's been great and even has a nice blue glow. I want to say that I paid around $20 - which is probably a bit high, but it was one of those purchases where I didn't want to wait around.

Regarding the power, I assume you are looking for one that's powered via USB. I've had the best luck with independently powered hubs. So maybe I didn't help you out after all. :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Sporg wrote:I picked up a Dynex hub at Best Buy quite a while back. I had issues with it one time, but other than that it's worked perfectly.

The issue - I'm not really sure what happened, but I had to power it off for a while and unplug from my PC. After that it's been fine and before that it was fine. I think it happened after a system crash, so something probably got mucked up somewhere. Anyway, it's been great and even has a nice blue glow. I want to say that I paid around $20 - which is probably a bit high, but it was one of those purchases where I didn't want to wait around.

Regarding the power, I assume you are looking for one that's powered via USB. I've had the best luck with independently powered hubs. So maybe I didn't help you out after all. :mrgreen:
I don't care how it is powered. Thanks for the tip though.
ratNukit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ratNukit »

As long as you take an independantly powered hub, you shouldn't have any problems. I got two from hama and one from Sepia and never had a problem with either. :)
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

as to recommend something, I can't do that. I'm in the market myself.
I can advise to STAY AWAY from a self powered ultra. If you think you are fine with it. let me know. I have one for sale. Why not to get the ULTRA? well, you can't hook up a Xbox controller to it, you can't hook up a camera to it, you can't use SDHC and you can't use flash drives. Well, that's all I needed in the entirety and none can be done with the Ultra I have. SUCKS!!!