Ordered the rest for my Core i7 build

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

Ordered the rest for my Core i7 build

Post by KnightRid »

Already had

Core i7-920
Intel DX58SO
Vista Ultimate 64bit

bought - did not buy all from newegg, got some from Dell with the coupon codes Apop posted in the deal section

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130434 - GTX260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139009 - Corsair 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119160 - Cooler Master case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820134854 - Kingston 6GB DDR3 triple channel kit

What do you think? I have hard drives laying around I can use in it, so I didnt get any. I also have a blu-ray drive I will use for the optical drive.

Mike

I hope it will boost my scores in folding too ;) Will remove the old AMD 2400+ from the loop (kids computer) and replace it with one of the dual cores. Should boost the numbers a bit I hope!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ordered the rest for my Core i7 build

Post by DL13 »

Hi, was the ram from Dell's coupon? It's a little slow but than again you do want to get it running. Very nice pick on the case.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DL13 wrote:Hi, was the ram from Dell's coupon? It's a little slow but than again you do want to get it running. Very nice pick on the case.
No. I got the video card and the PSU from dell using the coupons Apop posted in the deals forum.

I posted a question about the ram, but was too impatient to wait for an answer so I deleted the question..lol I asked about the board being able to use faster memory since it states EVERYWHERE in the literature that you have to use memory BELOW 1.6V (basically 1.5V). I read places saying you can change the bios to 1.65V, but I just dont have the extra mone to buy the memory, find out it doesnt work, then have to either return it and get other stuf, or keep it around for when I would ever get another board, so I went with 1.5V :(

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

KnightRid wrote: I posted a question about the ram, but was too impatient to wait for an answer so I deleted the question..lol I asked about the board being able to use faster memory since it states EVERYWHERE in the literature that you have to use memory BELOW 1.6V (basically 1.5V). I read places saying you can change the bios to 1.65V, but I just dont have the extra mone to buy the memory, find out it doesnt work, then have to either return it and get other stuf, or keep it around for when I would ever get another board, so I went with 1.5V :(

Mike
To bad I mist it, but it sounds like Intel boards want you to play it safe, I've read in some places that they are not the best board to go with. On other boards 1.65V is the max especially for OC'ing, that's rely the only time you would set the voltage to the max when you OC, and if you don't OC you can just set the voltage at 1.45V and see if it is stable, if not raise it and go from there or how ever you would do it. The ram will be ok it's the timing I was looking at it's a little slow, later on you can go for something with lower timing that's if you don't like the ram, until than get familiar with the board first
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

I have that very same video card, and with some luck you might get a 626mhz version! (The SC version). Evga has for some reason been selling overclocked versions as vanilla. I was lucky enough to get one :mrgreen:
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

mr_noname111 wrote:I have that very same video card, and with some luck you might get a 626mhz version! (The SC version). Evga has for some reason been selling overclocked versions as vanilla. I was lucky enough to get one :mrgreen:
Cool - I went with the standard one because I figured I can just OC it myself like I did with my 8800gt :)

Mike

IF the damn thing gets shipped anytime soon - I might have to cancel it and order from someplace else. I do not want to wait until September ;)
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

have you called dell about it?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

XstollieX wrote:have you called dell about it?
yep, they are supposed to be calling me tomorrow to let me know any new information. We shall see! I wish they would just send me the damn OC one for the same cost and be done with it..

Mike
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

KnightRid wrote:
yep, they are supposed to be calling me tomorrow to let me know any new information. We shall see! I wish they would just send me the damn OC one for the same cost and be done with it..

Mike
Damn I should have tried to get them to do that for me. Oh well, good luck.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Got the video card yesterday!! Now if my neck would stop acting up so I can bend around a bit, I will get it built!!

Mike
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Damn maybe I should have kept mine on order. Oh well. I decided to order a xfx black edition. I will get that today. I little bit more money but at least I knew when it was coming. I was to impatient with dell.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well it is sitting here all built when I realised - I forgot a hard drive (DAMMIT) lol - I will have to steal one from another system I guess to get this thing going.

I also forgot they changed the spacing of the cooler mounting holes on the MB so none of my higher end coolers will fit - HAHAHAHA

*sigh* maybe I should just sell the parts and be done with it...argh...wife wont let me spend too much more on this thing, since all the other computers are still working fine.

Mike