will you call me a poser if i dont OC?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

will you call me a poser if i dont OC when i have high-end stuff?

yes
8%
no
92%

Total votes: 36

helf
Legit User
Legit User

Re: will you call me a poser if i dont OC?

Post by helf »

'eh. you are definitely not a poser. Overclocking when you have no reason to is kinda pointless. I choose to do it on my old clunker machines simply because they are all horribly slow (p3 cpus) and I NEED all the power I can get. Overclocking shortens your components life span, makes them produce more heat, use more power... its not always what it has cracked up to be.
eunoia
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by eunoia »

It's definitely not free extra performance considering lifespan, cooling mods, power consumption. That being said, though it's not free, it can be cost-effective (and fun) if you want that extra and you're doing it right.
No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)
gibbersome
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by gibbersome »

helf wrote:'eh. you are definitely not a poser. Overclocking when you have no reason to is kinda pointless. I choose to do it on my old clunker machines simply because they are all horribly slow (p3 cpus) and I NEED all the power I can get. Overclocking shortens your components life span, makes them produce more heat, use more power... its not always what it has cracked up to be.
Plus, he has 3 GTC285's!!! No need to overclock with that monster of a system.

If things start slowing down, add another 285. :D
gsimpson63
Legit User
Legit User

Post by gsimpson63 »

Got my hands on a X6800 unlocked engineering sample and have Speedstep enabled in the bios, haven't lifted the hood on her yet. :lol:
WeAreAcidic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WeAreAcidic »

Personally, I'd rather just have a powerful rig than worry about pushing it to the limit. I've been so far behind in the hardware race that I'd be blown away by those specs.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

gibbersome wrote: Plus, he has 3 GTC285's!!! No need to overclock with that monster of a system

If things start slowing down, add another 285. :D
I'd overclock the hell out of my rig if I had 3 285's. eliminate that cpu bottleneck as much as possible then
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Definitely not posing. Posing would be "Look at my new rig I built from scratch!" and linking to the Dell XPS summary page where you upped the RAM and ordered a printer [-X

Enthusiasts come in many flavors. I have a mate at work that is numbers driven, if we were to both build a system today he would spend $350 less than me on a lesser system and then spend $300 and many hours getting that system to perform the same as mine. Is that wrong, not really because he loves seeing those 3dMark scores climb or getting Prime95 to run for 36 hours overclocked to the gills with no errors, it's what trips his trigger :) Now when I ask him what he DOES with his rig and he says "surf the web and run 3DMark" I get a bit of a chuckle and goad him a bit however...

I am the "bleeding edge" type. I do a major upgrade or build a new rig every year or so, I budget and save for it then do it whether I need it or not (haven't NEEDED to for years). I mean lets face it, most of my PC time is doing Office apps, email, and surfing, when I do have time to game it is usually my old favorites (Tiger Woods 2003 and Freelancer with some GuildWars, COD and other newer games thrown in). I could game on most of these at max res with a virus scan running in the background and hardly notice, so explain to me why I need this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102856, the answer is, in short, I DON'T but because its new I want one dangit!

The one person who enjoys my weakness is my 13 year old as he get's my hand me downs. Its pretty sad when I work with a bunch of engineers and IT geeks and he has a better system than any of them :-k . He is less concerned come Xmas time with what's under the tree than what upgrades Dad is gonna' do this year, man I need a life ;)
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

DaddyRabbit wrote:Definitely not posing. Posing would be "Look at my new rig I built from scratch!" and linking to the Dell XPS summary page where you upped the RAM and ordered a printer [-X

Enthusiasts come in many flavors. I have a mate at work that is numbers driven, if we were to both build a system today he would spend $350 less than me on a lesser system and then spend $300 and many hours getting that system to perform the same as mine. Is that wrong, not really because he loves seeing those 3dMark scores climb or getting Prime95 to run for 36 hours overclocked to the gills with no errors, it's what trips his trigger :) Now when I ask him what he DOES with his rig and he says "surf the web and run 3DMark" I get a bit of a chuckle and goad him a bit however...

I am the "bleeding edge" type. I do a major upgrade or build a new rig every year or so, I budget and save for it then do it whether I need it or not (haven't NEEDED to for years). I mean lets face it, most of my PC time is doing Office apps, email, and surfing, when I do have time to game it is usually my old favorites (Tiger Woods 2003 and Freelancer with some GuildWars, COD and other newer games thrown in). I could game on most of these at max res with a virus scan running in the background and hardly notice, so explain to me why I need this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102856, the answer is, in short, I DON'T but because its new I want one dangit!

The one person who enjoys my weakness is my 13 year old as he get's my hand me downs. Its pretty sad when I work with a bunch of engineers and IT geeks and he has a better system than any of them :-k . He is less concerned come Xmas time with what's under the tree than what upgrades Dad is gonna' do this year, man I need a life ;)
:) If your kid gets pretty nice "hand me downs", what will he get for Xmas? :shock:
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

lordvic wrote: :) If your kid gets pretty nice "hand me downs", what will he get for Xmas? :shock:
Well if I get the 5870 and he gets my old 4870 then he will get a nice Deluxe car wash kit (I'll let him try it out on my GTO :evil: ). I'm already shopping for it :)
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

lets just say if you had a rig like that, i dont think you would need to overclock m8 :lol: i mean that would keep you going for sometime, well the graphics cards and ram maybe but your cpu would be out dated before the rest of your kit. so just getting say an i7 920 at least would do you good for a while.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air