Itunes issue

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Itunes issue

Post by Tim Burton »

How do I stop having iTunes automatically launch and automatically sync when I plug in my iPod? Drives me up the wall that it does that.

I'll have it sync and boot when I want it to.
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Itunes issue

Post by Tech_Greek »

I looked everywhere in Vista and Windows 7 and could not get it to stop.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Tech_Greek wrote:I looked everywhere in Vista and Windows 7 and could not get it to stop.
Glad I'm not the only one.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Another issue:

I just bought a 3G 16GB. The price was outstanding, so I couldn't refuse it, unlike those idiots who think that a 3G 16GB is worth $500.

Question, how can I use the same computer with iTunes to keep my Touch and my iPhone connected? For the most part, I use my touch for my MP3s, but I'll at times use my 3G. Can I use the same account and stuff to sync both?
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

Tim Burton wrote:Another issue:

I just bought a 3G 16GB. The price was outstanding, so I couldn't refuse it, unlike those idiots who think that a 3G 16GB is worth $500.

Question, how can I use the same computer with iTunes to keep my Touch and my iPhone connected? For the most part, I use my touch for my MP3s, but I'll at times use my 3G. Can I use the same account and stuff to sync both?
Only one iPod may be synched to the same "library". My recommendation is to make a second Windows user account or start toying with making multiple libraries.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Crap....

What do you mean make multiple libraries? I didn't create a library, I just put the music in from MUSIC and don't bother with the iTunes library part. I really hate using iTunes as it is. I miss Anapod's ease of use.
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

Tim Burton wrote:Crap....

What do you mean make multiple libraries? I didn't create a library, I just put the music in from MUSIC and don't bother with the iTunes library part. I really hate using iTunes as it is. I miss Anapod's ease of use.
If you go to file > libraries it should be there - I haven't used iTunes in a while so they might have moved it around.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Are you referring to when you plug in your iPod that iTunes opens up?
Download CCleaner go to the Start Up area and delete the iTunesHelper from automatically starting with Windows.

To disable syncing you will probably have to set your iPod to it's factory settings and this time choose not to automatically sync.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Major_A wrote:Are you referring to when you plug in your iPod that iTunes opens up?
Download CCleaner go to the Start Up area and delete the iTunesHelper from automatically starting with Windows.

To disable syncing you will probably have to set your iPod to it's factory settings and this time choose not to automatically sync.
When you say set your iPod to its factory settings, do you mean to reformat/restore?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Tim Burton wrote:How do I stop having iTunes automatically launch and automatically sync when I plug in my iPod? Drives me up the wall that it does that.

I'll have it sync and boot when I want it to.

My caveat, I have a mac, so the menus may be different.

Go to File --> Preferences

There is an option there to disable automatic syncing for Iphones and Ipods

To disable the launch, open Itunes, and attach your device

Under the Summary Tab, under the Options area at the bottom there is a check box for Open Itunes when this Ipod is attached

This should get you started on Syncing the two devices with the same Library

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Tim Burton wrote:
Major_A wrote:Are you referring to when you plug in your iPod that iTunes opens up?

When you say set your iPod to its factory settings, do you mean to reformat/restore?
I was but it looks like dicecca has a better solution. FYI, I own 2 iPods and I "sc delete" Bonjour, iTunesHelper and it seems like one more after I install/update iTunes. It complains about Bonjour not being installed but iTunes works just fine without it.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Ok, I went here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495

I then followed the directions for multiple accounts, but it won't allow me to put songs on the iphone.

I've made the second library. I select it, and when I go to drag MP3s from my Music folder, it just has the no symbol on it.

WTH? This is why I miss anapod. No crap to deal with securing iTunes from "pirating".

Edit: I have 8.2, I noticed that people said there was problems with it and you need to go to 8.1. Is that still the case? If so, how do I go to 8.1?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Are the songs protected in any way?
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Major_A wrote:Are the songs protected in any way?

No, but I found out that they still haven't fixed the 8.2 issue, so I downgraded and everything is golden.