Lap Top Shopping

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Lap Top Shopping

Post by Sowser »

My girlfriend's daughter is starting High School today and will be purchasing a laptop by this weekend. Her budget is $500 give or take and she'll be using it for typing up homework, using the internet, editing and storing pictures, loading music on to her i-touch, and all other manor of things that teens use their computers to do. I was looking at the Egg and found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834146581 I don't know anything about the brand but it's along the line of what she's looking for to give you an idea. If anyone knows of any good deals or has any tips I'd appreciate it.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Lap Top Shopping

Post by Darkstar »

I would spend a bit more and get a core 2 duo.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... ku=9382535

something like that one. If thats not an option check the local rags for b2s specials. A buddy just picked up a laptop (Compaq/HP at Walmart for 299.00 and it would be fine for a student.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

While shopping I keep running across the brand Lenovo. They seem to use quality components, does anyone know anything about the brand?
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Sowser wrote:While shopping I keep running across the brand Lenovo. They seem to use quality components, does anyone know anything about the brand?
It's quite an extensive history, but Lenovo is basically the new IBM thinkpad line since its 2005 purchase of IBM's PC division.
Lenovo is the world's fourth largest personal computer manufacturer after Hewlett-Packard and Dell of the U.S. and Acer of Taiwan.

I'm in agreement with Darkstar, spend a little more and get a core 2 duo.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I disagree. The T4200 has all the power states that make Intel the choice for laptops. On top of that she isn't going to be encoding video using Premiere Pro on it so no point in wasting money. I had to help my sister shop for a laptop when she left for college and I was looking at the fast processors and realized eventually that she doesn't use a PC like I do.

I don't recommend it, but my Eee PC 1000HA with an Atom runs Firefox, Photoshop (CS3), and other basic applications more than adequately.

On Lenovo: Everything I've ever read about them is that they are well built machines that don't come fully bloated like a Dell or HP.
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sasamkd »

I fully agree with Major_A.
Will sufice (even if she is going to encode video :) :P ). For those things she won't need anything more powerfull. I personally think the CPU is too powerfull for those things she is going to do, but I don't recomend anything less. Usually > cheaper CPU - cheaper components (lower quality).
Lenovo is OK.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

anything below $800 and I tell people to just get the cheapest thing they can find that is NOT a celeron processor :)

That should be fine for what she is using it for!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Major_A wrote: On Lenovo: Everything I've ever read about them is that they are well built machines that don't come fully bloated like a Dell or HP.

I just bought several of the SL500 Lenovo (Core 2 Duo) for $500 and they are just as loaded as Dell and HP with the Bloatware. But they seem fine, i think after looking at them and using them the quality is not what it was when they were IBM manafactured.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Hmmm, the best price I could find on the SL500 Lenovo was $550. The most intensive thing she's likely to run is Sims 3 and she's paying for it with her own money she earned working a summer job at $9 an hour so I'm really trying to find a functional laptop between $500-$600.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

What about this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8089774715 and then replace the hard drive with a 500 gig hard drive and more ram. She can use the extra hard drive as an extrenal hard drive.

Should be around 550.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Get a NETBOOK! and save the money for tuition and books.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Did you go to college?. If I had to go back in time and write one of my ten page reports on a 10" screen at 1024x600 I would've ended up throwing the netbook through a window.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Tim Burton wrote:Get a NETBOOK! and save the money for tuition and books.
A netbook is fine if you have another computer (e.g. desktop) which you can use. Otherwise, I really wouldn't go for a netbook as an only computer. There's just too many limitations. Sure, she's only starting high school, but still, it's the kids who usually find new stuff to do on their computers. Even browsing websites nowadays require quite a bit of CPU cycles what with the widespread use of Flash. Try opening a MySpace profile page and you'll be inundated with pretty bad web design. Pages are usually very busy and contain embedded Flash video or music playlists.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Frys has a Lenovo T4200, 3GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, 15.4 inch display, DVD RW, Wireless laptop for $400 that I'm going to pick up. Thanks guys for the input!