Rogue Router problems= grrrrrr

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
blitz121
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Rogue Router problems= grrrrrr

Post by blitz121 »

Hey gang I got a code for you guys to crack. I live in a dorm but some how my computer (through ethernet, hardwire whatever) displays a 168.192 IP address and it should be a 10.0.0.2 . Anywho I need help to get this fixed back to what it normally is. In common terms please.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Rogue Router problems= grrrrrr

Post by Major_A »

Sorry, never lived in a dorm. I know that most college system admins put the network on lockdown.

Typical things to try:
Reboot the router
Reboot the NIC
Adjust the DNS settings in the router
Temporarily disable security in the router
Look for updated firmware for the router

Sorry but that's the best I've got.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

remove the router from the equation and see if your computer gives you a proper IP addy - if it does then hold the rest button on the router (while its plugged in) for around 10 seconds to wipe all the settings out. Reinstall the router in the loop and see if you now get a real IP on the computer - if not try CLONING your network card ID in the router, most routers have a button to do this. Then reboot everything and see if it works.

See if any of that works for you.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
blitz121
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by blitz121 »

the problem is I am not running a router. I am just plugging into a wall adapter to their service but someone else running a router gave my laptop a different ip address
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

did you try turning off the wireless? then release/renew while plugged into the wall?

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
The Flying Pig
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by The Flying Pig »

Hopefully its been fixed already.
If not, make an effort to contact your school's residential network staff.
They are able to track it down and just simply block the port the rogue is spewing from.

We had this issue back in winter quarter of finals week.
Everybody in my house, all 4 floors, were in the middle of the hallway where the wireless internet signal (slower & more restricted than ethernet) was somewhat decent.

Or other thing you can do is go knocking on every door to see who recently installed a router :finga:
CPU: Intel QX6850 @ 3.68GHz (3.0GHz) | Cooler: Scythe Orochi | Ram: Corsair 8GB (4 x 2GB) XMS2 DHX @ 920MHz (800MHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DS4 | GPU: ATI 4870x2 @ 800MHz (750MHz) Core & 915MHz (900MHz) Memory | Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM 150GB (OS) | VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM 300GB (Games) | Caviar Green 2TB (2 x 1TB in RAID 0 for Storage)
Power: Corsair 750TX | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | OS: Microsoft Windows 7 x64