Budget monitor opinions?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Graogrim
Legit User
Legit User

Budget monitor opinions?

Post by Graogrim »

I've currently got a slightly aged 19" LG monitor, which is ok but there are a few issues that I have with it. One, it has a TN panel. I know this is going to be hard to escape in the budget segment, especially since I need fast response times, but I can actually see the oscillating checkerboard dithering pattern used to improve the monitor's 6-bit color depth, especially when large swaths of textured areas sweep across the screen in games. Second, I'm growing dissatisfied with 1440x900 resolution and I'd like to kick it up a notch to 1680x1050. I know there are some Full HD 1920x1080 monitors out there, but I'm not a fan of that aspect ratio and I'm concerned that I might be giving up too much performance for that kind of resolution. Third, something that almost looks like frost blooms has appeared along the sides of the inside screen (behind the liquid crystal) that shows up very obviously when lightly colored areas are positioned over them.

Some of the new LED driven monitors look pretty compelling on paper, but I haven't had the opportunity to see them in action myself, plus they seem to start about $70 higher than I'd like to spend. I'd be comfortable with something $150 or less, but I could be persuaded to part with a *bit* more if the featureset was compelling enough.

With all that in mind, anyone have some recommendations?
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Budget monitor opinions?

Post by ColdPlay »

Hi there!
It all depends on several things of course, what you mainly use your pc for amongst others..
I´m a casual gamer, and for my part, I would have chosen a 22" or 24" lcd monitor with 2ms respons time, and good contrast ratio.With HDMI!
You can always set the aspect ratio in games as you like, if only the monitor supports it.
I've read good reports on screens with 5ms, so I don't now if thats a big deal. Prices varies a great deal from country to country, check out newegg.com,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236053 if you're in the neighbourhood :)

Ps, I'm not an expert! ColdOut
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
JMMD
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by JMMD »

I got my Samsung for $150 after rebate a while ago so I'm sure it's cheaper now (or replaced by a newer model). It's the Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680x1050 2ms). I love it.
Graogrim
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Graogrim »

JMMD wrote:I got my Samsung for $150 after rebate a while ago so I'm sure it's cheaper now (or replaced by a newer model). It's the Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680x1050 2ms). I love it.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Do you recall where you got it?
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

like coldplays idea check out www.newegg.com I just saw some really nice LCD monitors yeaterday when i was looking.. I have 3 ACER LCD monitors and they are great looking
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

Watch out Dell, they put monitors on sale from time to time. Last year in November, I got 23'' high def....perfect for gaming........I game at 1920x1080....for $175 including taxes&shipping.
helf
Legit User
Legit User

Post by helf »

I would stay away from any of the cheaper ViewSonic LCDs. We use them at work (stupid government support bids!) and have had a HORRIBLE failure rate. I've had to replace over 15 of them already due to failed backlight inverters mostly, few has their power boards go out all together. We only have about 80 of them in my department. :shock: