Buy a laptop

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
techking13
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Buy a laptop

Post by techking13 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:59 pm

I''m looking to buy a new laptop and I would like some imput as to what to get. I want one good for gaming/multimedia but not too extreme. Price can be no more than $1500. It needs to be portable and run on a Windows server. I will probably mainly use it for school, but also gaming and multimedia. Should have pretty good specs.

I know it is pretty broad, but do you have any recommendations? Most of you are probably more experienced than I am.

hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Buy a laptop

Post by hercules71185 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:16 pm

I see you have a very wide spectrum of what you are looking for. But, you are in luck because $1500 gets you a lot now. The only thing I think we need to get started on helping you out is just a basic size. How portable are you planning on this being. Are you looking for a small 14" laptop, a middle sized 15.4", or are you looking for a full on desktop replacement with a 17-20" screen?

I'll give a single simple suggestion in the middle sized laptop range, just so you can see what you can get with $1500...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220576

That laptop has a gtx 260m, it's very powerful for a laptop and should last a while for basic gaming.
4GB of DDR2 plus 1GB video ram. Meaning you can use this without the worry of needing to worry about ram.
320gb Hard drive. This is the only thing slightly modest on this PC. If you wanted with the saved money you could easily sell the 320gb on Ebay. And upgrade to 500GB if needed.
1080p HD monitor, speaks for it self, at 15.4 inches that's way more than high resolution.
And the processor is a decently powerful laptop dual core processor.

techking13
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Buy a laptop

Post by techking13 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:13 pm

hercules71185 wrote:The only thing I think we need to get started on helping you out is just a basic size. How portable are you planning on this being. Are you looking for a small 14" laptop, a middle sized 15.4", or are you looking for a full on desktop replacement with a 17-20" screen?
Thanks for the input, I was thinking middle-sized.