Advice on an Apple Purchase

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Which Option?

iMac
45%
LED Cinema Display
27%
Mac Mini and 24" Display
27%

Total votes: 11

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Advice on an Apple Purchase

Post by dicecca112 »

So I'm going to be doing a far amount of XML work, and prepping for MS Certs (MSCA, MSCE, MCP training using Parallels to run Windows) and I need something with a bigger screen than my 15" MacBook Pro, and of course I'm going the Mac route.

I've had a couple thoughts and I'm curious what you guys think. If possible, I'm going to buy these at the Apple Store.

1. 27" iMac - Wouldn't need the Quad Core (1699)
Pros
- All in One Solution, more desk space
- Get the new Mouse
- Separate Computer from Personal Laptop
- Most Storage

Cons
- Price

2. 30" Cinema HD Display that would attach to my MacBook (1799)
Pros
- Larger Area to work

Cons
- Price
- No Separate System

3. Mac Mini with 24" Cinema Display (599 + 899 = 1498)
Pros
- Separate System

Cons
- Less storage (160GB)
- Takes up more space on Desk
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Advice on an Apple Purchase

Post by InspectahACE »

well...I was going to say get the HD display, but that costs as much as option #1. Plus it seems like maybe you want a separate system, so I say go for the 27"" iMac..almost as big as the 30 inch, but for the price of that, you at least get a separate system minus 3 inches on the monitor
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

just out of curiosity... Why are you getting a mac?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I've used everything windows Linux and now mac. I find there stuff just works no matter how much I tinker with it. I don't have the patience or time to build a system or tinker with. I just like mac. I don't game and it does everything the way I want it to.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Out of all those options, I think that #1 would be the best value. What happens if your laptop gets stolen or broken? You'll have your iMac. Only 3" difference from that 30" monitor you were talking about, but costs less. Theres my $0.02 then :)
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

#2 with a much cheaper Dell or Samsung panel instead? Not sure why you'd even consider the Apple display for anything other than aesthetics
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Because a LED Panel equivalent to the ones listed here would cost upwards of 2000$ You should do some research, I used to think the same until I did my research and saw them for myself. Everyone comments how crisp clear and true to color my laptop screen is. Apple Panels have some of the truest colors. There is a reason graphic artists and photographers a lot of times use apple products.

Just a warning to all Apple Haters (Not saying you are one Zertz), I like Apple get over it. Don't true to tell me otherwise, I'll delete your comment from this thread as not relevant. Those are the options for this thread take it or leave it.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Hmm didn't know that about the apple displays. My thought would be to go with option 3. Reason being if the computer fails it is much cheaper and easier to replace that if the imac computer fails. I am not a fan of all in one for that reason primarily. Now I used to say apples don't seem to fail but I have 2 dead 14" ibooks sitting here ](*,)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I always buy the AppleCare Plan so if it fails, I can have it replaced. I never keep my components past three years for two reasons, for one I'm a tech geek there is always something better, and two after three years the resale value is almost gone, so I sell it.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

dicecca112 wrote:I always buy the AppleCare Plan so if it fails, I can have it replaced. I never keep my components past three years for two reasons, for one I'm a tech geek there is always something better, and two after three years the resale value is almost gone, so I sell it.
Very true. With that said it is cheaper to upgrade if you only want to upgrade the computer and not the monitor.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Lets put it this way. I owned a quad core for 2 days, and decided I didn't need all the performance. Spending 1700$ on a desktop every three years, I can deal with that. Like I said in the original post, I'm not a tinkerer anymore, just want it to turn on when I tell it to. And if it doesn't I want to go somewhere and say fix it or replace and I walk out with a working computer.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Well in that case I would be torn between the Imac and the mac mini. I would probably lean toward the Imac since it has a bit more display. It would be a touch call though. I suppose thats why you asked for opinions on here :lol:. I think the Imac may be your best bet.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah I would think the 27" iMac would make the most sense in the long run.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

The mini.
You can always use a separated display. You will always be able to use the mini as HTPC (by far the best platform: silent, powerful, integrated). I have an old mini which came with a coreduo core, I change it to a T7600, and is still my best htpc in home. I would pick up the mini just for that point of versatility.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It sadens me to know that I'm falling into the same camp as you Matt :finga:
(I've not broken down to using a mac desktop at home, but I have done a bit of using my MBP on my 22" monitor)

Apart from the couple of reviews I've done in the last month or so, I've not touched my desktop for using my MBP instead :D

I'd say go with the new imac's (and let us know how that magic mouse works for you). The mac mini represents the worst bang for the buck in the mac lineup (aside for maybe the apple tv thing). And as the imac's are new out they'll have better hardware that will age better for you.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

DMB2000uk wrote:It sadens me to know that I'm falling into the same camp as you Matt :finga:
(I've not broken down to using a mac desktop at home, but I have done a bit of using my MBP on my 22" monitor)

Apart from the couple of reviews I've done in the last month or so, I've not touched my desktop for using my MBP instead :D

I'd say go with the new imac's (and let us know how that magic mouse works for you). The mac mini represents the worst bang for the buck in the mac lineup (aside for maybe the apple tv thing). And as the imac's are new out they'll have better hardware that will age better for you.

Dan

Yeah the Magic Mouse is definitely something I want to play with. I want to take a look at some of the tear-downs of the new iMacs, I want to know if someone with some ingenuity can upgrade the HDD and definitely want to know if I can upgrade the memory, because 4GB is good, but 8GB is better
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Trust you're aware of the ifixit teardowns. :)

Looks kinda scary taking that glass screen off to replace the HDD.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ViPeR.Ja
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ViPeR.Ja »

i used the 24" imac in my college's comp lab and i must say i have grown to love them and would definitely get one if i had the money plus its an all in one so its more convenient
Dell Sucks.... In my opinion anyways
New Rig
AMD Phenom II 955 at 3.2ghz
DFI 790
4GB OCZ 1066mhz
MSI 280 GTX
650Watts Antec Truepower Trio
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

Laptop + screen seems very, very awkward.

The mac mini has always been a bit of an annoyance to me... for whatever reason... i remember some sort of failed "iCube" everytime i see it.

So I have to say go for the iMac, all-in-one solutions are always a plus, 27 inches is very doable to me, and as you said, you could get one of those new-fangled magic mice :3

Clean. Large. Pretty. All-in-one. 'Nuff said.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Ended up ordering and receiving today the iMac 27" and damn this thing is big, dare I say too big for the desk. But its nice to work on. And I really like the magic mouse, doesn't have the issues like the Mighty Mouse were I didn't click to the side enough to do the right click. And the swipe motion is really nice to scroll.