The new monopoly game... "Intel"

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

The new monopoly game... "Intel"

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Andrew Cuomo, the Attorney General of New York, has filed a lawsuit against Intel, claiming that the company is an illegal monopoly that engages "in a worldwide, systematic campaign of illegal conduct - revealed in e-mails - in order to maintain its monopoly power and prices in the market for microprocessors."
http://consumerist.com/5397053/ny-ag-in ... e=true&s=x

Discuss...

I hope it goes through because I completely see if being true! Look at all the money they would spend to keep AMD out of Quakecon! Stuff like that.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The new monopoly game... "Intel"

Post by Apoptosis »

I don't think Quakecon shows a monopoly... It shows that ID was greedy... Just keep raising the prices and making profit off a free LAN party. If it got out of AMD's price range is that Intel's fault? I don't think so.

If one company is successful they shouldn't have to wait for the other companies to catch up or spend less on advertising because the other company can't afford it. If that is the case I should sue Toms Hardware, Anandtech and all the other review sites that charge more for advertising than I do and get products first because they are bigger. How is that fair to me?

How can Legit Reviews ever get to that level when we aren't treated the same or have the ability to make the same revenue?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sasamkd »

I agree about Quakecon, but...

One thing is to spend more on advertising, completely diffrent is spending (any) money on things like "don't sell his CPUs, and I'll give you discount on mine).
Instead, spend more on advertising, research, support, to keep the competition in your dust.
Absolutely I don't agree with the comment "I should sue Toms Hardware".
No one sues Intel for being bigger, better, more profittable etc.
Kill your competition with things I mentioned, not with dirty play.
LR can get to "that level" and be treated "that way" when LR's reader/visitor base get as big as theirs (TH, etc.). Same goes for AMD and Intel.
You should sue TH if and when they say - Hey if don't put your comercial on LR's page, than I'll publish it cheaper on mine.

Anyway. Nothing new and unexpected about Intel's behaviour.

At the end - It's all 'bout money...
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

this is actually one of the reasons my next build will be ATI/AMD. (and i have never owned their hardware in the past only intel/nvidia). I want fair competition, not dirty tactics.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sasamkd wrote: At the end - It's all 'bout money...
yup
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

So what if its all about money. So is contract killing. Laws need to be followed, and companies that try to do what intel is doing should be forced to pay HUGE fines, which should then be awarded to the competitors that their illegal practices tried to hurt.

You want to do business? fine. You want to make the best chips on the market? fine. You want to eliminate competition through illegal means so you can charge monopoly prices? I say you get a fine so hefty that it not only overturns the impact of the illegal practice, but also gives the competitor an advantage. This way they will think twice before trying this again.

This is really disgusting behavior by intel, and i wont be recommending anything they have for anyone i know... For a really long while.
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

I thought this kind of behaviours were what makes capitalism such a perfect and wonderful system. :owned:
Why the average user would need 4 cores, high overclock possibilities, triple channel, if it wasn't for intel?
Intel is just saving us to have a crappy AMD for reading the email, typing some word.doc, retouching some picture and downloading movies... :prayer:

The same happens with servers, who trust in an opteron? :toimonster:
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

OH SH** Did I just stir the pot??
LOL

Call me narrow minded and biased. I just have always been an AMD fanboy and will always be. ...says the current owner of an Intel system... :oops: :roll:
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sasamkd »

Did not want to comment, but I had to (for the first part).

"...capitalism such a perfect and wonderful system..." AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA

I guess your moto is - ignorance is bliss.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I started out as an AMD fan, but after several weak AMD gaming systems. I converted over to Intel. After converting, my gaming performance increased significantly, so it would take a lot more than this to ever convince me to buy anything AMD again.

I'm not narrow minded, but I am biased...but only because I saw the proof with my own 2 eyes.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Are we seriously going to imply that capitalism is some screwed up conspiracy against smaller businesses?

Ok whatever, Intel has done what they thought necessary to grow as they have, and I do agree with DeusEx and DragonCooler that many of their steps were out of the bounds of legality. I can't say I condone their business practices, I wish things were a bit more competitive, but thats the lifeblood of enterprise: competition.

If AMD wanted to stay in business, they would have made a better product at a price point where people might actually be able to afford a decent performing system. /sarcasm

I'd prefer it if people kept their rude opinions to themselves on which economic systems are better than others, because you might complain about capitalism but face it, you are a consumer and you owe your entire computer rig to the system you turn your nose up at.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Apoptosis wrote:I don't think Quakecon shows a monopoly... It shows that ID was greedy... Just keep raising the prices and making profit off a free LAN party. If it got out of AMD's price range is that Intel's fault? I don't think so.

If one company is successful they shouldn't have to wait for the other companies to catch up or spend less on advertising because the other company can't afford it. If that is the case I should sue Toms Hardware, Anandtech and all the other review sites that charge more for advertising than I do and get products first because they are bigger. How is that fair to me?

How can Legit Reviews ever get to that level when we aren't treated the same or have the ability to make the same revenue?
It's not fair, if you were to ask me. Anandtech is going more to news and a pro Apple stance. The last decent article I liked from them was Anand's own write up of SSD drives. On top of that their articles are too heavy on the technical details for me. Tom's has been worthless for 5+ years now. Example Tom's Article: Does Overclocking Make Your Computer Faster?
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sasamkd »

stopthekilling77 wrote:Are we seriously going to imply that capitalism is some screwed up conspiracy against smaller businesses?

Ok whatever, Intel has done what they thought necessary to grow as they have, and I do agree with DeusEx and DragonCooler that many of their steps were out of the bounds of legality. I can't say I condone their business practices, I wish things were a bit more competitive, but thats the lifeblood of enterprise: competition.

If AMD wanted to stay in business, they would have made a better product at a price point where people might actually be able to afford a decent performing system. /sarcasm

I'd prefer it if people kept their rude opinions to themselves on which economic systems are better than others, because you might complain about capitalism but face it, you are a consumer and you owe your entire computer rig to the system you turn your nose up at.
Misunderstood? Read pls...
Did not said which system is better. Did not turn my nose up at any system.
Not just the computer rig.
But is far, far from being wonderfull and perfect (sorry if anyone is offended again).
And is necessary and a system that humanity must go trough (eventually).
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

no one is complaining about capitalism. Some regulations are necessary to prevent exactly this kind of behavior. Did you guys read what intel actually has tried to do so far to keep AMD from gaining marketshare? I tried to post a PDF but this forum wont allow that format ](*,) . There are several places on the web where this info is available, and it was a crazy read. I knew companies played a little dirty, but what i read in this lawsuit is absolutely ridiculous.
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by sasamkd »

Also, if Intel was playing fair, maybe AMD could have made more money and spend more on research and development and comercial and made even more and gave us better, than this "crappy", processors. ;)
skier

Post by skier »

one little problem is that the only computer-related Companies(other than bestbuy/retailers) that spend money on TV-advertising is Intel, Dell, Microsoft, and Apple- can't really think of anything else, maybe HP but not much if any and i havnt seen a DELL ad in quite some time either

i wish there were more tech commercials really, it would make helping ppl with builds so much easier because most people don't know what nvidia, ATI, AMD, and many other companies even are, if i say to my mom i'm buying an ATI OR AMD product, her first question is: "is that a real company? it sounds fake"- i'd say 60% of americans don't know the difference between a processor and a computer case and that's the very sad truth
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

sasamkd wrote:Also, if Intel was playing fair, maybe AMD could have made more money and spend more on research and development and comercial and made even more and gave us better, than this "crappy", processors. ;)
LMAO! :lol:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

skier wrote: i'd say 60% of americans don't know the difference between a processor and a computer case and that's the very sad truth
Don't know how many times I've seen someone point at their computer case and call it the CPU. :(
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

About time Intel finally get the punishment they deserve. Quite a bit of things about Intel and their dirtiness have been out and around on the web in the last several years.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Major_A wrote:
skier wrote: i'd say 60% of americans don't know the difference between a processor and a computer case and that's the very sad truth
Don't know how many times I've seen someone point at their computer case and call it the CPU. :(
Haha YES or "hard drive/modem/router/floppy" it's funny the first few times then it just gets old
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz: