New Build

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

New Build

Post by Razorbacx »

All,

I so value your opinion that I wanted to provide a list of new parts that I am considering as a rebuild attempt since destroying my motherboard. Please look it over and take into consideration the following items that I will integrate into these new parts:

Q6600 Processor
9800GTX+ Video Card
500GB HD (preloaded with Vista)
2 GB DDR2 667, PC2 5300 (paired with an additional 2 GB's (1 GB sticks x 2)
CoolerMaster Wave Master case

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817341018

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128380

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820146526

I know that I'll have to contact MS to get them to reactivate Vista, which I'm hoping will be the biggest problem that I'll face with this new build. Your thoughts, opinions or possible issues that you foresee with these components would be and will be most welcomed.

Thanks,

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
ckthecerealkiller
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: New Build

Post by ckthecerealkiller »

Everything looks good. Only thing I can think of is some better memory.

You can get some 1066 4gb kits for $100. But it's still another $50 over your current price.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I would skip the P43 chipset and get a P45. There are more features on the board, RAID, firewire, HD Audio, etc... I own 2 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P boards and don't have a single complaint.

Depending on which chipset you are running now you may have to do a complete reinstall of Windows. FYI, that you might want to back up important data first.
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I like your hardware choices, I'd spend the additional money on an OS upgrade. Windows 7 is leaps and bounds above Vista. I'm running it on my netbook/notebook and it is SOOOO fast.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

I appreciate the repsonses. I've been keeping an eye on the current pricing hoping to take advantage of some extra discounts to upgrade in areas that I couldn't justify doing just because I wanted to. I may sit on this until BF in hopes of finding some outstanding deals.

I've got some other ideas to bounce off of all of you once I get my list together.

Thanks again!

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
goodguy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by goodguy »

Isn't vista a pile of crap,

i mean that in the nicest possible way.

A good upgrade for you would be to use a ssd drive. i got one in. Makes a big difference
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

I understand your statement about Vista; however, I need to get my computer rebuilt before I can upgrade the OS. My personal opinion, Microsoft should actually provide users of Vista an upgrade option that is reasonably priced instead of the $110.00 upgrade cost. With that said, anyone else have anything else to say about my choice of hardware? Am I wasting my time with socket LGA 775? I really like my Q6600 processor, but is it literally on the way out or is there some life left in socket LGA 775? I know that I should probably upgrade my memory and I might do so if Black Friday is good this year and I can find some outstanding deals out there.

Razorbacx
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I agree...Vista turned out to be such a disgrace that MS should provide a FREE Win7 upgrade to anyone who has a valid Vista license!

But hey, they didn't want to admit that Vista was a Failure, so I never expected them to offer anything special to their Vista casualties.

As for me, I still have two 775 systems and I have no plans of upgrading anytime soon. There is still no software or game on the market that I can't destroy with my systems, so why waste the money.

You will probably get arguments both ways. You can just upgrade the motherboard and stay with 775 (cheaper, practical), or you can buy a new board, cpu, and memory...your choice if you choose to keep up with the Jones' or not. :mrgreen:

Do yourself a favor...bit the bullet and pony up for the Windows 7 OS. I am one of the original Vista h8ers and I absolutely love 7.
goodguy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by goodguy »

I dunno. I've run xp pro for years now without a problem. I n-lited the installation disc and used xp lite to remove unwanted components,

thing runs like greased lightning. My sister got a laptop preloaded with vista as did my brother, man was it dragging, Bloat Bloat Bloat.

I got sick and tired of waiting, wiped the hdd, installed xp pro, applied xp-lite, shut down unwanted services in admin tools, gives win 7 a run for

its money any day.

At the end of it all MS don't care about their customers which they have proven time and time again, screw

them, get win7 and **hack**cough**cough**hackit**coughcough.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

goodguy wrote:I dunno. I've run xp pro for years now without a problem. I n-lited the installation disc and used xp lite to remove unwanted components,

thing runs like greased lightning. My sister got a laptop preloaded with vista as did my brother, man was it dragging, Bloat Bloat Bloat.

I got sick and tired of waiting, wiped the hdd, installed xp pro, applied xp-lite, shut down unwanted services in admin tools, gives win 7 a run for

its money any day.

At the end of it all MS don't care about their customers which they have proven time and time again, screw

them, get win7 and **hack**cough**cough**hackit**coughcough.
Weren't you asking for help with a XP install the other day? That doesn't sound like an error free system. Vista worked fine for me, even on older computers. I don't why everyone bashes it especially after SP1. If I ever by a pre-built or a laptop I only boot up to make note of the drivers and then I do a fresh install. You can't blame Microsoft for manufactures installing bloatware. That bloatware is the same reason I can get a good laptop for 400 bucks. Microsoft has offered so many cheap alternatives to get windows 7 fairly cheap.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

pwcmed wrote:If I ever by a pre-built or a laptop I only boot up to make note of the drivers and then I do a fresh install.
Or you could use a program like Driver Magician and backup all the original drivers. Then you don't have to redownload drivers that way and/or track them down. Laptop drivers aren't usually the easiest things to find.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I am a little confused? If you have a hard drive pre-configured with vista and you add a different motherboard, how do you expect it to work? 500GB HD (preloaded with Vista). I don't get it.
What am I missing? Are you going to reinstall vista or go to windows 7. Either way you have to do a complete wipe of the hard drive. Am I missing something? In my opinion, if you have to replace your motherboard, then I suggest that you buy a new hard drive and install the os of your choice.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I was thinking the same thing but Major A addressed that is his first post.

I might have to check out driver magician.