Dude! your getting a dell with SLI ?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Dude! your getting a dell with SLI ?

Post by bubba »

well mabey not, well a guy here at work started asking me about the dell boxes and that he was going to get one of his kid for xmas. I told him I could help him build one with better parts but he is set on getting one from them. but he was showing me the ones he picked well one got my attention dell now has a high end rig aimed at gammers its the xps 600, has dual 7800 on a NF4 SLI setup but its 3 grand. there is an upgrade option for a dual core P4 as well thats another grand.

one if I was going to drop 3 grand on a box, its not going to be from dell. any how thought I would share the info. SLI in off the shelf machines...
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Yeah, I just read that too. I think it's good that Dell is starting do diversify a little bit. Almost gives me the sense of remotely even thinking about the possiblity of Dell using AMD! :shock:
Anyway, here's the info I found:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=2493&p=3
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Well, if there is any credence to the threats Intel supposadly made against HP for using AMD procs, Dell ain't gonna get beaten to "guacamole"...
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

well if you want a 3k overheating POS, then by all means get a dell. Any computer savy person first of all is not gonna spend 3k on a dell, and no dell user is gonna ever need that.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

So dell's going the route of the Boutique computer builders. I always thought of them as suppliers to business & the home user for net surfing & the like.
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Soliex »

I have never liked dell, ever since my parents had purchased a dell and the thing had no AGP slot. So i ended up getting the best PCI video card out.

But dell going into gaming rigs only proves that there is a big market for it now.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

pretty much. I told my co-worker to pick the dell he liked and then I would build him one with better parts and for less money. he's starting to like that idea when I showed him how much he could save (that I'm fixing his dell for him alot)

I just thought it funny to the point of being stupid that dell would be selling a machine like this. for the coin I figure that one would go alienware, even then I would build it myself.
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Soliex »

Good Friend you are, i dont think id wanna build another friend a computer, because now everytime the things goes wrong guess who he comes to?

Now i like to help people out but computer problems just boggle my mind. expecially when i have no clue what it is. Building my pc gave me a whole lot of stress because the mobo was defective but hey, its running nice now.

But its nice of you to offer to build him one, and save him a ton of money.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I dont do it for everyone, just people I like. works out I help out some of guys I work with and they buy me lunch :) or get me parts for my RC trucks.
Zeratul
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Zeratul »

I got lucky when I bought my dell...

$800
for 2.4 ghz, 512 ram, GeForce 420 Mx. It was 3 years ago that I bought it too.

You could get an INSANE system if you spent 3 grand and put together yourself.

AMD 57FX or 4800 X2
Dual 7800 GTX
4 gig of ram.
InFuZiOn
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InFuZiOn »

Dell wont ever actually use AMD because Intel threatens them as well as other major manufacturers. Thats what this whole anti-trust thing is about.
Zeratul
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Zeratul »

What I dont get is why do all these computer companies keep selling intel processors in their rigs when intel gets its but handed to it by AMD.

Pentium 4's are completely outclassed by athlon 64's an Athlon 64 3000+ will outperform an intel 3.4 ghz almost at everything besides media encoding. Plus they are cheaper...

I guess if your selling computers ment for office work you can sell intel's but thats what celerons are for...
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

If i can build a PC anyone can, and I'm a very impatient person. Seriously, if i don't get a game I play within minutes i dump it ( like the controls and such, thats what happened with RollerCoaster Tycoon)
Kevin007
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kevin007 »

I'd totally like cry if I got $3000 to spend.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

well let's see here, if I was given 3000 to build a system, here is what I would want, personally:

-A64 X2 3800
-DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
-OCZ PowerStream 600W PSU fully sleeved in UV blue with green heatshrink by Performance PC's
-Koolance Exos 2 watercooling kit with waterblocks for CPU, GPU, RAM, and NB
-2 GB OCZ Platinum PC4800
-2 X 300GB Diamondmax-10 or maxline
-Tt Tsunami Dream case
-2 Evercool 120mm aluminum case fans (plus a fan for each side panel)
-and if I had enough, a 7800GTX

.....oh wait a minute, I'm getting this stuff anyways!!!!! lol; I'll take the 3 G's anyway and dump it into another system...haha, dang addiction :rolleyes:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

given $3000, i'd get:

thermaltake tsunami dream case - free (already own it)
ocz 520w modstream - free (already own it)
amd athlon 64 fx-57 - $1020
2gb ocz platinum pc4800 - $500
dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr - $200
2 bfg 7800gtx - $1030
dell 2005fpw 20.1" widescreen lcd monitor - free (will have it soon)
nec dual-layer dvd burner - free (already own it)
generic cd-rw - free (already own it)
logitech mx510 - free (already own it)
senheisser pc155 headset - $90
2-tone black/white keyboard - free (already own it)
2 160gb seagate 7200.7 rpm sata hd - $160

total = $3000
Last edited by -mogwai on Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

holy crap you're getting a Dell 20.1" widescreen? I might have to check into that, how much? lol, because I would take a LCD over this 17" CRT any day.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

my buddy works for dell, so he's getting my a sweet deal on one.... less than half price :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I've got the Dell 2005fps monitor, and its awesome. Not a single dead pixel, great for gaming, and very little bleed through.
I'm waiting for a good deal on their 2405fps, then I'm going to sell this one.
I also just bought those Sennheiser headphones this last week, and they are the best I've ever used.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

It's good to know that Dell has a few good products, because I would never buy their computers, mainly because I remember how crazy their cases were back in tthe day (it was like a clamshell, and you couldn't hardly get into them); they improved upon them some when I last worked on them, but still a crazy setup if you had to replace the mobo. I'll definitely give their LCD a chance, and might wait for the 2405FPW to go down (it's like 1000 bucks right now, so yeah, lol). :rolleyes: